The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Matter How Badly the Canucks Handled Their Goalie Situation...

RGC

And many goalie situations of years past, they can take solace in the fact that the Flyers will always handle goalie situations worse, and that Philadelphia will always be the league's worst goalie graveyard.

Letting Bobrovsky go when he should've been learning from Bryzgalov was bad (or, one might even say that they didn't need to get Bryz in the first place), but the irony in then having to take Mason from the Blue Jackets was just hilariously brutal. I'm glad to know the Canucks aren't the worst in this regard.

I haven't put much thought into our goalie graveyard situation in quite some time. Having thought about it now for a couple minutes, I'm starting to wonder if our lack of goalies for many years was due to the lack of talented goalies, and nothing really to do with the fans, media, etc ?

What comes first: the chicken or the egg? Chicken=fans and media criticism, Egg=poor goalie performances

FTR this long sought question has been solved by evolutionary scientists for a long time. The egg came first, and it came from an animal that had similar traits as a chicken. This animal wasn't quite yet considered a chicken as we know it, but rather an evolutionary ancestor of the eventual chicken that would hatch from said egg. This should explain where I stand on the apparent "Vancouver goalie graveyard" myth. If you aren't able to decipher what I mean: poor goalie performance comes first ie. the onus is on the goalies and not the fans and media. Another example is Schneider, will he get run out of town at some point? Well, that depends on how he plays. If he begins to play and collapse like Lou did then I think the answer is yes. Are the fans and media to blame for Lou's collapses, IMO that's a big NO. Controversial on these boards, I know, but this is where I stand.

Philly isn't a goalie graveyard either, they just need to pick better goalies; something the Canucks have done in keeping Schneids.

Jester 13,

Thanks for sneaking away from the MIT think tank to provide us with that analogy. It's hard to believe you came up with that after only a couple minutes of thinking!   If I attempt to decipher your meaning with my feeble brain...poor goalie performances came before fan/media criticism.  However; the poor goalie performances were created by  a type of fan/media criticism that had similar traits as current fans and media criticism, right?

you seem to know more about our goalie situation than i do. i heard gillis had a deal done with toronto but lu nixed it because his agent told him that florida was going to make a major push for him...perhaps gillis misjudged what he thought he could get for lu....

perhaps the fault falls on lu...

Canucks have all star goalie. Roberto Luongo. He is starter

Playoff comes. He lets in one too many goals.

Coach makes a tough decision and Starts Cory in game 4.

Cory Shines.

Luongo indirectly asks for trade.

Management agrees.

Luongo loses starting position to Cory.

Cory is now number 1, and doing his job well.

I don't see what the problem here is. Cory performed better and is rewarded the number 1 title. Nothing wrong here. Management is doing the best for both players, but I agree. There are teams with much worst goalie situations then us. Luongo lost the starting role on his own.

Canucks have all star goalie. Roberto Luongo. He is starter

Playoff comes. He lets in one too many goals.

Coach makes a tough decision and Starts Cory in game 4.

Cory Shines.

Luongo indirectly asks for trade.

Management agrees.

Luongo loses starting position to Cory.

Cory is now number 1, and doing his job well.

I don't see what the problem here is. Cory performed better and is rewarded the number 1 title. Nothing wrong here. Management is doing the best for both players, but I agree. There are teams with much worst goalie situations then us. Luongo lost the starting role on his own.

Archived