The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Matter How Badly the Canucks Handled Their Goalie Situation...

RGC

I wonder if Bryz will be the one to take over for Don Cherry when he finally retires. Both show an unbelievable ability to not use a filter on what they say. Joking aside, that would be one entertaining intermission show. Could you imagine the two of them on the air together... Who would get to ramble during the limited airtime? Cherry or Bryz?

And many goalie situations of years past, they can take solace in the fact that the Flyers will always handle goalie situations worse, and that Philadelphia will always be the league's worst goalie graveyard.

Letting Bobrovsky go when he should've been learning from Bryzgalov was bad (or, one might even say that they didn't need to get Bryz in the first place), but the irony in then having to take Mason from the Blue Jackets was just hilariously brutal. I'm glad to know the Canucks aren't the worst in this regard.

The idea that Vancouver is a goalie graveyard was dead and buried the day Luongo arrived here.

Now what Vancouver is is a goddamn goalie GARDEN.

Having two great goaltenders may have been questionable if the roster weren't so bloody deep.

The acquisition of Roy pretty much nullifies any point in complaining about or questioning the way Gillis has handled the situation.

Luongo could still prove to be an extremely valuable player to have this playoffs.

In any event, to have moved him would have meant having to bring in a backup and waste asset value in the process, when Eddie Lack is in line for that job next year when he regains his health.

If Luo had been moved there a very good chance that the backup would have become the position with the most room to upgrade.

If you look at the existing roster, imo it's worth looking at it this way - where is there room, and how much, for a significant upgrade?

You can't say the Canucks have "screwed up" the goalie situation until it's resolved. If we turn Lou into something better than two 2nd rounders and Scrivens (or have to call upon him to play during our made-for-tv-miraculous cup run) it can be quite fairly argued Gillis made a patient and wise decision.

And many goalie situations of years past, they can take solace in the fact that the Flyers will always handle goalie situations worse, and that Philadelphia will always be the league's worst goalie graveyard.

Letting Bobrovsky go when he should've been learning from Bryzgalov was bad (or, one might even say that they didn't need to get Bryz in the first place), but the irony in then having to take Mason from the Blue Jackets was just hilariously brutal. I'm glad to know the Canucks aren't the worst in this regard.

Brobovsky got a new goalie coach in Columbus and changed his style. The style Philly's goalie coach wasn't working for him and thats why he was doing poorly there. I remember hearing one of the sports guys explain it and it made sense, can't remember who though.

Goalie tandem in the playoffs? How many teams win the stanley cup without a clear number one in the playoffs? The 2008 Red Wings might be an exception, I can't remember how that played out, but that would be the exception to the rule.

Archived