The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next yrs team

I had posted this to another thread a few months back and this is what I'd like to see. Given that it seems like Corrado is ready (albeit only a couple of games but he can manage a bottom pairing as he's better than most of our bottom right now)...some minor tweaks to my original proposal

We are still lacking the hands/size combination, aggressiveness/hitting, and hunger we need to win a cup. As such here are my thoughts (albeit challenging to do all of them) that could really turn us into a TOUGH team to play against, and one that's built for the playoff grind, and that can play any style.

Right now our 2014 cap is 60 million, it is expected to be 64 million so here are my views.

First things first

1.Ballard and Tostito (resign and trade) for Matt Martin and a 2nd round pick. isles will be desperate for dmen as many of theirs are aging and are ufas.

2. Do not re-sign Manny (known) and Ebbett.

3. Lou and Booth for a first, third and a depth winger or dman

4. Sign David Clarkson for 4.25 ml and Torres for 2.25.

5. Sign Boyd Gordon or Steckel for the fourth line and let Roy go

6. Resign Lappy for 2.0 ml

This team will have size on every line. Someone who can score and hit with the Sedins (and take some pressure off Kassian and let him develop properly).Clarkson has size, uses it, can fight and will drop em, protect the Sedins and can score, has very good hands, good cycler and around the net/tough areas.

Move Kassian with Burr and Kesler. Size on that line, Burr can be the playmaker, that would be one annoying and tough line to play against.

Third line, issue for me here was I don't like a Mayray, Roy/Schroeder, Hansen line in the playoffs (lacking size). Move Lappy up and play him with Higgins and Hansen and you have one of the toughest checking lines to deal with in the NHL they can become one of the best shutdown lines in the league with their grit and defensive play, can pop a few when needed too.

Fourth line become- Martin, Gordon/Steckel, and Torres. I would guarantee you every team in the NHL will just HATE that line. Gordon, tough two way center, Martin is the biggest hitter in the NHL and we all know what Torres brings. Steckel is a terrific faceoff man and good fourth liner with size if we can’t get Gordon.

AV can now roll all four lines like he did in the run. I like the depth, the size, the toughness, and scoring ability. We still have Schroeder, Jensen in the minors as well as Gaunce as potential call ups.

Nothing drastic, but shows how a couple small changes can really change the dynamic, and size of this team

Line up.

Daniel Henrik Clarkson

6.1 / 6.1/ 4.25 = 16

Burrows Kelser Kassian

4.5 / 5/ .875 = 10.4

Higgins Lappierre Hansen

2.5 / 2.0 / 1.35 = 5.85

Martin Gordon/Steckel/Torres

1 / 2.0 / 2.5= 5.5

Forwards = 37.75

Hamhuis Bieksa

4.5 / 4.6 = 9.1

Edler Tanev

5 / 2 = 7

Garrison / Corrado

4.6 /1 = 5.6

Defense = 21.6

Schnieds

Lack

Total = 64.225 Mil – right on the nose

1. Trade Booth and Ballard for 3rd/4th round picks. Someone will bite at that price.

2. Trade Luongo for a 2014 1st, 2013 3rd and a prospect.

3. Let Manny walk

4. Sign B. Gordon 2 yrs at 1.4M

5. Sign Lapierre 4 yrs at 1.4M

6. Sign O'Byrne 1 yr at 1.8M

7. Sign Alberts 1 yr at 1.225M

8. Sign Tanev 2 yr at 1.4M

9. Sign Weise, Archibald <700k each

10. Sign Regin 2 yr at 850k

11. Sign Raymond 2 yr at 2.75M

12. Sign Ellis 1 yr at 800k

- Gordon and Lapierre are both defensive centers that can play 3rd or 4th depending on who is playing better/chemistry.

- Alberts' play has improved and O'Byrne is a big physical RHD, could be a good bottom pairing for big tough teams.

- Tanev re-signing is obvious

- Ellis wanted to play here this season, I am sure that has not changed

- Regin is an upgrade on depth C over Ebbett

- Weise has shown flashes of being a good player, Archibald improved this year, could be a good fit for 4th line.

- Raymond is more likely to take a discount than Roy; He has played here for years, and has his best friend playing on the team now (Garrison)

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Mason Raymond ($2.750m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.400m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Darren Archibald ($0.660m) / Boyd Gordon ($1.400m) / Dale Weise ($0.677m)

Peter Regin ($0.850m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Chris Tanev ($1.400m)

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Ryan O'Byrne ($1.800m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider (4.000m)

Dan Ellis ($0.800m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,680,944; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,619,056

1. Trade Booth and Ballard for 3rd/4th round picks. Someone will bite at that price.

2. Trade Luongo for a 2014 1st, 2013 3rd and a prospect.

3. Let Manny walk

4. Sign B. Gordon 2 yrs at 1.4M

5. Sign Lapierre 4 yrs at 1.4M

6. Sign O'Byrne 1 yr at 1.8M

7. Sign Alberts 1 yr at 1.225M

8. Sign Tanev 2 yr at 1.4M

9. Sign Weise, Archibald <700k each

10. Sign Regin 2 yr at 850k

11. Sign Raymond 2 yr at 2.75M

12. Sign Ellis 1 yr at 800k

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Mason Raymond ($2.750m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.400m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Darren Archibald ($0.660m) / Boyd Gordon ($1.400m) / Dale Weise ($0.677m)

Peter Regin ($0.850m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Chris Tanev ($1.400m)

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Ryan O'Byrne ($1.800m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Dan Ellis ($0.800m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,014,278; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $285,722

Here's what I'd like to see:

Get rid of Luongo, Ballard and Booth. (how Gillis does it, I don't care. He could buy out 2 and trade one, w/e)

Let Alberts, Barker, Raymond and Roy walk.

Sign David Clarkson and Tyler Bozak

Lineup:

Sedin-Sedin-Clarkson

Burrows-Kesler-Higgins

Hansen-Bozak-Kassian

Weise-Lapierre-Sestito/Pinnizotto

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Tanev

Garrison-Corrado

Schneider

Lack

I had posted this to another thread a few months back and this is what I'd like to see. Given that it seems like Corrado is ready (albeit only a couple of games but he can manage a bottom pairing as he's better than most of our bottom right now)...some minor tweaks to my original proposal

We are still lacking the hands/size combination, aggressiveness/hitting, and hunger we need to win a cup. As such here are my thoughts (albeit challenging to do all of them) that could really turn us into a TOUGH team to play against, and one that's built for the playoff grind, and that can play any style.

Right now our 2014 cap is 60 million, it is expected to be 64 million so here are my views.

First things first

1.Ballard and Tostito (resign and trade) for Matt Martin and a 2nd round pick. isles will be desperate for dmen as many of theirs are aging and are ufas.

2. Do not re-sign Manny (known) and Ebbett.

3. Lou and Booth for a first, third and a depth winger or dman

4. Sign David Clarkson for 4.25 ml and Torres for 2.25.

5. Sign Boyd Gordon or Steckel for the fourth line and let Roy go

6. Resign Lappy for 2.0 ml

This team will have size on every line. Someone who can score and hit with the Sedins (and take some pressure off Kassian and let him develop properly).Clarkson has size, uses it, can fight and will drop em, protect the Sedins and can score, has very good hands, good cycler and around the net/tough areas.

Move Kassian with Burr and Kesler. Size on that line, Burr can be the playmaker, that would be one annoying and tough line to play against.

Third line, issue for me here was I don't like a Mayray, Roy/Schroeder, Hansen line in the playoffs (lacking size). Move Lappy up and play him with Higgins and Hansen and you have one of the toughest checking lines to deal with in the NHL they can become one of the best shutdown lines in the league with their grit and defensive play, can pop a few when needed too.

Fourth line become- Martin, Gordon/Steckel, and Torres. I would guarantee you every team in the NHL will just HATE that line. Gordon, tough two way center, Martin is the biggest hitter in the NHL and we all know what Torres brings. Steckel is a terrific faceoff man and good fourth liner with size if we can’t get Gordon.

AV can now roll all four lines like he did in the run. I like the depth, the size, the toughness, and scoring ability. We still have Schroeder, Jensen in the minors as well as Gaunce as potential call ups.

Nothing drastic, but shows how a couple small changes can really change the dynamic, and size of this team

Line up.

Daniel Henrik Clarkson

6.1 / 6.1/ 4.25 = 16

Burrows Kelser Kassian

4.5 / 5/ .875 = 10.4

Higgins Lappierre Hansen

2.5 / 2.0 / 1.35 = 5.85

Martin Gordon/Steckel/Torres

1 / 2.0 / 2.5= 5.5

Forwards = 37.75

Hamhuis Bieksa

4.5 / 4.6 = 9.1