The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

For 30 Pieces of Silver St. Johns County, FL School Board Denies Student Led Prayer. Citizens Speak Out!

Heretic

WC...just wondering on this...but if they disallowed the Commandments from the school because they wished to separate church and state...then why in the world would they allow them on property belonging to the state government? doesn't that violate the "church and state" reasoning cited for the prohibition of it from the school? I should think having it on the grounds of a governmental building would violate that much more than a school...

It's not a witch - the actual title of that picture (which a friend's daughter has let me use) is called "Devil's Servent" he's a drow/dark elf/...

The paper bag was my idea after the Canucks fell out of first in the division because they were playing so poorly...and being a superstitious Canucks fan...I don't want to change it as they have been playing quite well since I did it. ;)

People are free to believe it (personally I do not) but that is why freedom of religion is a core value in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. However I cannot be forced to adopt any particular version of religion.

As the SCOC said in the very first case that it decided under the right to freedom of religion under the Charter ( R. v. Big M Drug Mart Ltd., [1985] 1 S.C.R. 295) in respect of the Lord's Day Act that freedom of religion includes freedom from religion.

Decided in 1985, Big M Drug Mart [4] Big M was the first freedom of religion case to reach the Supreme Court of Canada after the advent of the Charter. The Big M case was a challenge to the validity of the Lord’s Day Act that required retailers to close their shops on Sundays. The argument was that this compelled non-believers to comply with the Christian Sabbath, and therefore was a violation of the freedom of religion. The Court agreed. To be “free” means that one cannot be coerced into any religious observance contrary to his own — freedom of religion includes freedom from religion The Lord’s Day Act was coercing Big M Drug Mart into forcing its employees to observe the Christian Sabbath, which violated the Charter’s freedom of religion guarantee.

WC...just wondering on this...but if they disallowed the Commandments from the school because they wished to separate church and state...then why in the world would they allow them on property belonging to the state government? doesn't that violate the "church and state" reasoning cited for the prohibition of it from the school? I should think having it on the grounds of a governmental building would violate that much more than a school...

Just read this - I'm assuming this can't happen in the US as the government has to be neutral:

http://www.stephensa...cle-helmet.html

"In the case Dhillon v. British Columbia, the court ruled that defending the religious rights of Sikhs to honor their tradition of wearing turbans trumps any safety precautions that inspired Canada's helmet laws. As a result, Sikhs are now allowed to leave their helmets at home in order to ride their motorcycles with a turban on their head."

Don't you think someone could make a plausible case though that the god mentioned on American money, in the pledge of allegiance and on certain US government buildings is in fact endorsing a rather specific religion (particularly when we think of the historical context of when these were added)? i don't know, i always thought the impressionability of children argument was kind of a cop-out.

The historical context being it was the mid 50's and McCarthyism was running rampant in this country and "the only good commie was a dead commie" and the whole paranoia about communism and unfounded nonsense about Communism promoting atheism. While it's true that there were some communist regimes that had that kind of attitude...it's simply a matter of fear mongering..in my opinion.. and the fear mongering to me is the only real reason religion of any kind is around anymore.

One of my all time favorites:

GE 19:4-8 A group of sexually depraved men demands that Lot turn over to them his two male visitors. Lot offers his two virgin daughters instead.

GE 19:30-38 Lot's daughters have sexual intercourse with him while he is drunk and both become pregnant by their father.

And Lot was the GODLY man in town. If I wanted to teach my kids about morality...why in the world would I want to turn to the King James Bible? I'd find more morality in the Rick James Bible.

GE 19:4-8 A group of sexually depraved men demands that Lot turn over to them his two male visitors. Lot offers his two virgin daughters instead.

GE 19:30-38 Lot's daughters have sexual intercourse with him while he is drunk and both become pregnant by their father.

And Lot was the GODLY man in town. If I wanted to teach my kids about morality...why in the world would I want to turn to the King James Bible? I'd find more morality in the Rick James Bible.

LOL...did I really just read that...did I really just read someone defending this Lot character having incestuous relations with his own daughters...agree with Torts. Why in the world would the Creator of the ENTIRE universe...who is supposedly omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent...be weighed down with such barbaric attributes? And if this god is omniscient...why would he curse adam eve and the serpent for what they'd done? If he was omniscient...he'd certainly known full well, ahead of time...what would happen...unless he's not omniscient...which is the far more likely explanation....and which would also mean he's neither omnipotent or omnipresent either...which would explain why we're on our own on this planet and the only good there is is measured by how human beings treat each other. Religion does more to divide people than it ever has done uniting them...and that's why it's poisonous.

LOL...did I really just read that...did I really just read someone defending this Lot character having incestuous relations with his own daughters...agree with Torts. Why in the world would the Creator of the ENTIRE universe...who is supposedly omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent...be weighed down with such barbaric attributes? And if this god is omniscient...why would he curse adam eve and the serpent for what they'd done? If he was omniscient...he'd certainly known full well, ahead of time...what would happen...unless he's not omniscient...which is the far more likely explanation....and which would also mean he's neither omnipotent or omnipresent either...which would explain why we're on our own on this planet and the only good there is is measured by how human beings treat each other. Religion does more to divide people than it ever has done uniting them...and that's why it's poisonous.

Archived