Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Atheism is a form of Autism

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
106 replies to this topic

#1 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

Atheism is a form of autism according to a health association in Turkey.
http://www.hurriyetd...puzvKB0.twitter

Autism associations around Turkey have reacted angrily after the head of Adana’s Health and Education Associations for Autistic Children reportedly said autistic children were “atheists due to a
lack of a section for faith in their brains.”

“Autistic children do not know how to believe in God because they do not have a section for faith in their brains,” sociologist Fehmi Kaya reportedly said. “That is why they don’t know how to pray, how to believe in God. It is necessary to create awareness [or religion] in these children through methods of therapy.”

He also reportedly said atheism was a form of autism.

Kaya’s statement caused a strong backlash in the country, with individuals and associations speaking out against his remarks. The president for the Association of Protection of Autistic Children (ODER), Engin Güngör, told the Hürriyet Daily News that the remarks were “unfortunate.”

“I do not know what purpose the statement serves,” Güngör said, adding that the media should also be sensitive toward the exposure of such statements.

“This is a statement that could upset around 3.5 to 4 million people,” Güngör said. “We believe that the press should feel the responsibility of that as well, and should look better into these things before publishing them.”

Kaya told the Daily News that his remarks had been taken out of context, with news reports “fixating on autism.”

“The message I wished to give was not about autism and atheism, but to highlight that these children cannot communicate, cannot form empathy, live in their own worlds and are isolated. I meant that we should take them out of their isolation with proper therapy methods,” he said.

Kaya said development came in layers and that as autistic children developed further socially and mentally, a dimension of faith would also be developed.

“I meant that they were disabled, in a way, like a hearing disability, because they are not aware of why people believe. I did not say that all autistic people are atheists,” Kaya said, adding that faith would “normally” exist in kids.

Therapy sessions 'to make believers’

Kaya also said they would turn autistic children into believers through sessions that would be offered for free at therapy centers in the future.

The sessions, which have been confirmed by the Culture Houses of Adana’s Yüreğir Municipality, are set to start in June and will be able to serve over 30 children. The same houses will also offer further therapy sessions for children with disabilities.

When asked whether or not the houses aimed at turning autistic children into believers, a Culture House official confirmed the matter, but Kaya denied such objectives.

“Every child understands when you tell him or her to fear God, but an autistic child will not,” Kaya told the Daily News. “Once he starts to develop normally, belief will come in time. We do not have the idea of creating a section for faith in their brains.”

There's worse things than being born with autism, that's for damn sure.
(Can you guess what it is?)

Edited by Stefan, 23 April 2013 - 05:45 PM.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#2 Alchemy Time

Alchemy Time

State Alchemist

• Members
  • 3,944 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

Kind of a weird thing to say. Sure, they can say that autistic kids are atheists, but to say atheism is autism? Weird.
Posted Image

#3 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

My late biological mother was autistic..and it's been suggested many times by teachers, my adopted parents, family etc that I may be as well but I've never seen anyone or been interested enough to find out. It certainly might explain a lot.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#4 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

So according to the article, autism is quite common?

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#5 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

I like to keep things simple. Figure that without the sun we are all doomed so I personally give thanks to the giant burning star in the sky. What does that make me? What is a sun worshipper?

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#6 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:53 PM

I like to keep things simple. Figure that without the sun we are all doomed so I personally give thanks to the giant burning star in the sky. What does that make me? What is a sun worshipper?

Ed there is this thing called google you goofball.

I think I just found what religion you could be;

Universalistic Sun Worship is a religion, in which the followers adhere to the 6 principles of Universalistic Sun Worship.
1. The existence of god is impossible to prove (or disprove) and impossible for a human to comprehend its true form; therefore, we give thanks to things we can understand. We praise the Sun and the Earth for providing us with life and sustenance.
2. The Sun is the source of life on Earth. It provides humanity with food (through farms), shelter (through trees), warmth (through electromagnetic radiation) and it allowed star dust to combine and form the rock know as the Earth (through gravity). So we give thanks to the Sun, every day.
3. The Earth, being the second most important object for humanity's survival, so it must be protected and maintained for as long as humanity calls Earth home. We also give thanks to the Earth daily.
4. Humans and animals act based on their beliefs and instincts and since humans have no control over their beliefs or instincts, therefore Universalistic Sun Worshiper believes that all living creatures go to heaven (or some sort of afterlife), are reborn into a new life form, or just die and rot in the Earth. Since it is impossible to know which one is true, it is up to each individual follower to decide which one they believe is true.
5. The Great Hierarchy must be followed.
The Great Hierarchy is as follows: The Sun-The Biosphere-Humanity-Animal Life
The Great Hierarchy generally works as follows: if the Sun is threatened then all things below it must do what is in their power to protect it (although this highly unlikely as the sun is the more powerful then everything currently below it). Next would be the Biosphere. If it is threatened then the Humanity must do what is needed to protect it, even if that means the death of some, but never all, of Humanity. Finally, if humanity is threatened, including a single member, then any number of animals can be killed in order to save its life (although killing in excess should be avoided).
6. All religions are created equally and since any or all of them maybe the true religion of god (if there is a god), then no human can rightly say that a religion is bad or wrong. With the exception of religions that have the consequences of the destruction of the Biosphere, the Sun, or human lives.

http://www.urbandict...p&defid=2604794

I like it. Who's up for church on Sundays.... At the beach.

Edited by Special Ed, 23 April 2013 - 05:58 PM.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

#7 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,621 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

Given the report is based out of Turkey.. *crumples it up and throws it away.
Posted Image

#8 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,766 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

Autism is a disorder of neural development characterized by impaired social interaction and communication, and by restricted and repetitive behavior.

Restricted to posting in threads about religion to bash religion.

Repetition in making these posts and threads. Neverending.

Impaired social abilities. Impaired communication skills.

Hmm, sounds like Sharpshooter to me.

comeundone.gif

#9 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

Oh snap google strikes again. I think I just found what religion I could be;

Universalistic Sun Worship is a religion, in which the followers adhere to the 6 principles of Universalistic Sun Worship.
1. The existence of god is impossible to prove (or disprove) and impossible for a human to comprehend its true form; therefore, we give thanks to things we can understand. We praise the Sun and the Earth for providing us with life and sustenance.
2. The Sun is the source of life on Earth. It provides humanity with food (through farms), shelter (through trees), warmth (through electromagnetic radiation) and it allowed star dust to combine and form the rock know as the Earth (through gravity). So we give thanks to the Sun, every day.
3. The Earth, being the second most important object for humanity's survival, so it must be protected and maintained for as long as humanity calls Earth home. We also give thanks to the Earth daily.
4. Humans and animals act based on their beliefs and instincts and since humans have no control over their beliefs or instincts, therefore Universalistic Sun Worshiper believes that all living creatures go to heaven (or some sort of afterlife), are reborn into a new life form, or just die and rot in the Earth. Since it is impossible to know which one is true, it is up to each individual follower to decide which one they believe is true.
The Great Hierarchy generally works as follows: if the Sun is threatened then all things below it must do what is in their power to protect it (although this highly unlikely as the sun is the more powerful then everything currently below it). Next would be the Biosphere. If it is threatened then the Humanity must do what is needed to protect it, even if that means the death of some, but never all, of Humanity. Finally, if humanity is threatened, including a single member, then any number of animals can be killed in order to save its life (although killing in excess should be avoided).
6. All religions are created equally and since any or all of them maybe the true religion of god (if there is a god), then no human can rightly say that a religion is bad or wrong. With the exception of religions that have the consequences of the destruction of the Biosphere, the Sun, or human lives.

lol schizophrenia much? ;) Don't feel bad...I do that too...make a post asking a question then responding to myself. It will get habit forming though. Beware. ;)
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#10 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

Restricted to posting in threads about religion to bash religion.

Repetition in making these posts and threads. Neverending.

Impaired social abilities. Impaired communication skills.

Hmm, sounds like Sharpshooter to me.

Care to explain that little gibe? It describes me too...I've never been a social guy...never had many real life friends...hardly speak to anyone who isn't offline unless it's at my job...and religion deserves to be bashed...it's nothing but mind control (read money control) and doesn't assist in the evolution of our species but acts as an obstruction. Superstitious hokum for people afraid of the dark.
Posted Image

#11 Dancin'Droid

Dancin'Droid

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

I think I just found what religion you could be;

I like it. Who's up for church on Sundays.... At the beach.

You got yourself quite a religion there. It seems like it is a way to believe in God, but avoid being christian, catholic, etc.

The article itself is something different and seems like a stretch. At least it proves I'm not autistic.

DancingAndroidYellow-1.gif

2013 Kent Jr. Football Champion

2014 Bronze Boot

2014 Kent Sr. Football Champion

2014 SWOSSA Football Finalist 

#12 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:03 PM

lol schizophrenia much? ;) Don't feel bad...I do that too...make a post asking a question then responding to myself. It will get habit forming though. Beware. ;)

Yeah maybe you're right. Guess I could be atheist after all. :P Also posting mobile has a strange effect on me. Sometimes I think about doing damaging things to my phone but then realize I could need it.

#13 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:03 PM

dammit i have autism now too :(
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#14 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,766 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

Hey fair enough. It describes you too, Scott Hartnell's Mane?

Care to explain that little gibe? It describes me too...I've never been a social guy...never had many real life friends...hardly speak to anyone who isn't offline unless it's at my job...and religion deserves to be bashed...it's nothing but mind control (read money control) and doesn't assist in the evolution of our species but acts as an obstruction. Superstitious hokum for people afraid of the dark.

comeundone.gif

#15 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

It can also describe me as well... While I do have a few number of friends, I'm not a very social person, unless I'm drunk.

I also believe that religion is mostly just mind control.

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#16 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,766 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

Repetition and restrictive behavior?

comeundone.gif

#17 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

You know though with me it goes in a cycle almost...there are certain "times" of the year when I am more vocal about atheism than others...during those times I'm also very vocal about animal rights, and any other cause I undertake...there's one thing about me...if I take an interest in something, I immerse myself in it...I want to learn anything and everything about it...whether it be a genre of music or a specific band or something relating to physics or astronomy or chemistry..or man if there's like a TV show that I really really get into...(the last one I did this with was Trailer Park Boys) I will sit and watch episode after episode for hours on end, no sleep...it becomes almost obsessive with me..I literally did nothing in the three months after I came back from Hawaii except sit and watch the Trailer Park Boys..every single episode...like 5 times each..plus the movies and the Drunk and on Drugs Happy Fun Time Hour. I guess the good news is my interests do change every few months or so...with only cannabis activism and vegetarianism/anti-Monsanto and religious skepticism being prominent all year round.
Posted Image

#18 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

I sincerely wish people would just leave this stuff alone, maaan.

If someone wants to believe in god, let em believe in god. If some turbo Christian knocks at your door expecting your wallet or your soul, don't answer.

If someone doesn't want to believe in god, who cares? If some awkward atheist with really awful taste in music goes to your favourite forum and spams hatespeech with a wide brush, just close the thread.

Why do people only communicate in extremes?

You clowns ain't got no sensitivity.

Live and let live

212e8lw.jpg

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#19 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

If someone wants to believe in god, let em believe in god. If some turbo Christian knocks at your door expecting your wallet or your soul, don't answer.

If someone doesn't want to believe in god, who cares? If some awkward atheist with really awful taste in music goes to your favourite forum and spams hatespeech with a wide brush, just close the thread.

Live and let live

A: Jesus Christ is THAT ever the pot calling the kettle black
B: Show me one place where I have ever said anything deliberately hateful and offensive towards ANYONE because of what they choose to believe. It's called the freedom of speech, the freedom of one's own opinion, and the freedom of expression. If you don't like it, tough.
Posted Image

#20 logic

logic

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

Believe in whatever you want, just don't impress your thoughts on others, and don't generalize and try to think for them.

bijp77.jpg

Credit to VC

#21 logic

logic

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

A: Jesus Christ is THAT ever the pot calling the kettle black
B: Show me one place where I have ever said anything deliberately hateful and offensive towards ANYONE because of what they choose to believe. It's called the freedom of speech, the freedom of one's own opinion, and the freedom of expression. If you don't like it, tough.

What else do you expect from the guy who made the "Christmas thread nerdy atheists stay out"

bijp77.jpg

Credit to VC

#22 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

What else do you expect from the guy who made the "Christmas thread nerdy atheists stay out"

I'm sorry I must have missed that little gem. :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#23 logic

logic

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

I'm sorry I must have missed that little gem. :rolleyes:

Then complains we rag his religion, nice logic.

bijp77.jpg

Credit to VC

#24 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

Profound ignorance seems to attach itself to religious questions.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#25 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

Then complains we rag his religion, nice logic.

The guy is the embodiment of a troll. I don't expect much when entering a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
Posted Image

#26 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

Live and let live

So a health association is allowed to say this crap but I can't post it on a forum?
It's insulting, and psychotic.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#27 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

so now that i am autistic what do i win?

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

#28 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

So a health association is allowed to say this crap but I can't post it on a forum?

uh, not really what i meant

so now that i am autistic what do i win?

a Dimmu Borgir CD prize pack!

212e8lw.jpg

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#29 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

His post was a thinly veiled personal attack on me that has not gone unnoticed. He had nothing relevant to add to the conversation so he chose to sling mud. I'm used to it by now, but growing tired of it.
Posted Image

#30 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,137 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

That means Autistic people can't believe in a God, which is not true.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.