39 replies to this topic

#31 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

Volpatti has taken on the likes of Douglas Murray, Ryan Reaves, and Andy Sutton. He doesn't appear to care who his opponent is.

He was asked multiple times by Thornton in a game against the Bruins but didn't oblige; Hendricks had to answer for the team (they were being pushed around pretty bad that game) Plus, McQuaid was there as well, and he din't fight him.

But Volpatti is a better option than Pinizzotto.... I still have no idea why Gillis sent him down...

Sestito is better in his own zone and makes our team look tougher(mocks useless celly's like Yakupov's as well), but he doesn't do much other than that.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#32 Systemaddict

Systemaddict

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:42 AM

Good for him...but I don't get this whining over who is better. Sestito was got because we lost him - they filled that 'hole' so to speak. Sestito is also younger. Has 3 more points in 14 fewer career games. He's harder to play against because of his size and will drop with anyone, even if he isn't the best fighter. If you're really going to complain about plugs, then you have to look at everything. Sestito has more upside, especially being younger.

Maybe Volpatti will prove he was the better player to have, but so far he hasn't really. Let's see if either of them gets playoff minutes and what they do with them. Then we can talk about it with more perspective.

#33 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

Volpatti brings WAY more energy than any other player on our 4th line.

Volpatti > Sestito/Weise/Pinizzotto

#34 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

Pinizzotto has been a disaster, a huge disappointment after all the waiting and expectation.

Sestito is just a total black hole. He lacks just about everything a hockey player needs. Jeez to think we thought Macari wasn't good enough for our 4th line and now we play dopes like these.

At least you thought Volpatti knew what he was supposed to do and did it well. I always thought he had more but playing with Weise, who thought he was too good to pass to Volpatti was always going to hold him back.

Edited by hockeyville88, 30 April 2013 - 12:08 PM.

Kevin.jpg

#35 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,482 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:33 AM

To be honest, I'd rather have a 4th line that hits like a freight train, and can contribute to offense, and keep the puck hemmed in the oppositions zone.

Finding a talented goon is very rare these days.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#36 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:54 PM

Good on him, I'm glad to see he'll be sticking around the NHL.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#37 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,446 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:04 AM

In all honesty, neither are game-changing 4th liners. That's what we need to be successful, and with a fully healthy forward group that's exactly what we have:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Hansen
Raymond - Roy - Kassian
Booth - Lapierre - Weise

That's the depth you need to win a Cup. You don't win Cups with guys like Volpatti and Sestito playing in the playoffs on the 4th line.
Posted Image

#38 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

Volpatti brings WAY more energy than any other player on our 4th line.

Volpatti > Sestito/Weise/Pinizzotto

If weiss actually played his role or pinz this issue wouldnt be an issue

Volpatti and Sestito bring different roles to fourth.

Volpatti is the hitter, energy guy
Lappierre is the all around in your face, tough to play against center
Sestito is the big body, enforcer, you send him out to send a message when the likes of Lucic start taking liberties

not every player on the 4th line brings the same skills or plays the same role and as you can see my argument is volpatti is not comparable to sestito.

I think sestito plays his role well.

The argument was weiss/pinz vs volpatti and clearly that was the error because neither of those guys play as hard as he did. Weiss can but thinks he's the dutch gretz and needs to understand his role, he aint a scorer in this league and never will be. Go use your speed and hit. He's good defensively so needs to show he understands his role.

Pinz, well I haven't really been impressed. I don't see what he brings. Seems to just be 'there' vs making an impact at his very basic role, that being, go hit, make it tough for dmen and forwards and tire em out by constantly hitting them...

As someone showed above his hits per shift are not that great for a good skater, and being a good skater is key to hitting, because you get in fast and on top of people...so i dont get it...

anyways...thats all i got

#39 ~AngelBelle~

~AngelBelle~

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:38 AM

Volpatti has been my favorite 4th liner since glass. Now they're all nobodies to me.

#40 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

In all honesty, neither are game-changing 4th liners. That's what we need to be successful, and with a fully healthy forward group that's exactly what we have:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Hansen
Raymond - Roy - Kassian
Booth - Lapierre - Weise

That's the depth you need to win a Cup. You don't win Cups with guys like Volpatti and Sestito playing in the playoffs on the 4th line.

How do Higgins and Hansen get on your 2nd line. Are you watching the playoffs? Are you watching other teams? They would do us some good with Lapierre on the 4th and that's about it. Weise, Booth Roy...........gone! Kassian? a hard years coaching in the farm.

I look at your whole bottom 3 lines and I see Kesler and Raymond..........you couldn't win a tea cup with that team. Oh yeh we would probably sneak into the playoffs again on the back of the Sedins, Kes, Raymond and one of our goalies but that would be it.........finito.....last man out, put off the lights.

Edited by Bodee, 15 May 2013 - 08:20 AM.

Kevin.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Signing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.