The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schneider injured.

Ourgodluongo

- Did you ever be the man between the pipes? Of course our job is to keep our team in the game BUT when you know your team isn't able to score goal you let one quick goal, a bad one or a perfect play by the opponent I don't mind, you know your chance to win are close to none because tie game in playoffs don't exist. So you're putting more pressure on yourself, having pressure it's alright but too much, specially for a goalie isn't a good thing. Beeing a keeper is like walking on a tightrope, too aggresive you let a goal in too relax you let a goal in.

- If we scored 10 more goals in that serie, there is an high chance we could have won a game 4 - 3 instead of losing it 3 - 2. What more do you need to accept the fact our offence didn't show up, we scored 8 goals in 7 games so to get a win our goalie need to get a shoutout every night...

- Where was our 2 Art Ross Trophy winner? Where was Kesler's scoring touch?(+40 goals that season) Where was the goals that usually came from Ehrhoff and Salo?

- Players never asked for 10 years contract, the GM came with those kind of offer to have cap hit as low as possible, would Luongo at that time could agree with a 6.5m$/year for let say 6 years, pretty sure he would have accept that, he received 6,7m$ this year(if it wasn't of the lockout) you have to keep in mind the last 3 or 4 years of his contract aren't expensive.

No sorry that doesnt make sense, if they know Cory wont be ready for the playoffs do you really think they will play Luongo in a meaningless game on Saturday and risk an injury and starting Canaata for the playoffs. If Lu is going to start game 1 then Lu will not be playing in Edmonton

Forsberg u said "it would have been nice for our MVP to come up with a save "

There are two actual MVP s on our team in the sedin twins that just got shut down all series.

I'm sorry but ill never agree with u on the scf. Lui was the reason we didn't get swept and humiliated or lost in five games

... that's what seems to divide lui fans and people that don't like him. Some think he cost us the scf, some know that he kept us in it.

Honestly, I'd rather Luongo play the first couple of playoff games for us. He deserves to get that after his classy attitude through a difficult season.

For those who think Lu would be a downgrade (and I don't necessarily agree), then keep in mind that even with good goaltending as opposed to stellar goaltending, we should never be bounced from the first round if the rest of the team plays even remotely close to their potential.

It seems to me that some people don’t understand the affect a weak goal going in has on the offensive production.

Let’s take a look at earlier this season when Canucks Lost to the Oilers 4-0. Canucks had 4 goals go in on 5 shots. What happened? Did our offence not show up? Is that why we lost? I mean our team got shut out. Do you not think that perhaps if our goalies stopped the first 5shots, the game would have ended up different? Do the early/week goals not change the way a team plays the rest of the game?

You can blame are offence all you want but are team isn’t designed to be a high scoring team, we were designed to play those tight games and come out ahead. We don’t have the players that can open up the offence and go like say the Oilers, Pittsburgh or Washington. When our team is down 3-4 goals its game over for us. It would have been have been nice for Daniel to be scoring a hat trick every game but that not the player he is, that’s not our system. Or system was to win the way we did in games 1,2, & 5. Other than game 5 it wasn’t like we got terrible out played. Both goalies were hot, scoring wasn’t coming easy for either teams.

You can’t honestly say that Luongo played good in any of the 4 games we lost, he didn’t he played terrible. It’s not even the fact that Boston outscored our team 20 to whatever, we could have lost 8-7 in games and it wouldn’t have matter, it was the mental lapsed from our supposed to be team MVP that crippled our team. Multiple goals coming within minutes of each other, we needed the big save and it didn’t happen.

But just in case everyone forgot what happen in the finals I thought I’d give a quick recap

Game 1

Canucks win, Luongo and Thomas both stand on their head. Both goalies kept their team in the game and Vancouver happened to get the lucky bounce to win it.

Game 2

A lot like the first game both goalies again played great, needs to go to OT and Canucks get the break. Game could have gone to both teams.

Game 3

Everything looks good but in the second everything falls apart. Biggest momentum killer is when the Rat scores a shorthanded goal to put the bruins up 3-0. Would have been nice for are MVP to come up with a big save at that point. Canucks outshot Bruins 41 to 38 only difference was our $10 million guy didn’t come up with the big saves while their $6 million did. Didn’t look good that Luongo just finished mocking Thomas after the OT goal in the previous game. Now who looks like the dummy?

Oh well Canucks are up 2-1 in the series we can move on.

Game 4

Canucks come out with all the pressure; bruins get a lucky bounce and go up 1-0 in the first, whatever Canucks still keep applying the pressure it’s only a matter of time before the get one past Thomas. Half way through the second the Bruins score. And then less than two minutes they score again. Another huge momentum killer, the team could have really used a big save on one of those shots. Game over.

Game 5

The one game Luongo completely stole for us. Boston out chanced us, outshot us and somehow we still win.

Game 6

After a MVP performance by both goalies, Luongo came victorious over Thomas, he looks to be back on his game, But wait…Bruins score 4 goalies in a span of 4 minutes and 14 seconds, less than 10 mins into the game. Game was over. But I guess again this was the offences fault.

Game 7

Everyone was wondering at the start of the game what kind of goaltending Canucks would receive, the MVP man who is earning his pay check, or the guy who could barely crack an AHL roster. Boston scores with 5 minutes left in the 1st and silences the crowd, that’s ok Canucks are applying all the pressure out chancing and again it looks like it’s only a matter of time before the get one by Thomas. Once again in the second bruins get a lucky bounce and the rat scores. That’s ok were still in it and we got a power play coming up, we just need Luongo to shut the door the rest of the game. Wait what happened bruins score shorthanded. GAME, SET, and MATCH Canucks lose.

The fact of the matter is teams change their style of play depending on when they are winning or losing. When a team is up a couple of goals they can play the trap and shut down any offence. Exactly what the bruins did. How many times did Roy go up to his team and say “all you need in 1, because I’m not letting in more than that” Roy was an Elite goalie that came up big in big situations.

What makes a guy earn 10 million compared to 6 million to heck even 1 million as a goalie? The 1 million guys is a good goalie, he’s in the NHL he knows how to play. The difference in price is being able to come up with the big save at the key moments. You let in a soft goal, whatever move on, come up with the next big save. Something Luongo didn’t do in the Stanley cup final. He got rattled to easy and 1 goal turned into 2 or 3 within minutes. Teams can’t comeback from that, it just doesn’t happen.

Luongo is a good goalie, but when it comes to his play in the Stanley cup finals, it didn’t help the team in fact is can be easily shown that his play was the biggest factor in the Canucks losing.

Forsberg u said "it would have been nice for our MVP to come up with a save "

There are two actual MVP s on our team in the sedin twins that just got shut down all series.

I'm sorry but ill never agree with u on the scf. Lui was the reason we didn't get swept and humiliated or lost in five games

... that's what seems to divide lui fans and people that don't like him. Some think he cost us the scf, some know that he kept us in it.

Honestly, I'd rather Luongo play the first couple of playoff games for us. He deserves to get that after his classy attitude through a difficult season.

For those who think Lu would be a downgrade (and I don't necessarily agree), then keep in mind that even with good goaltending as opposed to stellar goaltending, we should never be bounced from the first round if the rest of the team plays even remotely close to their potential.

Archived