The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Critically ill woman could face jail time if she has a life saving abortion

Stefan

http://www.salon.com/2013/04/18/critically_ill_woman_faces_jail_time_if_she_goes_forward_with_life_saving_abortion/

According to a report from Amnesty International, a seriously ill and pregnant El Salvadorian woman may face jail time if she goes forward with a lifesaving and medically recommended abortion. Abortion is illegal under all circumstances in El Salvador.

The 22-year-old mother of one, identified only as Beatriz, is four-and-a-half months pregnant, but her doctors have confirmed that the fetus has anencephaly (developing without a brain and certain parts of the skull) and that the pregnancy is nonviable. In addition to the fetal diagnosis, Beatriz is experiencing critical health complications related to her lupus and kidney disease.

The hospital treating Beatriz requested legal permission to perform the abortion more than a month ago, but authorities have still not agreed to let them proceed. Now, if government policy and religious ideology interfering with a woman’s right to access abortion care or a doctor’s ability to exercise medical judgment and save a woman’s life sounds familiar, it should.

As reported by Amnesty:

Doctor say Beatriz could die if she continues with the pregnancy, but have not yet treated her because they fear that if they end the pregnancy they might be prosecuted under the country’s total ban on abortion…

The country’s Penal Code states that anyone seeking or carrying out an abortion could be given a long prison sentence. This means both doctors and Beatriz would be at risk of imprisonment if a termination is carried out.

“Beatriz’s situation is desperate and must not wait any longer. Her very chances of survival depend on a decision from the authorities,†Esther Major, Amnesty International’s researcher on Central America, said in a statement.

Beatriz has taken her request for medical services to El Salvador’s Supreme Court, where it is currently being considered.

“We hope that the Supreme Court treats this case with the urgency it merits, given that Beatriz’s life and health are at risk. She is suffering cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment in being denied the medical intervention she so urgently needs,†Major said.

Stupid people...

Looks like they had exceptions from 1973-1998...but then:

In 1997, the Nationalist Republican Alliance (ARENA) submitted a draft bill, designed to amend the Penal Code to withdraw all grounds under which abortion was then permitted. On April 25, 1997, the Legislative Assembly voted 61 out of 84 to approve this modification to the Code.[2]

On April 20, 1998 the new Penal Code was enacted, removing the exceptions that had been instituted in 1973, including the provision for the pregnant woman's life. Under this Code, a person who performs an abortion with the woman's consent, or a woman who self-induces or consents to someone else inducing her abortion, can be imprisoned for two to eight years. A person who performs an abortion to which the woman has not consented can be sentenced to four to ten years in jail; if the person is a physician, pharmacist, or other health care worker, he or she is instead subject to between six to 12 years.[1]

El Salvador also amended its Constitution in January 1999 to recognize human life from the moment of conception.[2]

Lol. Weakest prayer ever.

4-1/2 months pregant is too late for an outright abortion, imo. What they should do is remove the baby premature to save the mother and then pray that it survives using all postnatal sciences available in El Salvador.

This is a 5-month old fetus:

Month%205.jpg

Not sure if the little person will make it, but there is one who survived after just a 21 week, 5 day term. 'Medical miracles' do happen, folks.

Lol. Weakest prayer ever.

4-1/2 months pregant is too late for an outright abortion, imo. What they should do is remove the baby premature to save the mother and then pray that it survives using all postnatal sciences available in El Salvador.

This is a 5-month old fetus:

Month%205.jpg

Not sure if the little person will make it, but there is one who survived after just a 21 week, 5 day term. 'Medical miracles' do happen, folks.

god needs to start taking care of the amputees...healing those people who are already alive before he sticks his nose into this situation...considering the world is grossly overpopulated right now...and what's going to happen in a third world nation like El Salvador to this kid? He'll probably become another statistic...another mouth going hungry...we need to feed the people we already HAVE before bringing more into the world, in my opinion.

god needs to start taking care of the amputees...healing those people who are already alive before he sticks his nose into this situation...considering the world is grossly overpopulated right now...and what's going to happen in a third world nation like El Salvador to this kid? He'll probably become another statistic...another mouth going hungry...we need to feed the people we already HAVE before bringing more into the world, in my opinion.

"I'm a human being, goddammit! My life has value!" No seriously...I speak as a concerned citizen of the world..as a human being who doesn't like to see innocent people suffer simply because of their environment, their lack of health care and food and stuff like that...it makes me sad. More hungry mouths cannot possibly make the situation any better.

I've been a fan of the Canucks since I was 6 years old...what the hell are you talking about? If I didn't support the Canucks...I wouldn't be here, would I? Sorry is there an unwritten law that says "no American Canucks fans"? No, there isn't...so shut your piehole. Don't know who the hell you think you are telling me what to do...but you can shove that, buddy...I'm here and I'm not going anyplace for a while so you may as well just get used to it.

What's a medical miracle? When a doctor works his ass off all his life to save someone with the help of modern science?

To me, a miracle ( or medical miracle ) would be if a person missing an arm grows one back over night. Or someone paralysed, can suddenly walk again without any work whatsoever.

I don't think it's fair when someone busts their ass for years to get results, and everyone claims its a miracle.

So until someone grows some limbs I'm confused as to what a medical miracle is.

I've been a fan of the Canucks since I was 6 years old...what the hell are you talking about? If I didn't support the Canucks...I wouldn't be here, would I? Sorry is there an unwritten law that says "no American Canucks fans"? No, there isn't...so shut your piehole. Don't know who the hell you think you are telling me what to do...but you can shove that, buddy...I'm here and I'm not going anyplace for a while so you may as well just get used to it.

Addendum: This is the mouse and keyboard I am typing to you now on...and the flag I ordered from the Team Store three years ago..and a pic of me in my 3rd Luongo jersey...which I wear proudly around my town and at music festivals, etc. I take great offense at your insinuation that I have no business here.

FWIW...I had to have this jersey dry cleaned after the last game I attended in Raleigh when some rowdy Canes fans threw beer on me. The last game I saw was a few years ago...I wore the Lu jersey to the game...and Raycroft got the start. That really sucked.

8679636636_03bfa73046_n.jpg8679638974_3f945fc4ef_n.jpg

8678526517_d786bbb290_n.jpg8678525477_a48a4bac14_n.jpg

Archived