The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WHL has sights on Nanaimo

Sounds like the WHL is seriously interested in getting another team on the Island and are looking at Nanaimo as the obvious choice.  Problems are:

1) Nanaimo currently doesn't have a large enough stadium to support a WHL team and after taking alot of political heat for spending $ to build a conference centre Council may not want to chip in on a Stadium.

2) The WHL has said they don't want to expand so this would need to be a relocation

3) The local BCHL team, the Nanaimo Clippers, will likely fight this unless they can get a stake in the new team.  Given that Kelly Hrudey is part owner of the Clippers they certainitly have the money and influence to wrangle a WHL team.

Nanaimo locals would you support a WHL team if it came to Nanaimo?  It would be great to see a Royals vs. Nanaimo game right here at home.Edit- link to articlehttp://www2.canada.c...db-04705a06e589

Well, a little bird told me just the other day that the Comox Valley has a few people interested in forming a society (like Port Alberni did) so they would be eligible for sport grants to build a new arena with the hopes of relocating the Clippers to Comox.

I heard nothing about a WHL team replacing the Clippers in Nanaimo but maybe that's why the talks have started in the first place. Makes sense I guess.

I'd support it. The conference center thing is a problem though (massive waste of money) and the Franke Crane Arena is much too small/outdated to have a WHL team.

I don't think they'd have to worry about killing the Clippers, it's like 90% elderly people at Clips games who've been going for years, they won't change their ways.

Archived