Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Langdon Algur

WHL has sights on Nanaimo

7 posts in this topic

Sounds like the WHL is seriously interested in getting another team on the Island and are looking at Nanaimo as the obvious choice.  Problems are:

1) Nanaimo currently doesn't have a large enough stadium to support a WHL team and after taking alot of political heat for spending $ to build a conference centre Council may not want to chip in on a Stadium.

2) The WHL has said they don't want to expand so this would need to be a relocation

3) The local BCHL team, the Nanaimo Clippers, will likely fight this unless they can get a stake in the new team.  Given that Kelly Hrudey is part owner of the Clippers they certainitly have the money and influence to wrangle a WHL team.

Nanaimo locals would you support a WHL team if it came to Nanaimo?  It would be great to see a Royals vs. Nanaimo game right here at home.Edit- link to articlehttp://www2.canada.c...db-04705a06e589

Dont know what to say other than i think relocating a team from east to west would be a good idea.

When i look at the conferences i always feel like the west is cheating or something. haha.

Well, a little bird told me just the other day that the Comox Valley has a few people interested in forming a society (like Port Alberni did) so they would be eligible for sport grants to build a new arena with the hopes of relocating the Clippers to Comox.

I heard nothing about a WHL team replacing the Clippers in Nanaimo but maybe that's why the talks have started in the first place. Makes sense I guess.

I'd support it. The conference center thing is a problem though (massive waste of money) and the Franke Crane Arena is much too small/outdated to have a WHL team.

I don't think they'd have to worry about killing the Clippers, it's like 90% elderly people at Clips games who've been going for years, they won't change their ways.

After 2 seasons, the Royals are already pretty well loved in Victoria. Nanaimo seems like a perfectly sized city for a dub team. I'd like to see a team there, the rivalry would be awesome.