The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Use Garrison's bomb as a tool to inflict injury upon playoff opponents!

ThatPope

We've all seen what his shot can do. Anyone who gets in the way is going to be feeling it for a while. I say, in the first game or two of each series anyway, let him load up and blast shots and in the process hopefully injure some of the opposing team.

We've all seen what his shot can do. Anyone who gets in the way is going to be feeling it for a while. I say, in the first game or two of each series anyway, let him load up and blast shots and in the process hopefully injure some of the opposing team.

You don't want to purposely try to hurt them but you want him to load up as often and as early as possible and just get hard shots right down the lane. This will force defenders to come up to Garrison so they can stop him from blasting it or give pause for concern that a block could result in a turnover breakaway. This is turn opens up the ice and gives us more room. If the defenders don't want to take that away then let er fly, and they had better be damn tough or they won't be playing for that long. This is a great playoff weapon if used properly.

In the post season simple things like this are very effective as the focus becomes very clear and everyone starts to worry about it.

All joking aside Jason Garrison better be getting to showcase his slapped on the first line powerplay. If we are the type of team that likes to put all our eggs in one basket for the PP he should definitely make the cut.

In all seriousness, injuries happen when a team plays hard, hits hard and shoots hard. JG bombing away could produce that side effect, do it 'on purpose', no. Shooting with the purpose of shooting hard and agressively, absolutely.

The other effects, opposing players aren't as likely to want to get in front of it clearing shooting lanes. High forwards will want to get to him quicker so he can't load up, opens up space down low.

Hell, if the Nucks play the Hawks and a JG bomb hits Toews in the knee on the PK and slows him down or puts him out of a game, great. This is isn't tiddly winks. But again, big difference from purposely shooting at players though.

He seems like a the kind of guy who would never intend to injure anyone intentionally. I feel like even if he was instructed to (which he likely won't be), he wouldn't.

That said, his shot has been a huge boost to our offense and we've had a lot of success in games where he's had a lot of shots. In the playoffs there will be teams who will try to block shots but his is one they will begin to hesitate on, one would imagine. I just hope he keeps loading up and the boys keep dishing it to him.

Archived