The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Use Garrison's bomb as a tool to inflict injury upon playoff opponents!

ThatPope

you do realize that the shot garrison takes has no control he just lets them rip? what if he hurts a top 6 player like sedin? its possible

you think garrison is shooting the puck to injure players?

haha wow and mods lock my threads yet this genious thread is aloud to say lol

hey, you gotta do what it takes to win. If it means taking big Joe's knee out with a Garrison slapper then so be it. I'm starting to see a trend that the dirty teams go far in the playoffs. I wanna see a dirty Canucks team that won't be pushed around this year. If it means purposely shooting at players' legs or hacking and slashing players when the refs turn their backs (that's Dave Bolland's game plan every night) then do it. I want to see a team that will do anything to win.

Hate to say it but that's how you win the Cup in today's NHL - out-survive the other team. If that means they have to block more shots than us so be it.

Garrison isn't going to shoot to aim at forwards legs or anything on purpose, but he's going to injure players regardless, and this could go either way. This is why I think Newell Brown doesn't want to put him on the 1st man PP unit, in case he shatters a Sedin's ankle.

Let's indulge and say in this mythical universe Garrison has enough control of his shot to hit anything he wanted with pinpoint accuracy (and wwithout injurying our star players). Wouldn't you rather him aim straight for the net then?

That being said, if the defensemen dive down to block his shot, that's part of the game :bigblush:

Seriously though, not cool to intentionally injure

This reminds me of something my Dad might say, lol. Often when I go to my folks place to watch a game he'll suggest that one of our players should shoot the puck hard into the goalie's head to "throw him off his game". I always tell him that if one of our guys can shoot with such accuracy, why not just pick a spot and score?

Anyways, I agree that Garrison should unload as much as possible and if he happens to cause injury to the opposition then so be it. To purposely fire at opposing players isn't cool though, IMO.

I agree with the idea of taking LOTS of slap shots from the point on the Power Plays, especially in games 1 and 2, when they usually hand out a fair amount of power plays to keep players in line. It's a long series, and we've got some guys who can launch bombs from the points.

We lost Kesler for a good chunk of the season because of a blocked shot, it happens to all teams. If it gets by, good - a scoring chance or rebound. If an opposition player blocks it, good, they'll be thinking twice about doing it again.

Edler needs to get some shooting confidence and use his bomb too - he's been way too hesitant.

Really poor choice of wording by the OP but I think a few posters need to come down off their high horses as well. "Intent to injure" is such a gray area in this game, especially in the playoffs.

Consider hitting. A common phrase that gets thrown around is "he hits to hurt" and this is used to praise guys who deliver good, solid, clean, legal body checks that devastate opponents. What's the difference between "hurt" and "injure"? (Rhetorical question--please don't try to answer because I'm all too familiar with the distinctions we use and the lines we draw). There are just too many Pollyannas out there who will praise players who routinely and habitually "hurt" other players but will also harshly condemn those villains who "injure" their opponents.

"Softening up" your opponent means causing injuries that don't necessarily take players out of the game but certainly impact their ability to play at 100%. This is considered good, old-fashioned, playoff style hockey. But people are fooling themselves if they can't see that "hitting to hurt" is also intent to injure. It's just intent to injure "a little bit." Or to just injure "up to a certain point." Or to injure while staying within the rules (oops, I gave you a concussion but I was just playing a clean, hard-hitting game so I wasn't really trying to knock you out of the playoffs... we cool?).

Pretty much everyone--from the players to the coaches to the GMs to the owners to the commentators to the pundits, and finally, to the fans--appear to be participating in a mass delusion where they want to believe that guys who play hard, physical, and "clean" hockey aren't actually trying to "injure" their opponents when they try to "hurt" them. It's the same thing with another popular hockey cliche: "play to the line and not over it" which, if we are being honest, really means "try not to be obvious about attempting to injure other guys on the ice."

I'll probably get flamed for saying this stuff because there are unwritten rules about admitting most of these things in an open discussion of the game. It's kind of like how magicians have a code about not revealing how their tricks work. Too many people in hockey seem intent on maintaining the illusion that the physical side of the game isn't used as a tool to whittle down opposing rosters (which can only happen if players get injured).

So, should Garrison try to hurt opponents with his shot? No, of course not!!! That's intent to injure and I'm disgusted by it!!! But his shot is a valuable weapon in the Canucks' arsenal so he should use it early and often and force the opposition to respect and fear that cannon. And hey... if someone gets hurt and that gives the Canucks an advantage, well... that's just part of the game. As long as he wasn't actually trying to hurt anyone, right? Wink-wink, nudge-nudge, and the "good ol' hockey game" rolls on.

I like this idea. Think about it.. He's currently aiming AT the net. He misses it entirely more often than not.

If he's aiming at a different target, in the same general direction as the net - he may actually end up scoring more.

I say give it a shot. Pun intended.

Archived