The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is this year the last chance for the cup with the current core, if so is the 202015 draft the kickoff day of the rebuild

Southpop45

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

hey guys i know i maybe getting a little ahead of myself here but id like to know if you guys think that this is truly our last shot at the cup with this current core of players.

i also know that based on what round the canucks finish their playoff run the situation will change. however if the canucks fail in ANY round to win the stanley cup this year i would like to know what you think should be done with the team heading forward both long term and short term.

The central core are Hank and Dan.

Better find a pair of superstars when these guys enter the autumn of their career,which is coming very soon.

Gillis/Gilman have run the team as a perennial performer but that has been with the twins as the anchor.

I guess that is why Gillis and Co. are hellbent on achieving the maximum for Luo.

I don't think the team is built right to win this year (hope I'm wrong) but I don't think the window us closed. I think we need a better second line and a great checking third (matchup line) and we have a great shot. I think to win with the team we have we need Ryan Alex and Hanson as our third, players like lappy and kass on the 4th and a sniper to play with Roy on the second. A few holes to fill but nothing that can't be done. I know I know people are going to say things like why would we Ryan on the third etc.... Because if we did and could we would have a shot at it.

For the first poll, i voted 'no'. Weve won the division several years in a row, and our core is not THAT old, and should be good for a couple more years. Plus Schneider will be good for many more years.

As for the second poll, i dont like any of the options. I voted the first option, for my above reasons. But you said 'go for the cup again and again, year after year'. I disagree with that, There will be a time to rebuild, especially with so few prospects in our system, and that may be a couple years from now. So no i dont think we should keep going for the cup on a long term basis. Well have to see how the team does the next couple of years. If the Sedins are no longer producing at a high level, and Kesler, Burrows, Schenider, Edler, and Bieksa cant carry the team to success anymore, it would make sense to rebuild. But NOT going into next season, even if we get eliminated in the first round.

Big trades are not the answer either. The Luongo trade must be done, but im not expecting a lot in return with the goalie market the way it is. Other trades are unlikely to suddenly make us a contender, unless Gillis completely fools other GMs with something. The way to success these days is to build from within.

Personally, I think that we still have many years remaining with the current core, but in those years we'll have to change our playing style. I think that the Sedins won't be as dominant as they were before and decline to 70-80 point players (as opposed to 90-100 points). Kesler will remain a solid 60 point producer, and hopefully guys like Kassian, Jensen, and Gaunce will step into a secondary (or even primary) scoring role. Our overall/net talent level will decline, and when this happens we'll have to rely on our team defence and goaltending to get us to the cup (much like how we relied on our defence and Luongo before the Sedins broke into "elite" status).

The core can still do it, just in a different playing style. Tough, grind out defensive hockey as opposed to high flying and puck possession hockey.

A good, well-run organization shouldn't have to rebuild by sucking for years, or have any sort of "window." There's so much that's just chance in the playoffs and with injuries and such, what you want to do is to have a team that can make the playoffs and be a threat, be in contention, have that every year and sometimes things will bounce your way. Especially with the market like it is in Vancouver, and Canadian teams generally, you want to be in it regularly more than you want to do the rebuild cycle.

No, and there are several reasons I say this:

1. The Sedins, even if they are not point per game players every season are still among the elite.. and there are TWO of them, a lot of teams wish they had 2 reasonably priced elite players that feed off each other like the twins do.

2. Kesler and Burrows. Two players that are integral parts of the team that play on both the PP and PK with fantastic consistency, and they give you a 100% effort every game.

3. Bieksa, Hamhuis, Garrison, Edler. Not every team in the league can say that all top 4D on their team is enviable and would garner a huge return if traded. Mix these guys in with two budding RHD that are just starting to make an impact on the roster and it is safe to say our D core is set for at least the next 3 years, I relish the idea of Hamhuis and Bieksa signing at discounts to play as our bottom pairing after their current contracts.

4. Goaltending: Regardless of which goalie stays (schnieder) our goaltending is set for the future, and Lack appears very promising as well. No longer the goalie graveyard of the past, this is not an area of worry for the future.

5. Buyouts: While this is an advantage of every team in the league, our buyouts, if used allows us to free up space to add pieces to an already solid core.

6. desirability: An advantage that a team like Detroit always had is that its winning atmosphere attracted free agents, Vancouver being a beautiful city with a competent management team, ****load of money means we don't have to build through the draft. Players that are coming off of RFA contracts for teams that suck and have no money will be entering their prime and looking to move to a team like vancouver. This is a very ideal situation.

So no, with this core we still have until Kes, Bieksa, and Hamhuis' contracts expire in 3 years barring the Sedins re-sign, which they have already stated they are willing to do.

Archived