The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is this year the last chance for the cup with the current core, if so is the 202015 draft the kickoff day of the rebuild

Southpop45

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The only thing this team really needs is chemistry on the second line. We need to purge the question marks (raymond, booth) and come up with a bonifide second line winger who can play with kesler, preferably a big body.

Also if Roy isnt going to stay around as a third line center then we need to fill that hole. Roy is probably too good to be a third line center and kesler is to good to get bumped.

Its possible we can stay at the top and maybe even improve but a few things have to happen. First off, Luongo HAS to go. It's not optional. We can't afford that kind of cap hit sitting on the bench every game. Ballard and Booth both fall into the same category. Either they have to start producing or Gillis has to find a way to unload them. Its a really heavy task to find a trading partner for players that might have negative trade value but in those 3 players we have, what, $13 mil in cap space tied up? And if you think about it, all we really have to show for that $13 mil is a number 6 defenseman. Booth and Luongo are constantly injured/ constantly watching the game from the comfort of the bench. $13 mil for a #6 d-man isn't going to win you any cups.

Yea, we can still be playoff contenders, just not Cup contenders. We will be in same division as LA,SJ,PHX,ANA,EDM,CGY, alot of toughness and grit in these divisions so don't expect easy wins or easy playoff tickets just because our division is hard.

The central core are Hank and Dan.

Better find a pair of superstars when these guys enter the autumn of their career,which is coming very soon.

Gillis/Gilman have run the team as a perennial performer but that has been with the twins as the anchor.

I guess that is why Gillis and Co. are hellbent on achieving the maximum for Luo.

I really don't understand people's view and why they believe the team should have a rebuild. The Sedin's don't show any signs of slowing down anytime soon. They are still going to be the leaders of the team for another 3-5 years, and are always consistent enough to produce points, even if it's in the 40 point range. Hopefully, we can draft stronger in the coming years and properly develop some of the current prospects we have.

But that doesn't mean trade Kesler, Hansen, Burrows, Higgens, LaPierre or Raymond. Heck, even Derek Roy. Currently, our team has a strong pool of forwards, and messing it up by trading them away for draft picks that could be busts isn't safe. Prospects don't always pan out and you need to keep the strong pool of players you already have. I'm not saying not make a trade, but trading the CORE of our team that has shown almost zero indication of slowing is thinking a little bit too hasty. We still have trade value in the trade market in Ballard and Booth. They're players that are expendable and could help move the team towards a more positive direction.

The only problem in the team is that we do not have a very strong prospect pool of defensemen. Signing Garrison has really helped the team, however, the lacking of a right-handed defenseman, and a real veteran presence overall, we are lacking a bite from the backend. A gritty veteran defender could really help the morale of the team especially without the presence of Manny Malholtra. Sign a preferably right-handed defenseman, try to move the expendables for draft picks, continue developing, PROPERLY bringing them up and our situation is not that bad. The Sedins have to be taken over someday, and hopefully, they'll be someone good. Tanking a season and moving away players that should be kept is not worth risking on ONE "highly touted" prospect.

Yeah I really think the idea of needing to rebuild is overblown.

Teams that have to go the firesale rebuild route have generally done a really bad job of drafting developing player.

The flames had Iginla for 15 years & never managed to add any impact players to the lineup.

The Canucks while getting criticized for having a shallow prospect pool all the time, still have a promising group of young players.

Kassian, Schroeder, Jensen, Gaunce, Tanev, Corrado & Lack all look to be NHL players & on a timeline to take on bigger roles as our current core ages.

Hopefully a firesale & a full scale rebuild just won't be needed.

I can't see our chances at a cup being any better next season than they are this season, in fact their probably far worse. I don't forsee massive changes next year, likely a coaching change barring a deep run this year and the end to the Luongo saga, Ballard and Booth being bought out/waivers, Raymond being shopped for a late pick at the draft.

I think the following year when the Sedins are UFA is one to watch. We wouldn't be in cap hell and we'd gain some cap space by re-signing them to lower deals... That's when i expect the team to dip into FA/ make some trades and make a run for a cup again.

I can't see our chances at a cup being any better next season than they are this season, in fact their probably far worse. I don't forsee massive changes next year, likely a coaching change barring a deep run this year and the end to the Luongo saga, Ballard and Booth being bought out/waivers, Raymond being shopped for a late pick at the draft.

I think the following year when the Sedins are UFA is one to watch. We wouldn't be in cap hell and we'd gain some cap space by re-signing them to lower deals... That's when i expect the team to dip into FA/ make some trades and make a run for a cup again.

Archived