78 replies to this topic

#61 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

Every team has guys like Burrows on it and do not get called nearly as much. If every thing that Burr did was called the same for every player, UI would agree. The sad matter is that it's not. Teams are obstructing us back to the dead puck era hooking, holding and sitting on stars every shift yet somehow Alex is the leagues bad guy.

Yeah, I don't get this. Burrows is public enemy number 1 when the only thing that used to make people hate him was that he chirped opponents on the ice...which he doesn't even do to the same extent anymore. He always kept it on-ice and was very clean in any public comments, he always played a clean game and stayed away from the dirty hitting style that we've seen so many guys develop around the league. He's such a heart and soul player too. Why does he get so much hate when there's guys like Tootoo, Ott, Marchand, Bolland, Carcillo and Eager running around. Burrows actually seems like a really good guy in the dressing room and in the community but only canucks fans seem to be able to see it.

#62 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

Burrows never got the benefit of the doubt, even before the Auger thing he was not a popular guy with the officials, now that he's on the first line he still bears the reputation the fourth-line mucker he was and gets called like he's still playing that game even if he's not that player anymore. I always said, Burrows' rep as a diver comes from the fact he was not a good skater when he first came up, sure he was fast but he couldn't turn and his balance was terrible, he fell a lot. Now he has this reputation and he can't shake it, refs are still bitter about how he's called them out and stood up to them, they don't like that sort of thing.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#63 Fred65

Fred65

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

On another forum a poster revealed he attended High School in Richmond with Kelly Sutherland and said he often made it clear he hated the Canucks. Apprently Kelly hasn't grown up since then

#64 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

Well I was with you until you threw the book at me but for what it's worth you're probably right as your stats are usually solid. I guess if we get mad, scream, and shout, it will eventually go away.

As an athelete I just feel this is something many players have to deal with, not just Burrows. Refereeing is really hard. Ask any team after the game and there are many, many, missed calls on each side. To me this reminds me of when I was young and complained about everything under the sun except what was in my power to change.

For what it's worth you have convinced me that he may be getting unfairly treated I just don't see what whining about it accomplishes. This is sports.

You're right. Reffing is hard and they often get too little credit despite being right so often. I couldn't agree more. But, there also has to be a professional standard and a means (coupled with a willingness) to enforce it but that seems to be lacking in the NHL. Bad calls will happen, refs are only human. But, bad calls should be the exception, not the rule. And those mistakes should be relatively even among players or else they are not really mistakes at all. A sport is only a sport when everyone plays by the same rules. Rules are only rules if they are, as much as humanly possible, applied to everyone equally. Otherwise, they are mere suggestions. And how is that any different than cheating?

Beyond that, I have never argued that Burrows complaining about it will help anything. I just don't think that it is fair that Burrows is being called a dirty player, and seemingly being treated as one by the refs, without actual cause just because people (and refs) unfairly think he is somehow so much worse than other players. And I think the unfair reffing in the NHL, which is by no limited to Burrows or the Canucks, is a serious blackeye on the league that needs to be addressed in a real and visible way. Otherwise, not only will the league continue to stink of bias, but the NHL runs the risk of cultivating an atmosphere in which one ref could use his unquestionable "discretion" to fix games.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#65 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

On another forum a poster revealed he attended High School in Richmond with Kelly Sutherland and said he often made it clear he hated the Canucks. Apprently Kelly hasn't grown up since then

Really? Another forum poster revealed that? Then it must be true.
Posted Image

#66 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,462 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

You're right. Reffing is hard and they often get too little credit despite being right so often. I couldn't agree more. But, there also has to be a professional standard and a means (coupled with a willingness) to enforce it but that seems to be lacking in the NHL. Bad calls will happen, refs are only human. But, bad calls should be the exception, not the rule. And those mistakes should be relatively even among players or else they are not really mistakes at all. A sport is only a sport when everyone plays by the same rules. Rules are only rules if they are, as much as humanly possible, applied to everyone equally. Otherwise, they are mere suggestions. And how is that any different than cheating?

Beyond that, I have never argued that Burrows complaining about it will help anything. I just don't think that it is fair that Burrows is being called a dirty player, and seemingly being treated as one by the refs, without actual cause just because people (and refs) unfairly think he is somehow so much worse than other players. And I think the unfair reffing in the NHL, which is by no limited to Burrows or the Canucks, is a serious blackeye on the league that needs to be addressed in a real and visible way. Otherwise, not only will the league continue to stink of bias, but the NHL runs the risk of cultivating an atmosphere in which one ref could use his unquestionable "discretion" to fix games.

Kudos, nicely said.

I agree with your sentiment, however I do wonder what can really be done. They're tried to enfore the rules but pretty soon it becomes lame/too many penalties, and the refs bring subjectivity into it. I've seen this cycle time and time again.

About Burrows, the only thing I could say is he could eliminate some penalties, but so could just about everyone.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#67 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

Kudos, nicely said.

I agree with your sentiment, however I do wonder what can really be done. They're tried to enfore the rules but pretty soon it becomes lame/too many penalties, and the refs bring subjectivity into it. I've seen this cycle time and time again.

About Burrows, the only thing I could say is he could eliminate some penalties, but so could just about everyone.

You're right about them calling everything all the time being too much, just as I'm right about the rules needing to be evenly applied. There has to be some way to accomplish a good distribution that's also fair. Maybe that's defining the rules more specifically and taking out some of the subjectivity. Maybe that's reducing the number of penalties in the rulebook. Maybe that's just having some sort of post game M&M for refs (like they have for doctors) to peer review their calls and see where they may have gone wrong and how they can get better. Maybe that's by allowing limited coaches' challenges. I don't know, but I do know something needs to be done. It's just too bad the NHL doesn't see that.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#68 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,648 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

The problem is that, despite the pious claims here to the contrary, Burrows still dives and (especially) embellishes almost every hit he takes. Watch any Canuck game and count how many times in it he falls to the ice; it often counts in the dozens. Sometimes these are legitimate but an awful lot of the time it's pure "woody" behaviour (feel wood, fall down). Since Burrows' diving directly led to a (not very good) ref's dismissal it stands to reason that if a ref sees what he perceives to be a dive or an embellishment in a game he is going to be reluctant to call a penalty on that individual ESPECIALLY when they remember what happened to Auger when HE fell for a Burrows dive. He hasn't cleaned up his act at all and he still chirps like a bird at the refs constantly as well as trash talks the opposition in the most classless possible way. He will get no sympathy with the refs with his track record.

As for Gillis' "calling out the refs" during the Chicago series I feel it would have had a lot more validity if he would have done his whining after a Canuck win instead of waiting for the team to lose three straight playoff games in ignominious fashion to bring it up. Never mind that when a GM calls a press conference to complain about "not having a level playing field" when it is clearly a strategy of his team to sell calls hard in order to bring their dominant power play into action nobody in a position of authority takes him at all seriously. Gamesmanship at best, pathetic whining at worst and poorly advised since it apparently cost the team big $$$. This team has built a rep that it will not soon lose as long as it has the likes of Burrows, Kesler, Lapierre and, yes, even Hank (who sells it hard almost every night, much as I love him). Lose the rats and play with some honour, I say.

Absolutely not, this is so untrue. And usually when he hits the ice it's because he's been crosschecked in the back.

Quit trolling, seriously. "Lose the rats"? "Play with honour"?

I'm onto you, so knock it off....

Posted Image

#69 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:14 AM

The ghost of Auger... I see it too, man. He gets called for really minor things, and then people get away with some pretty bad stuff on him on the other end of thing. Totally unfair. Wish there was something Gillis could do (fine or no fine)

#70 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,189 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:33 AM

Most of his penalties have come whilst we've been on the powerplay already, and while they've often been legitimate slashes or interference calls in front of the net, these penalties NEVER get called when a team is already on the powerplay.
Posted Image

#71 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:41 AM

Absolutely not, this is so untrue. And usually when he hits the ice it's because he's been crosschecked in the back.

Quit trolling, seriously. "Lose the rats"? "Play with honour"?

I'm onto you, so knock it off....

I've made my position on Burrows perfectly clear; I feel he is one of our most important money players and that he does this team a disservice with his shenanegans which are obvious to anybody who watches the games impartially which is something you seem unable to do.

Edited by debluvscanucks, 29 April 2013 - 07:46 AM.
Removed personal attack

#72 Lundymaphone

Lundymaphone

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

The real, non conspiracy reason(s);

-Burrows is "feisty", these players simply by virtue of their play-style take a lot of penalties, it is impossible to be in complete control of your body, crap happens.

-He gets more ice time then most of his contemporaries in his field of expertise (see above). Therefore he has a greater chance to get a penalty.

-Getting beaten in front of the net generally does not involved penaliz(able) actions, and when it does, there is a well established leeway given to defensive personal in that position. This is not new or "hidden" it is apart of the game everyone is aware of.

-Burrows dives, he is not the worst culprit in the league by far, but he does do it more often then the median or average.

-Burrows has a mouth, while it is not fair for him to be penalized specifically for his attitude, it is not a Burrows specific trait, other players with such a problem also get picked on by refs.

-Burrows as 27 minor penalties, there are 17 other players with 20 or more. And now one player that has as many penalties as Burrows. This includes players on teams that are considered the favoured sons of many CDC conspiracy theorists. Most of the players on the list are prominant players you recognize, not fringe guys. If anyone is being picked on by the refs it is Hartnell with 25 penalties (2 fewer then Burrows) in 15 fewer games.

Edited by Lundymaphone, 28 April 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#73 UFTcan

UFTcan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

Lapierre speaks the same language :picard:

#74 131313

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

The problem isn't with Burrows it's with the overall refereeing in the NHL. NHL referees are six figure income professionals with absolutely no accountability. They can pretty much do whatever they want and nobody does anything about it. Everyone knew Auger was incapable of doing the job fairly but It took 13 years to get rid of him and even at that he "retired" and wasn't fired. Referees may very well be fixing games all around the league right now and the officiating is so inconsistent that we would never be able to tell. The other possibility is that the NHL knows exactly what is going on and has the refs "managing" the games according to what is best for the league.

#75 VanIsleNuckFan

VanIsleNuckFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

I was just in the Richmond arena for the Mainland Cup tournament last weekend and saw Kelly's picture and bio on the wall. That's all. Richmond should be proud of producing an NHL referee. Nothing to do with bad refs.

Why would you put Kelly Sutherland and Cliff Olsen together in the same sentence? Very strange. One is an NHL ref and the other a serial killer. So I'll ask you, what is your point?

I have much more respect for the garbage men of Richmond. They are there very week doing what they are asked. I think that deserves much more respect and if anything if they give a ref a plaque, why not the guy that cleans up the arena for the NHL from Richmond??

#76 canucksuberalles

canucksuberalles

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:01 AM

I'm getting tired of Burrows getting the raw end of the deal all the time.

His rant a couple years ago is still haunting him. It's really surprising that he leads the league in minor penalties. He's too good of a player to be leading this stat.

Usually minors are for hooking, holding or tripping because someone is too slow.
Burrows is far from being too slow. And he seems to take a beating in front of the net, and rarely draws a penalty.

Keep your head up Burrows, us Nucks fans can see the real truth.

FUNNIEST THREAD TITLE EVER!!

Tragedy + Time = Humour

<_< 

C:\Users\Ty\Pictures\shut.gif

#77 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,699 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:38 AM

I've made my position on Burrows perfectly clear; I feel he is one of our most important money players and that he does this team a disservice with his shenanegans which are obvious to anybody who watches the games impartially which is something you seem unable to do.

An impartial person would have the judgment to not get all emotional, pissy and say something as dumb as what you just did.

#78 CowtownCanuck

CowtownCanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

I find it's difficult to decide whether Burrow's comments or his playing style are the issue. The nature of player that Burrows is, an aggitator who won't drop the gloves, like Matt Cooke for example, won't get calls in his favour as a result. There are certain players that I would love to see a coach make a backhanded complaint against the refs refering to a players balance while a stick is between their legs or skating ability while carrying an additionanl player.

I agree the refs are terribly inconsistant, especially with our team.

#79 Ghost of Sacrilage

Ghost of Sacrilage

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

What I find curious about the people defending the refs picking on Burrows, is they expect Burrows to stop complaining, act professionally, not take it personally, and get on with the game, playing it within the rules...

Is this not what a ref is expected to do? In fact, more so? There are NO excuses, for letting players get away with dangerous cross checks etc on a player.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.