Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Dreamliner takes flight again - do you feel safe to be on a dreamliner?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 HTania

HTania

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

A Boeing 787 Dreamliner took off Sunday from a Tokyo airport, the first such flight in Japan since safety issues grounded the Dreamliner fleet. Japan had authorized passenger airlines to resume flying the embattled aircraft in the country starting Friday, authorities said.

It left Tokyo's Haneda Airport on Sunday morning with a team of All Nippon engineers, that airline's chairman, Shinichiro Ito, and Boeing Commercial Airplanes CEO Ray Conner. The plane landed about two hours later without incident, Boeing said.

"With the successful completion of today's flight, Boeing will continue to work closely with airline customers in Japan and other countries on ... modification work to safely return additional 787s to flight in the coming weeks," Boeing said in a statement.

The flight marked a milestone in Japan, but the plane wasn't the first Dreamliner to take flight since the problems first surfaced. Ethiopian Airlines flew passengers from Addis Ababa to Nairobi, Kenya, on Saturday.

I want to be on a dreamliner for my next trip if I can.

#2 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

A Boeing 787 Dreamliner took off Sunday from a Tokyo airport, the first such flight in Japan since safety issues grounded the Dreamliner fleet. Japan had authorized passenger airlines to resume flying the embattled aircraft in the country starting Friday, authorities said.

It left Tokyo's Haneda Airport on Sunday morning with a team of All Nippon engineers, that airline's chairman, Shinichiro Ito, and Boeing Commercial Airplanes CEO Ray Conner. The plane landed about two hours later without incident, Boeing said.

"With the successful completion of today's flight, Boeing will continue to work closely with airline customers in Japan and other countries on ... modification work to safely return additional 787s to flight in the coming weeks," Boeing said in a statement.

The flight marked a milestone in Japan, but the plane wasn't the first Dreamliner to take flight since the problems first surfaced. Ethiopian Airlines flew passengers from Addis Ababa to Nairobi, Kenya, on Saturday.

I want to be on a dreamliner for my next trip if I can.

I'd rather be on this behemoth

Posted Image

Like a cruise ship in the sky

Posted Image

#3 trek

trek

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,135 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

I would be happy to fly on a 787 or A380...

#4 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,649 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

I like trains.

Posted Image

#5 Not A Fruit

Not A Fruit

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

Posted Image

woo my dad flies that plane!
Posted Image
Special Thanks to Twilight Sparkle ^

#6 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

I like trains.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 VintageForever420

VintageForever420

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

woo my dad flies that plane!

In that case he has worked with the copany for over 30 years?

#8 Not A Fruit

Not A Fruit

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

In that case he has worked with the copany for over 30 years?

No, he has been a pilot for over 30 years, working for AirCanada and Emirates. He has been at Emirates for over 15 years, which is enough seniority to fly the A380.
Posted Image
Special Thanks to Twilight Sparkle ^

#9 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

Posted Image

i've flown in it a few times on air france between NY and Paris. it's really pretty awesome. going up the staircase in flight is so much fun haha
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#10 aeromotacanucks

aeromotacanucks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

bah!

I am bush Pilot in Brazil for more than 5 years. if I can fly that junkplanes and still manage to be safe on it in the middle of nowhere I´m pretty sure it will be safe fly a machine with 2 turbofans and zillions of computers...

people complain about the 787 battery. try fly a Cessna 310Q in the middle of the jungle between Belém and Manaus, you will see the hell on earth...
Shup up and fly! you´re not payed to think, you´re payed to fly!

#11 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

The 787 is fine. The FAA investigation went all out on this baby and for it to get the go ahead to start flying again means its safe.

Posted Image

#12 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,403 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

bah!

I am bush Pilot in Brazil for more than 5 years. if I can fly that junkplanes and still manage to be safe on it in the middle of nowhere I´m pretty sure it will be safe fly a machine with 2 turbofans and zillions of computers...

people complain about the 787 battery. try fly a Cessna 310Q in the middle of the jungle between Belém and Manaus, you will see the hell on earth...

if any of that is true I raise my glass to you sir

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#13 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

try fly a Cessna 310Q in the middle of the jungle between Belém and Manaus, you will see the hell on earth...

i love the 310! then again, i've never flown it for 800 miles above the jungle haha...
Posted Image

#14 aeromotacanucks

aeromotacanucks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

if any of that is true I raise my glass to you sir

yep. it´s true. I´m a bush Pilot here. flying old airplanes, 27 years, dealing EVERY FLIGHT with an ATC that doesn´t cooperate with me, zillions of miles of damm f$%%# jungle, crazy weather, very short runways, marginal operations, very poor maintenance, stress, malfunctions, roberry, shootings, stupid passengers, overloaded airplane and dual language ATC (English/Portuguese)...BUT people get worried about the brand new 787! I´m worried checking if at least 70% of the airplane is suitable because we gonna have to take-off overloaded again to cross 600 miles in the middle of nowhere, there´s NO alternative, there´s NO deviation and there´s NO other airfield for the next 600 miles. your only choice is land or die...and them the guy landing an A320 in Vancouver International Airport thinks too hard do an ILS by hand. I would be happy if the weather radar of my airplane works fine for more than 3 flights without brake...

#15 aeromotacanucks

aeromotacanucks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

i love the 310! then again, i've never flown it for 800 miles above the jungle haha...

dude. it´s the scariest thing ever. 4 hours in the middle of nothing just thinking "if I crash here there´s 100% of change I will die of any possible way [impact, disease, wild animal, indians] and nobody will find me"

#16 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,320 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

I'd love to fly...just hate to think about landing.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#17 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

dude. it´s the scariest thing ever. 4 hours in the middle of nothing just thinking "if I crash here there´s 100% of change I will die of any possible way [impact, disease, wild animal, indians] and nobody will find me"

yeah that's rough. i'll take death by impact i guess. really puts things into perspective. where i have flown, i've always been within minutes of several airports. it can make things a little tricky when trying to figure out if you're actually going to the right place, but it adds a great sense of security.

edit: not to mention it's full of fields that are safe to land on

Edited by La Mauviette75, 28 April 2013 - 09:31 PM.

Posted Image

#18 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:22 AM

Posted Image

Only on first or business class. Otherwise, it's just another seat in the sky.

#19 Kakanucks

Kakanucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:06 AM

um....what was wrong with the dreamliner in the first place???

sorry if it sounds like a stupid question....just the first time i've heard about it :unsure:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#20 aeromotacanucks

aeromotacanucks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:28 AM

um....what was wrong with the dreamliner in the first place???

sorry if it sounds like a stupid question....just the first time i've heard about it :unsure:

in very short terms. was a battery problem...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.