Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[The Province] Loads of Canucks playoff tickets available raising questions about Vancouver market

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#1 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,513 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

Loads of Canucks playoff tickets available raising questions about Vancouver market:

Posted Image

If you’re looking for Canucks playoff tickets, you’re in luck.

Seats are available. Lots of them. All those dark blue dots could be yours. In fact, it looks like entire rows can be had in the lower bowl.

You can take your pick too. Seats remain in every section of the Rogers Arena lower bowl for the first game of the playoffs. Obviously there were plenty of season ticket holders who said no thanks when given first crack at the postseason tickets this year.

It probably says more about the price point than interest in the team, but it sure raises all kinds of questions.

Often tickets for event games like the postseason are stockpiled by the secondary market, and sold through sites like StubHub. But not even scalpers want a piece of the Canucks this year. They know they can’t make any money .

Why?

There’s been a downward-sloping demand curve in Vancouver and there are several factors, including the lockout, a team many view as stale and that team’s renewed commitment this year to play a more defensive style. You know, boring.

Mix in a fan base which has incredibly high expectations, one that has apparently allowed itself to be spoiled by a few division titles and one run to the Stanley Cup final.

The joke last year was Canucks fans didn’t care until the playoffs. Now, there’s a suggestion they won’t care until Round 2. If that’s true, when would they care if the Canucks ever won a Stanley Cup?

Winning hasn’t impacted the Chicago Blackhawks. They’re all sold out for Game 1.

Maybe the fans have been over indulged with success after winning back-to-back Presidents’ Trophies. But the Canucks have made it out of the second round once in 19 years. That’s like spoiling your girlfriend with a Cactus Club brunch and a matinee to see The Rock. Not bad, but she’s not going to make a photo album out of it and reminisce years later.

The levelling off — or cratering — supply has been met with an upward sloping price curve. In other words, greed.

And you start to wonder if the Canucks are at risk of starting to price themselves out of the market. The tickets available in the above pic go for $255 a piece. That’s $510 just for your two tickets just to start your night out.

The same tickets to see the Anaheim Ducks in a similar section are $115. Maybe that’s why the Ducks have sold more playoff tickets in the lower bowl than the Canucks.

Posted Image

Not sure the Canucks are concerned, but they have to be noticing.

Coincidentally, the team is dispatching assistant GM Laurence Gilman and COO Victor de Bonis to local radio stations Monday. The team requested they come in to do a couple of minutes on air on each station to give away tickets and promote the Canucks’ “Playoff Initiatives.”

I’m guessing the No. 1 initiative is sell more tickets.

http://blogs.theprov...ncouver-market/

Edited by -Vintage Canuck-, 28 April 2013 - 12:53 PM.

307mg00.jpg

#2 deized_kanuck604

deized_kanuck604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

POPULAR

The prices are retarded!!!
Posted Image

a true faN.
!kilLuminati!

#3 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

POPULAR

The prices are retarded!!!

This.

I genuinely hope there's some empty seats for the playoffs. It's the only way they'll get the message.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#4 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

a message being sent to the owners, price accordingly or you'll get empty seats. Then again what do they care, they don't pay the players now so everything is gravy for them.......

#5 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,999 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

prices are way too expensive.. $150 for nosebleed is nuts

#6 The Magician

The Magician

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,789 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

The day that a california team sells out in the playoffs and a canadian team doesn't...

cL3GIZK.jpg

Credit to Parise11 for the amazing sig!

#7 Cpt_scary

Cpt_scary

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

this actually makes me sad.. playoffs are supposed to be an exciting time of year. physical faster paced games played in front of energized arenas.. instead because of these inflated ticket prices our boys end up playing in front of a 3/4 full building or a full building of suits with their mouths glued shut

#8 Airjasper

Airjasper

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

Definitely a reflection of how terrible the tickets are priced...Having said that i'm still kind of surprised it wasn't an instant sell out.

#9 C750X

C750X

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

POPULAR

Overpriced tickets + uninspired play

#10 JE14

JE14

Entitled Anarchist Goat King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,289 posts

prices are way too expensive.. $150 for nosebleed is nuts

Posted Image

CDCFL Bruins |  EHL Canucks

#11 xereau

xereau

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

This.

I genuinely hope there's some empty seats for the playoffs. It's the only way they'll get the message.

You know there won't be.

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man:
brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the

timid join him; for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."

Mark Twain

#12 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,507 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

Maybe the Nucks should have thought about that when they crapped the bed in the last regular season game against the Ducks.

Just because people have the money to buy those tickets, doesn't mean they will and in fact, based on the team's effort most nights, I can see why the intelligent fan would be waiting to see if this team will even show up before blowing hundreds/thousands on a team that looks weaker than last year's which was weaker than the one before that.

#13 canuckinparadise

canuckinparadise

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

My husband and I currently live in Hawaii so to watch games, we use nhl.com and hit a couple of local bars when they are blacked out. I've seen ads from other venues that offer 2 tickets, two hotdogs, and 2 drinks for $50. I've seen 4-packs of tickets advertised for $120. When I go home to Vancouver, I know we can't afford to buy tickets because they cost more that our flights did. Comparatively speaking, we could get season tickets in the nosebleed seats (Hey, I'm still there!) in a number of venues for what it would cost for a couple of games in Rogers Arena lower bowl. If management doesn't get smart, Rogers is going to become a ghost town filled with suits and cellphones because nobody can afford to take the family anymore.

#14 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

Generally speaking, charging more for less results in lower sales.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#15 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

I'd like to see how many opens sets there will be when the schedule out.

#16 rampage

rampage

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

I can find a few reasons for this

- Ticket prices are ridiculous
- The teams play this year has been way below what we are used to, playing 1 period a game will do this
- A few of the season ticket holders were worried that they were about to pay for a series of Canucks vs Wild...nobody would do that

#17 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

I get that some people can and will pay high prices for tickets, but man. It really sucks especially when you don't live in Vancouver. I live on the Island and I've fortunate enough to get to 3 games this season and I hope I can go to a game in round 2. But it's already expensive enough to get to Vancouver and have a place to stay the night / Go to the team store, dinner, have a fun night out.

It makes sense that the lower bowl is so much quieter. These people can afford to go whenever they want. The first game I was at this season was I was in the lower bowl, the guy beside me was on his cell most of the time, and a few rows down was a guy who was more interested in trying to make out with his GF rather than watch the game. Meanwhile, in the upper bowl people just are so damn excited to be there, and it's a much better experience

I know it's a business and supply and demand and all that stuff, but it still sucks. Regardless, I'll still shell out the cash to see the Canucks, because I love this team.

g3HKFnX.png

#18 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,507 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

SO many threads about the horrible fans yet, when the Nucks played LA and Chicago with real effort, Rogers was loud and alive.

Fans show up to support theri fans, it's up to the players to give them something to cheer about. This year, the style of hockey the team has played together with the pathetic effort on most occasions has given the fans very little to get excited about.

May be a bit of chicken and egg thing but I really think this team has to prove it is a contender this year and so far, despite the division banner (weak division) they have not really showed they are capable of going any deeper than last year.

The Leaf's fans may be satisfied with an appearance at the dance, but the Nucks fans want their team to be the bell of the ball or at least, dance like they think they are.

Edited by DIBdaQUIB, 28 April 2013 - 01:42 PM.

#19 Ocular Patdown

Ocular Patdown

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

This doesn't shock me. Its about time the market caught up. Although obviously ownership will buy out all those empty seats prior to puck drop to preserve the "sell out streak".

#20 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

Overpriced tickets + uninspired play

Definitely. My uncle has season tickets in the 15th row. Two seats @ $198 each. For them to play like they did against the Ducks the other night, the game we went to, he's better off trying to sell them instead.
Posted Image

#21 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

Who wants to risk paying that much money for tickets when this team has proven they can just as likely melt down and lose 7-2 as win an exciting barn burner? My dad lives in downtown Vancouver and used to go to quite a few games but even he's not going anymore because he just doesn't know what team is going to show up. Way too risky when you're talking about $150+ for a decent seat.

#22 rampage

rampage

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

This doesn't shock me. Its about time the market caught up. Although obviously ownership will buy out all those empty seats prior to puck drop to preserve the "sell out streak".

They will buy them out and then give them away to make Rogers Arena full and to make it appear like there's no problem, that the fans are still paying these prices.

#23 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,507 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

They will buy them out and then give them away to make Rogers Arena full and to make it appear like there's no problem, that the fans are still paying these prices.

Yup! It's like companies buying their own stock to keep the price up. If they allow empty seats, it will force the price down. THis way, if the Nucks do manage to play at a level that makes them look like they're going somewhere, the fans will come back and the price for seats will be the same or higher.

Aquilini needs to make some coin to buy out LU this summer 'cause the way his stock is dropping, he isn't going to fetch much in a trade.

Edited by DIBdaQUIB, 28 April 2013 - 01:57 PM.

#24 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,716 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

It's not the fans, it's the insane prices.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same price as the Leafs tickets

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#25 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

Greed has no bounds.
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#26 Fred65

Fred65

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

Apparently the Canuck management haven't heard of the old addage "never spoil a good thing" or the laws of supply and demand. Instead they rely on...."pushing the envelope" and greed conquers all :sick:

#27 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

my playoff tickets almost cost more than a full season of 45 home games (41 + 4 preseason). So for a potential 16games it costs almost as much as 45games that is shameful. SCF tickets are 3times the price of a regular season game. For me to take my family to a SCF game will be in excess of 2grand.

In 2010 i think it cost us 5thousand to see the canucks/boston series alone. And that is STH price not retail/ticketscammer prices.

Edited by stexx, 28 April 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#28 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,497 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

prices seem the same to me i paid 250 for high upper corner for the western conference final same area as the 150 priced sections

#29 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,144 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

I will be watching the playoffs at home. Prices are ridiculously expensive

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#30 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

Overpriced tickets.. but also i don't think you can discount the fact for that many ppl just making the playoffs isn't exciting. 1st round isn't exciting, its more okay whatever we've seen this core here b4.. I don't think the feeling is going to change much until we missed the playoffs for a couple years/or see a new core emerge/win a cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.