Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Don Cherry ‘I don’t believe women should be in the male dressing room’ - Keith Incident

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#31 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,791 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

So, should gay men be allowed in mens dressing rooms? .. how about gay men in womens dressing rooms or lesbians in a mans room? .. how about a transvestite? .. are they to be forbidden from all dressing rooms? .. this is all so 20th century .. :picard:

Edited by Tearloch7, 28 April 2013 - 06:32 PM.

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#32 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,853 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

Since Don opined on the NHL dressing rooms of 45 years ago the world moved on.
As many female reporters have stated since Don opened his big yap , the NHL dressing rooms now have a changing room attached to a shower room and then a room where they meet the reporters.
Seems so many have yet to figure it out and yet it is a fact for over a decade now.
Women reporters don't compromise any athletes and the athletes should come in to the reporter's room properly attired.

#33 UFTcan

UFTcan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

Are male reporters allowed in girls locker room whens they are changing with cameras and microphones pointed at them?

Or is that some jail time..

#34 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

Listen to what cherry says from about 4:06-4:15.... If people were smart enough
To pick up what he's laying down, this wouldn't be an issue. He comes from the chivalry days. Most guys are trash and I agree woman shouldn't be equal, they should be put up on a pedestal far above us.

#35 Canuck or Die

Canuck or Die

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

Most guys are trash and I agree woman shouldn't be equal, they should be put up on a pedestal far above us.

No, they should not.

Edited by Canuck or Die, 28 April 2013 - 09:15 PM.

EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We WILL be drinking from Lord Stanley's Cup soon, Canucks Nation!

Posted Image

#36 Proballhockeyplayer

Proballhockeyplayer

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

what happended to canucks coummnity am i seeing these type of word wow you guys please stop why we talking about these word this is suppose to be a website which is friendly wow :shock: :picard:
Posted Image

Thanks Vintage Canucks For The SIG

#37 pianoman13

pianoman13

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

No, the should not.

The should not what? I agree with what the poster is saying. Maybe he (or she haha) didn`t word it in the best way with the pedastol analogy, but I get what they are saying and think it is the right attitude.

No videos in sig please. 

#38 Nordiques_fan

Nordiques_fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

To be fair, reporter should take some clothes off before entering the dressing room.

#39 ba;;isticsports

ba;;isticsports

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

respect and privacy for our differences should come 1st, otherwise why have seperate rooms at all,anywhere?

#40 JasetheCanuck

JasetheCanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

i was agreeing with his point until i thought about it... in the dressing room, none of the players are fully naked even as they undress, because it's an area fully documented by press and media. so why would players even THINK about taking advantage of a female in front of so many people? it makes no sense what he ended up arguing, and it just made himself look bad.

Posted Image

Ebbett is as useful as a North Korean ballot box.

#41 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

Listen to what cherry says from about 4:06-4:15.... If people were smart enough
To pick up what he's laying down, this wouldn't be an issue. He comes from the chivalry days. Most guys are trash and I agree woman shouldn't be equal, they should be put up on a pedestal far above us.

Not sure if srs? Don Cherry says women SHOULDN'T be put on a pedestal and I agree with him.

You sound like that guy that buys a woman all kinds of gifts and tells her she's perfect just because she has a vagina (despite flaws) only to get friendzoned. People are people and there are trashy women and trashy men, good women and good men. Sure there are probably differencees between genders but overall, women aren't perfect/superior creatures, they are human just like men and therefore all of them have good points and bad points.

Edited by etsen3, 28 April 2013 - 09:52 PM.

#42 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

Just a bloody red herring. The focus should remain on what a rude idiot DK is-save this debate for another day. Keith's probably loving any diversion.

#43 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,853 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:20 PM

Not sure if srs? Don Cherry says women SHOULDN'T be put on a pedestal and I agree with him.

You sound like that guy that buys a woman all kinds of gifts and tells her she's perfect just because she has a vagina (despite flaws) only to get friendzoned. People are people and there are trashy women and trashy men, good women and good men. Sure there are probably differencees between genders but overall, women aren't perfect/superior creatures, they are human just like men and therefore all of them have good points and bad points.

Buddy,you are in very deep water here and I suggest you start swimming.

#44 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:53 PM

Buddy,you are in very deep water here and I suggest you start swimming.

Yeah I know, some people will get their knickers in a knot just because I'm not a "gentleman" that treats someone extra special because they have boobs and a vagina. God forbid someone suggest that we are all human and none of us are entitled to special treatment (at least not for friviolous reasons such as gender). Come at me everyone.

One thing though is I might have misinterpreted Don's comments. Now that I've seen it again I can't tell whether he personally thinks women are above men or if he's just saying that's how some people see it.

Edited by etsen3, 28 April 2013 - 11:55 PM.

#45 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:56 AM

No they can't vote or go to school or work and they must cover their ankles

Based on his previous comments, they also shouldn't be allowed to attend hockey games.

#46 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:02 AM

Why would any reporter regardless of gender be in a room with people before they are dressed anyway? They (teams) should have a dressing room (for that) and a press area.

#47 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

I think women should be allowed in the dressing rooms. I don't see a problem. If she refuses, that is fair enough too.

By the way "kissing the badge" is the most repulsive thing in European Sport. Please don't let it come into hockey. I would have more respect for a player, if he produced his wallet and french kissed it to tatters.
The whole kissing the badge thing is disingenuous.
Kevin.jpg

#48 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

Why would any reporter regardless of gender be in a room with people before they are dressed anyway? They (teams) should have a dressing room (for that) and a press area.

They essentially do. Changeroom and shower area are seperate from the "dressing room" where they meet the media.

#49 TheLiveWire

TheLiveWire

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

I don't understand why reporters can't wait 15 minutes for the players to get out of the dressing room anyway. And we all know that if a male was in a womens dressing room where theyre all pretty much naked, we would think thats wrong. I say all reporters should wait outside.

#50 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,703 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

Fully agree with this - players dressing room should be off limits to reporters...wait until they come out for interviews...issue resolved.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#51 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

Isn't cheryy like 90? Get him off TV its embarrassing to hear him speak

WHATCHU GONNA DO WHEN MILLERMANIA RUNS WILDDDD ON YOU?!

Florida Panthers GM -  2014-15 Shapheat FHL

#52 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

as far as I know, she was there doing an interview. Women has been doing this for a long time. get real Don. I think old men above 75 needs to stop being on the air. They go on rambling and before you know it, he says stupid things.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#53 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,865 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

As others have stated, my issue is that reporters are in the dressing room to begin with. If I were a pro athlete, I would decline any interview in the dressing room, as I would view it as a place where my teammates and coaches can speak openly. Seperate press area for interviews.

As a married man, I completely understand what Don Cherry meant by putting women on a pedestal. The comment wasn't relevant to the topic at hand, but leave that to Ron Maclean for sucking him into it.

Like I said, I have a problem with the media being in the dressing room to begin with. However, that won't change. Do I think women should be in the dressing room? No, and they shouldn't until male reporters would be allowed into female dressing rooms, which they won't, nor should they.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#54 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,065 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

For his good friend Cherry gets people to talk about him and forget that Keith was unprofessional and totally condescending -- AND slashed Daniel without getting the call.

Perfect, the ol' boys school at it again....

You do realize that when a player scores on a delayed penalty that the penalty is voided don't you? Penalty + goal = penalty voided. It's actually in the rulebook.

Keith isn't the first and won't be the last to be condescending, or even downright rude, when a reporter asks really stupid questions. GM's, coaches, and players have done it before without much hoopla. It does go with the job. His worst mistake was doing it to a female reporter. So much for equality.

Cherry is right on the one hand that if female reporters are allowed in male locker rooms, male reporters should be allowed in female locker rooms. Otherwise it's equality for women but not for men. Which of course means it's not equality at all.
Posted Image

#55 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

I think female reporters should be allowed in the dressing rooms but only if they are hot and in their underwear or naked too. :towel:

This is all you need to take away from this thread.

Posted Image

#56 C750X

C750X

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

She's there. She's part of your team. She's "changing" with you, and "nobody had a problem with it"

If it's all so cool, why didn't she shower with you too?

Think about your answer......

They didn't have a problem with it in Starship Troopers lol

#57 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

I'd say everyone should be naked when they are in the dressing room, whether they are straight, gay, lesbian, female or male. That should fix a lot of problems and everyone would be equal.

Posted Image

#58 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

I don't understand why reporters can't wait 15 minutes for the players to get out of the dressing room anyway. And we all know that if a male was in a womens dressing room where theyre all pretty much naked, we would think thats wrong. I say all reporters should wait outside.

IF it is about equality, then we should scrap the whole Mens and Womens washroom and just have one unisex washroom in all the public and private facilities.

Posted Image

#59 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

IF it is about equality, then we should scrap the whole Mens and Womens washroom and just have one unisex washroom in all the public and private facilities.

They have these on campus at UVic. Just stalls in a gender neutral washroom.

#60 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

So, is he defending Keith then?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.