The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

B.C. Premier Christy Clark slammed for running a red light

J529

Best Post Ever!!!!!!

Unfortunately I don't think either one (Clark & Dix) is capable of doing it. Just once I want someone to lay it all on the line and say how it really is. That the economy is going down. The debt is rising. That just for one term...we all need to buckle down and cut programs, put incentives to grow the economy, let the pipeline in and tax the hell out of it, etc.

But that will never happen.

Apparently Clark was waiting at a stale red light, where there was nobody at the intersection. 5 AM in the morning, and no car in sight? She just treated it like a 4-way and went through.

What she did NOT do is run right through the light like a crazy mom. Either the media is completely against her or this was just a journalistic screw-up. The damage is done regardless.

Apparently Clark was waiting at a stale red light, where there was nobody at the intersection. 5 AM in the morning, and no car in sight? She just treated it like a 4-way and went through.

What she did NOT do is run right through the light like a crazy mom. Either the media is completely against her or this was just a journalistic screw-up. The damage is done regardless.

Clark's son says that she runs red lights all the time. Media is treating this as a one time incident, when it clearly is not. That speaks to her character as a person, someone who should not be Premier.

http://www.vancouver...3089/story.html

“Let’s see you go through this red light,” Hamish challenged as they pulled up that morning, at 5:15 a.m., to an abandoned Vancouver intersection.

“I might. Don’t test me,” Clark replies.

“Yeah. Go ahead.”

“Should I?”

“There’s no one.”

“Would you go through? You shouldn’t because that would be breaking the law,” she says.

And with that the car has already sailed underneath the stale red stoplight and through the empty intersection.

“You always do that,” says Hamish.

It's the law and she broke it. Doesn't paint a very pretty picture on how she came to such a terrible, poor and selfish decision. Nor, did she set a very good example for her son. Especially in light of the tragedy over the weekend in Surrey where 5 were killed as a result of someone also running a red light. You know the end is near for Clark and Liberals when her supporters and right-wingers are resorting to such non-sense. The media is out to get her? They're so desperate to stop Dix from becoming Premier. Journalist screw up? This is even most absurd. I'm surprised you don't allege the Journalist was a paid off undercover NDP ally.

You seem to think I'm some sort of Liberal supporter. I'm just bringing up the old topic because of a conversation I just had with a Vancouver journalist. Dismiss it as hearsay if you want, but he knows what goes on and he knows the guy who wrote the article. He was just ranting about bad journalism and unnecessary media spin. That's the point I'm reiterating. We all know what's going to happen to Clark on election day.

You might be right about the media's bias, but don't deny that this was a JUICY headline which people totally bought into. Never did I once consider the fact that the journalist was spinning up the story about an empty intersection where the driver stopped, looked and went.

I might sound like a Clark apologetic here, so I'm not gonna blame you for thinking that.

Sure, whether she ran through or 4-wayed a red light means the same in the law's eyes. When I think about someone making excuses for lawbreaking, I think of Camille Cacnio from the riots. There was nothing she could do in terms of damage control except apologize. Politically, it was the best option available. The premier cannot justify jaywalking. I can. I think it's that kind of situation.

As for the red light debate, I tried to think realistically here. She is driving her kid to school, and she's gonna zip right through an intersection? And she's gonna do that with the journalist in the backseat of the car? Foregoing all my political opinions of her, I do not believe Christy Clark to be a dangerous, reckless parent. I also don't think she's an idiot who's going to "run" a red light while there's a journalist in her car.

I can now envision a more likely scenario: she's taking the regular route to take her kid to school, and again she's caught on a red light at a deserted intersection at five in the morning. Using her sense of judgment, she hesitates, looks both ways and goes. It's kinda like me jaywalking to my bus every day, or more like her treating the stop as a 4-way. Her son explicitly said she'd "always do that". Do what, though? There's no way in hell she's just gonna floor it every time when she's with her kid.

I think what my colleague was trying to tell me was that this was a very sensationalist article that made Christy Clark look like a loose cannon. I'm totally speculating here, and maybe she is the complete package who will run a red light at full speed while her son and a journalist sit in the backseat. If so, she's got some serious guts/problems.

No surprise here to anyone who listened to Clark when she had her talk radio show on CKNW.

She didn't agree with the cell phone law. She thinks people should be allowed to talk on their phones while driving even though law enforcement says its a bad idea. She is the epitome of do as I say, not as I do.

Exactly why Liberals axed Photo Radar. They claim it was a waste of money, but really they are some of the worst driving offenders. Clark blowing through a red light with her son, who said she does it all the time.

It's the law and she broke it. Doesn't paint a very pretty picture on how she came to such a terrible, poor and selfish decision. Nor, did she set a very good example for her son. Especially in light of the tragedy over the weekend in Surrey where 5 were killed as a result of someone also running a red light. You know the end is near for Clark and Liberals when her supporters and right-wingers are resorting to such non-sense. The media is out to get her? They're so desperate to stop Dix from becoming Premier. Journalist screw up? This is even most absurd. I'm surprised you don't allege the Journalist was a paid off undercover NDP ally.

I didn't get any sense of Clark being a loose cannon. The article made it pretty clear she didn't speed through the intersection, and anyone comparing her to the van that killed five is a bloody idiot. That said, treating a functional red light as anything but a red light is against the law.

You don't sound like a Clark apologist because you're defending her, you sound like one because you're using laughable arguments to do it. Your "likely scenario" (also how it actually happened in the article) is still illegal. Being goaded into going on a red by an 11 year old, with a reporter in the back, and an election weeks away, is not using one's "sense of judgement". Anyone exercising their "sense of judgement" can see that.

Some years ago a guy I worked with went on a red light while on the Island. He just bought his new car a week prior and it was the first work trip he went on. He was at a red in the middle of the night and decided to go, only to be rammed by a Jeep that "came out of nowhere". He treated the intersection as a four way, the other guy didn't.

Actually it's a poorly designed intersection. Lights on roads that have almost no volume in off hours should be set to going to flashing red effectively making them four way stops..

I would do the exact same thing as her and if asked about I wouldn't apologize about it I would point out that it was the rational, safe thing to do, and that the intersection is at fault.

The speed limit usually is wrong. Sometimes it's actually too high. You can tell when the barriers tend to be black from so many tires riding up on them.

Now, if your going way faster than everyone else weaving in and out of traffic, you are speeding.

But if your just going with the flow I personally would argue it in court.

Sometimes you have to break the law to actually be safer. Heck, if you didn't break the law, most of the left turns you see wouldn't happen.

The double solid lines are usually correct. In fact many of the dashed passing lanes would require you to speed to pass safely IMHO.

Archived