The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mark Spector article on Luongo

Hexinvir

It was a lose-lose situation. Leaving in Lu was a bad move, hanging him out to dry like that. However, putting in Cannata would also be a bad move. I mean the guy has never played an NHL game before, suddenly in his first appearance he's getting thrown to the wolves to be lit up. So neither option was exactly ideal.

I hope very much Schneider is healthy and ready to start the entire playoffs because if they get eliminated the Luongo excuse can not be used. I want to see who will get the blame then.

After what happened to Lu on sat, I hope that was last time he gets screwed by the coach and is on a new fresh team next year or if it is still here AV must be gone regardless.

It was a lose-lose situation. Leaving in Lu was a bad move, hanging him out to dry like that. However, putting in Cannata would also be a bad move. I mean the guy has never played an NHL game before, suddenly in his first appearance he's getting thrown to the wolves to be lit up. So neither option was exactly ideal.

I hope very much Schneider is healthy and ready to start the entire playoffs because if they get eliminated the Luongo excuse can not be used. I want to see who will get the blame then.

After what happened to Lu on sat, I hope that was last time he gets screwed by the coach and is on a new fresh team next year or if it is still here AV must be gone regardless.

For me, Lu stating,"my contract sucks" is what's gonna stick from this shortened campaign. Too many problems in this world; a buck is not so easy(for most folk) to chase down nowadays. Maybe it's splitting hairs, but even if he'd said,"Apparently other teams think my contract sucks", well, that would've been better.

Sort of felt Gillis let TO mgt lead him around on deadline-day. A distraction for the media to focus on & magnify. When Lu got here in Jan, he compared it to the Olympic experience, then appearing to play good soldier. Did he privately become a PITA, blocking a deal or two the team might have been able to swing? Who knows? It seemed Gillis liked an under-the-radar approach in making deals, beforehand. The media hasn't allowed that luxury with this particular case.

We all acknowledge the body of work Lu has put together, while here. Let's not forget, he was VERY well compensated for it too. The Aquilini's shelled out 10 mill for only one season alone(about 50 mill for the 7yrs he's been here); I don't think it should only be about the player's interests. At any rate, it would appear more chapters will be added in this ongoing saga.

I agree with the article. Leaving Luongo out there for 7 goals was a pretty big dis to the guy in possibly his last regular season game as a Canuck, and considering all the records he now holds with the franchise.

First off, AV should have called his time out. That he didn't is ridiculous (I turned the game off after 4-0 and didn't know until reading it in this article). Second, sure you're throwing the rookie 'to the wolves', but as long as AV said to him before he hit the ice, hey look kid, just do what you can, we don't expect to win at this point anyway so no pressure, I don't think it'd be bad for his 'development' if it was like that.

Pretty weak moves by AV

Archived