Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Mark Spector article on Luongo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#1 Hexinvir

Hexinvir

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:51 PM

Saw this article on Sportsnet a few minutes ago, and was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on this article. Agree 100% with what he wrote here.

http://www.sportsnet...l-never-forget/
Posted Image

#2 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

It was a lose-lose situation. Leaving in Lu was a bad move, hanging him out to dry like that. However, putting in Cannata would also be a bad move. I mean the guy has never played an NHL game before, suddenly in his first appearance he's getting thrown to the wolves to be lit up. So neither option was exactly ideal.

#3 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:02 AM

Luongo's used to getting shelled. 6 goals, 7 goals, 8 goals, Luongo can't be phased.

#4 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:04 AM

Dp

Edited by playboi19, 29 April 2013 - 12:06 AM.

#5 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,599 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:05 AM

Surprised he was as nice to Lu as he was.

That's not Spec's usual thing.

I agree aswell though.

zackass.png

#6 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:09 AM

Dp

I agree, at least we don't have DiPietro

#7 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:18 AM

Agree, either way, Luo ways bounces back

#8 DollarAndADream

DollarAndADream

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,042 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:20 AM

I don't really mind him keeping in Luongo. Throwing Cannata in for that kind of game would be bad for his development, whereas Luongo has had plenty of games with 6+ GA and shown he can perform well right after.

Edited by DollarAndADream, 29 April 2013 - 12:21 AM.

x1vXIze.png
RIP LB/RR - Signature credit to JimLahey

small.pngCDCEHL

#9 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:27 AM

Spector pretty much nailed it

#10 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:33 AM

Lu has to use up his quota of one 7-goal game a season. I'm glad he got that over in the regular season.

#11 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:50 AM

Lu has to use up his quota of one 7-goal game a season. I'm glad he got that over in the regular season.

Yep, happens annually, then he bounces back :)

#12 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:53 AM

I hope very much Schneider is healthy and ready to start the entire playoffs because if they get eliminated the Luongo excuse can not be used. I want to see who will get the blame then.

After what happened to Lu on sat, I hope that was last time he gets screwed by the coach and is on a new fresh team next year or if it is still here AV must be gone regardless.

Edited by cmpunk, 29 April 2013 - 12:53 AM.

Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#13 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:07 AM

Hated it
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#14 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:13 AM

It was a lose-lose situation. Leaving in Lu was a bad move, hanging him out to dry like that. However, putting in Cannata would also be a bad move. I mean the guy has never played an NHL game before, suddenly in his first appearance he's getting thrown to the wolves to be lit up. So neither option was exactly ideal.

Exactly this.

Referring back to the article, how could anyone in his right mind be happy about getting blitzed, esp. considering how some might say he was left out to dry with half of the normal roster? Lu deserves the right to be frustrated about the result. However, in the bigger picture I think he should also sympathize with AV, in that he knows that to best prep for the playoffs they would scratch guys in this meaningless game and so they would be at a disadvantage. Cannata's not ready to play in the NHL either, putting him in would have been unfair for Joe, and Lu gives them the best chance to steal a win (almost did, if that 3:35 didn't play out like that). Lastly, as a professional it's to his credit that he stuck in there since, in order to keep the score close for the Oil fans he would've been called upon to make saves against the full-on Oiler attack when his defense is undermanned. It may not have been "fair" for him but he still needs to do his job.

In short, I don't think there's an optimal solution but this decision by AV could've been it (unless they invented robots who played goal so they'd be competent AND not get hurt emotionally if they got blitzed).

Edited by Phil_314, 29 April 2013 - 01:14 AM.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#15 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:40 AM

I hope very much Schneider is healthy and ready to start the entire playoffs because if they get eliminated the Luongo excuse can not be used. I want to see who will get the blame then.

After what happened to Lu on sat, I hope that was last time he gets screwed by the coach and is on a new fresh team next year or if it is still here AV must be gone regardless.

I don't think you get that being pulled on what is likely to be your last regular season game is more of a case of "getting screwed by the coach" than being left in. Clearly you don't know what it's like to be a competitor who always wants a chance to bounce back.

Keswho.jpg

#16 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:01 AM

For me, Lu stating,"my contract sucks" is what's gonna stick from this shortened campaign. Too many problems in this world; a buck is not so easy(for most folk) to chase down nowadays. Maybe it's splitting hairs, but even if he'd said,"Apparently other teams think my contract sucks", well, that would've been better.

Sort of felt Gillis let TO mgt lead him around on deadline-day. A distraction for the media to focus on & magnify. When Lu got here in Jan, he compared it to the Olympic experience, then appearing to play good soldier. Did he privately become a PITA, blocking a deal or two the team might have been able to swing? Who knows? It seemed Gillis liked an under-the-radar approach in making deals, beforehand. The media hasn't allowed that luxury with this particular case.

We all acknowledge the body of work Lu has put together, while here. Let's not forget, he was VERY well compensated for it too. The Aquilini's shelled out 10 mill for only one season alone(about 50 mill for the 7yrs he's been here); I don't think it should only be about the player's interests. At any rate, it would appear more chapters will be added in this ongoing saga.

#17 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:03 AM

I agree with the article. Leaving Luongo out there for 7 goals was a pretty big dis to the guy in possibly his last regular season game as a Canuck, and considering all the records he now holds with the franchise.

First off, AV should have called his time out. That he didn't is ridiculous (I turned the game off after 4-0 and didn't know until reading it in this article). Second, sure you're throwing the rookie 'to the wolves', but as long as AV said to him before he hit the ice, hey look kid, just do what you can, we don't expect to win at this point anyway so no pressure, I don't think it'd be bad for his 'development' if it was like that.

Pretty weak moves by AV

#18 rampage

rampage

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:16 AM

Did not expect that from Spector, he is usually a total dick when talking about anything Canucks and never sees any positives. That article was bang on.

#19 JelloIce

JelloIce

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:24 AM

AV's preference of chewing gum over saying a word or two might have some sort of effect that as fans, we still wonder about.

But here, god...it's disgusting. Might as well just spit his gum on the ice.

#20 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,692 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:54 AM

Felt bad for Lou!! What made it worse was the stupid celebrations by the Coilers. If that was his last game, what a way to go out.

#21 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,567 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:53 AM

I'm usually one of the people defending the bulk of coaching decisions, but this was an absolutely inexplicable decision by AV. Lou should have come out after the 4th or 5th goal. Vigneault also should have used a timeout to tell the Canucks' skaters to get their collective heads out of their collective posteriors.

Cannata would have loved a chance to play in that game, blowout or not.

Like Spector said, we'd better hope that Schneider truly is ready to go, because it would be pretty tough to go back to Luongo in game 1 after that debacle.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#22 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

I felt bad for Luongo as well - but let's not forget he is the guy who let 7 goals in. Yes, the team had all but vanished for some of those goals but ultimately, nobody did their job properly for the last 10-15 minutes of that game.

It is a shame that his last regular season game for the Canucks ended like that.
Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#23 lolwut?

lolwut?

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

I felt bad for Luongo as well - but let's not forget he is the guy who let 7 goals in. Yes, the team had all but vanished for some of those goals but ultimately, nobody did their job properly for the last 10-15 minutes of that game.

It is a shame that his last regular season game for the Canucks ended like that.

Have you ever played goaltender once in your life? Have you ever when your team collectively "stops playing" like the canucks did?
Give it a try and then come talk about how "he still let in 7 goals".. its pretty hard not to when you have no team in front of you.

Typical canuck mentality.. let in a goal which makes it 3-2 in the third and just pack it in..followed by the typical fan mentality, blame it all on the golden scapegoat luongo.

Wonder who people will blame once lu is gone..? I think everyone knows the answer.. we have a fresh plot ready and waiting in the goalie graveyard..

#24 sam13371337

sam13371337

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

in the history of the NHL, has a backup goalie gotten so much attention?

I blame this distraction on Gillis.
Fire MG

#25 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,496 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

Felt bad for Lou!! What made it worse was the stupid celebrations by the Coilers. If that was his last game, what a way to go out.

Well in fairness it's his last game in Vancouver, maybe. He's not retiring from hockey.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#26 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

If gillis did his job, none of this crap happens, the fanboys find another team, the haters go back to trashing Raymond and the rest start the beard growing.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#27 SILLY GOOSE

SILLY GOOSE

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

Pro sports can be a tough biz.

200.gif200.gif

#28 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

Not pulling him is a defensible decision. Failing to call a timeout is not.

#29 gurn

gurn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

"It is a shame that his last regular season game for the Canucks ended like that.'

Wasn't his last regular season gajme supposed to be last year? A lot of people are assuming he gets traded, but the nucks have been trying that for a year now; why is this off season going to be different?

#30 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,874 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

If it were me, I would have pulled a Roy...

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

cdc-unavailable.jpg

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.