Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JelloIce

Have the stars aligned?

53 posts in this topic

Can't be more aligned than they were in 2011. Can't remember how many statistics we ruined when we lost to the Bruins. I'm not one for superstition after that.

But hey, positivity. Keep the good vibes coming.

In my mind.. The Canucks are still a decent contender for the Western Conference....The Hawks have to be considered as the class of the Conference,mainly because they have an incredible core of talent,just entering their prime....A Hawks-Canucks series would be epic.

I think all the teams in the Western Conference breathed a sigh of relief not having to face the Blues or Kings...Like two heavyweights,they can go toe to toe..Two tough guys....that will be a nasty series.

One of the more thought out posts I've ever seen, kudos for that. I agree with you on the most part but holy *insert expletive here*, I'm nervous. Part of me still thinks winning in the lockout year will give other teams/supporters/media a chance to say, sure we won the cup, but only cos it was exceptional circumstances....having said that, screw it - YEH, I'M FEELIN' IT!

Playoffs start on my birthday (Aussie time) and my awesomely tacky neon Canucks light has come back to life after almost a year of not working. Good omen? You better believe it baby!

Go Canucks Go!

One of the more thought out posts I've ever seen, kudos for that. I agree with you on the most part but holy *insert expletive here*, I'm nervous. Part of me still thinks winning in the lockout year will give other teams/supporters/media a chance to say, sure we won the cup, but only cos it was exceptional circumstances....having said that, screw it - YEH, I'M FEELIN' IT!

Playoffs start on my birthday (Aussie time) and my awesomely tacky neon Canucks light has come back to life after almost a year of not working. Good omen? You better believe it baby!

Go Canucks Go!

IF the three Division winners advance(I don't anticipate upsets in the west, this year), then the conf will have aligned rather nicely for Van. Second round, the #4/5 winner would square off with Chicago, so only 1 team(beaten/bruised?) advances from 3 formidable, speedy & sizeable opponents in StL, LA & Chi.

This path enables Van to stay in their time zone. It's a very possible outcome, in ousting SJ, they move on to another Calif rival. All the Cal teams have strong points, but exploitable weaknesses, as well. If Van actually brings their top form, I'm rather pleased with the conf seedings.

Should each of the top three seeds win in the first round we would have the Ducks in the second round with Chicago facing the Blues or LA. The way I see it, if Chicago makes it to the western final they'll likely be the beat up team. You never know how playoffs will pan out but I don't mind the Sharks and Ducks being in our way. I really didn't want to open against LA or Detroit. I would have preferred the Blues to either of them. I really think Detroit is the biggest wild card in the west.

IF the three Division winners advance(I don't anticipate upsets in the west, this year), then the conf will have aligned rather nicely for Van. Second round, the #4/5 winner would square off with Chicago, so only 1 team(beaten/bruised?) advances from 3 formidable, speedy & sizeable opponents in StL, LA & Chi.

This path enables Van to stay in their time zone. It's a very possible outcome, in ousting SJ, they move on to another Calif rival. All the Cal teams have strong points, but exploitable weaknesses, as well. If Van actually brings their top form, I'm rather pleased with the conf seedings.

Honestly, I am pretty satisfied with how the seedings worked out.

Who knows, there's a slight tingle in the air, could it be? We will soon see.

+1 for positivity (and a well thought-out post)

@Baggins, 2 great minds, huh? I've been imagining this Calif-path for a couple weeks now. I agree with you in that Van matches up fairly well with these opponents. I'd say a common denominator is not such a deep D for the Calif-3. Although LA did pick up Regehr, they'll be in tough to advance through their route(especially with how Quick looks).

Historically for Van, most PO-runs come out of nowhere, don't they?

This was definitely a weird season. I mean, on the last game of the season, we rested most of our top players. We never actually did that before. Last year, our top players played. Same in 2011 and 2010. This year, they sit out. We also lost our last game of the season. The last four years we won our last games. Does this mean our playoff woes will also be reversed this year? :bigblush:

While I love the positivity, I'm hearing many of the same things that were being said heading into the first round last year against LA.

Once again I think Canuck Nation's rose-coloured glasses need to be taken off for just a bit and give some credit where credit is due. The Sharks are a pretty good team, finishing only two points behind us while playing in the tougher division and after selling off a couple of players who've played key roles for them for many years. Plus they were 3 - 0 against us this year.

They're still fast, big and physical, so let's not start writing about stars aligning just yet. Invariably we all end up very disappointed.

While I love the positivity, I'm hearing many of the same things that were being said heading into the first round last year against LA.

Once again I think Canuck Nation's rose-coloured glasses need to be taken off for just a bit and give some credit where credit is due. The Sharks are a pretty good team, finishing only two points behind us while playing in the tougher division and after selling off a couple of players who've played key roles for them for many years. Plus they were 3 - 0 against us this year.

They're still fast, big and physical, so let's not start writing about stars aligning just yet. Invariably we all end up very disappointed.

We'll be fine. They'll never succeed in the playoffs as long as No Show Joe is there. The guy's a cancer.

I would agree that the stars have aligned, but only with us playing San Jose, as I think we are better suited to play them; we seem to have their number.

What I'm worried about is our long list of injuries this entire year, esp. Schneids. Our playoff hopes rest on whether he is 100% and Schneideresque. Sorry to all you Lou lovers out there, but there is no chance that Lou takes us deep, it all comes down to the Schneiderman.

If our boys can remain healthy then IMO we have a very good chance at playing some great, stingy post season hockey!

Unfotunately, that's a big IF.

Ever since the 2011 and 2012 playoffs, no one has any reason to believe in "stars aligning".

The Canucks had every single statistic going for them in the 2011 Cup run but blew it.

Then in 2012, the Pittsburgh Penguins were heavy Cup favourites, get booted in the 1st round and the 8th seed almost sweeps their way to the Cup.

If we've learned anything these last 2 seasons it's that any team can win the Cup. I would say of the 16 teams that qualified, you could imagine 12-13 of them hoisting the Cup. Detroit, Minnesota and the Islanders are the few exceptions but you never know, even with them. All it takes is a hot goalie and clutch scoring to win some series.

I feel weird ... haven't watched a serious Canucks game in one week now.

I'm going to be on pins and needles come Wednesday.

If anything I would argue the Hawks are better than 2010.

Kane and Toews are 3 years older and that much better. Most of their core got better - even Hossa - who seems to defy aging like Selanne is. They are missing the physicality on the bottom 6, but they are a much faster and skilled team than 2010.