The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Have the stars aligned?

JelloIce

While I love the positivity, I'm hearing many of the same things that were being said heading into the first round last year against LA.

Once again I think Canuck Nation's rose-coloured glasses need to be taken off for just a bit and give some credit where credit is due. The Sharks are a pretty good team, finishing only two points behind us while playing in the tougher division and after selling off a couple of players who've played key roles for them for many years. Plus they were 3 - 0 against us this year.

They're still fast, big and physical, so let's not start writing about stars aligning just yet. Invariably we all end up very disappointed.

the stars don't matter

but if you believe in that stuff then i think you need to wait until you see who the other opponents are before assuming anything (still another 4 rounds to play... are all of them with good matchups?) SJ might be a good matchup for us, let's at least wait for that one to play out first, they might beat us!

I couldn't have picked better seeding myself IMO. Now I don't think anyone's saying the Sharks will be easy (I'm certainly not). IMO no team that makes the playoffs will be "easy" and the Sharks have a very good, big and skilled team. We will have to PLAY for sure.

But IMO, we do match up fairly well with them and IMO the biggest benefit is the travel. Less wear and tear in the first round means more left in the tank for the second, third and fourth (Gordie willing).

I also LOVE that St. Louis and LA got paired up. I was SOOO hopeful that would happen! Let them beat the crap out of each other and then likely beat the crap out of Chicago (if we assume they win). By the time we see one of those three teams, hopefully they more resemble a hospital wing than a hockey team ::D

I love that none of the sports pundits besides john garret is picking us to do anything in the playoffs.... Might make a less vitriolic atmosphere around our run.... If we still got 3rd in the west with a fractured lineup and play like we can against la and chi..... I like our chances.....

All those drooling over PITTS right now DIDNT factor in the fact that he just had his first kid roll into the world on Friday.... Time will tell if his game suffers.....

I also love that the blues and la are going to kick the sh!t outta each other...

I don’t know about the stars being aligned but if things work out that we get through the Sharks then the Ducks I really think we’re going to be pretty sore and bruised in the WCF vs the Hawks Blues or Kings. I am so nervous about the playoffs because I just want them to win so bad! I honestly feel like I haven’t recovered emotionally from the game 7 loss in 2011, I can’t imagine how our guys feel. I have invested so many late nights (I live in northern Ontario) and I want to rub it in everyone's face so badly that it's exhausting.

While I love the positivity, I'm hearing many of the same things that were being said heading into the first round last year against LA.

Once again I think Canuck Nation's rose-coloured glasses need to be taken off for just a bit and give some credit where credit is due. The Sharks are a pretty good team, finishing only two points behind us while playing in the tougher division and after selling off a couple of players who've played key roles for them for many years. Plus they were 3 - 0 against us this year.

They're still fast, big and physical, so let's not start writing about stars aligning just yet. Invariably we all end up very disappointed.

If you're a championship team then you don't need the stars to align. You can take on all takers no matter what. If you're unsure about winning against this or that team because they have this or that against your team, then you are not a championship team.

In that case the NHL hasn't had a championship team in at least 25 years. The last team I can recall that was that dominant was the Oilers in the 80s and even they fell victim to being outworked by a much inferior team one year. With the salary cap there will probably never be another team in the NHL that can win the cup without some good matchups and good luck.

Archived