The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Have the stars aligned?

JelloIce

Are the stars aligning?

First, we all hope Scheider's injury is not something major, and hopefully even a blessing in disguise for him to get ample rest before the ferocity begins.

Then there's the matter of how the seeds scrambled in the last two games. We were set to face a very physical Blues for awhile, which had some people concerned on how it would affect a deep run, but that took a sudden flip in the last stretch. Instead we now face the Sharks, a team that we wouldn't necessarily pen in the W against, but also a team that we'd match up more fairly against if we're considering getting back to the SCF. Instead, the Blues and Kings now face off in the first round, possibly granting the entire Western Conference a sigh of relief. Neither team is coming out of that series without some handicaps going into Round 2.

Of course, as per usual in the West, we can't be ignoring any single team as a legitimate contender, but often times a cup is won with a little help from Lady Luck. If we look at the matchups, a lot of the teams are going to face some adversity that they may not be prepared for. The Wild lack cohesive playoff experience as a unit. The Ducks rode a surge of energy through the regular season that may be cooling off at their worst moment, and against the worst team to cool off against, as the Wings have 20+ years of continuous experience to take advantage of a widespread field of mistakes. However, the Wings are missing a lot of key pieces for a reliable run, and with a reputation of legendary players, tactics, and the like, it's almost difficult to accept that perhaps this season, the Wings' tool shed has rusted down to leave only the gem of experience still glimmering. The Blues of last year rode a similar surge to this season's Ducks and maybe even got a little overconfident up to their throttling from the Kings. They won't make that same mistake this year, especially when their last playoff memory will see no discontinuity as they start right back with revenge against the Kings. The Kings' roster has also gone through a kind of twitch that might not be stifling enough to put down the hungry Blues.

That leaves us with the Hawks and Nucks. The Hawks are still a step behind their 2010 team, but they could be damn close. Not only that, but this Hawk's team is once again energized and purposeful. With their skill, we all know how dangerous that can be. As for the Canucks, despite our daily complaints about how not much has changed, we never noticed the snail cross certain checkpoints. Fortune may smile our way if our injuries do prove to clean up as per schedule. With a healthy roster, we haven't made compromises in skill or depth -- some of the gems of the 2011 team that had the entire city ready to throw a parade. Yet in hindsight, we've added a layer of grit and a fair share of balance since 2011. The Sedin's have balanced the defensive side of their game; our sudden ebb at center walked into a trench with Kesler returning, the acquisition of Roy, and optimistic performances by rookies like Schroeder and even wingers that played center for a few games. We've got a fresh start in net from Schneider, where, given he returns in great condition from injury, could perform without the toll of a full season as starter aching on his back. We can even hope that young acquisitions like Kassian are finally going to pan out. Plus, we've got a reborn Tanev playing stunningly consistent and solid defence, something we've really only stacked on Hammer's shoulder for longer than we'd like to admit. All in all, although we were deep in 2011, we could be guilty of overexaggerating how well talent was distributed across that depth. No one wants to ice the 2nd string because of injuries, but what looked great on paper wasn't as durable as we thought once the rain started.

Much of our disappointing showing last season had to do with an untimely injury to Danny, plus errors like Kesler's nagging injury woes and players who should be showing up such as Lapierre falling asleep at the wrong time, workhorses who started dragging a lazy leg, or lineups that got shopped around like a bad economy. Given we don't go through that again, and see some renewed performances by certain players (I'm looking at you Edler McTurnovers), the big picture actually looks pretty good! I know it's tough to get over the skepticism after last year's fiasco, but come on, that's just the impatience talking as we're all eager to see who's right and who's wrong as the tide rolls in and we finally get back to playoff hockey -- worshipping our towel as we throw all our hopes at the wind and watch as we represent the Northwest Division as its champs one final time.

So take a deep breath, a step back, and just stare for a bit. Grab a cold beer, the chips, the dip, a new Ikea couch, or even print TSN decals all over your room. Superstitions aside...if anything, this year is as good as any to say "Yeah...I'm feelin' it".

Let's go take care of business.

GO CANUCKS GO! :towel:

In my mind.. The Canucks are still a decent contender for the Western Conference....The Hawks have to be considered as the class of the Conference,mainly because they have an incredible core of talent,just entering their prime....A Hawks-Canucks series would be epic.

I think all the teams in the Western Conference breathed a sigh of relief not having to face the Blues or Kings...Like two heavyweights,they can go toe to toe..Two tough guys....that will be a nasty series.

One of the more thought out posts I've ever seen, kudos for that. I agree with you on the most part but holy *insert expletive here*, I'm nervous. Part of me still thinks winning in the lockout year will give other teams/supporters/media a chance to say, sure we won the cup, but only cos it was exceptional circumstances....having said that, screw it - YEH, I'M FEELIN' IT!

Playoffs start on my birthday (Aussie time) and my awesomely tacky neon Canucks light has come back to life after almost a year of not working. Good omen? You better believe it baby!

Go Canucks Go!

One of the more thought out posts I've ever seen, kudos for that. I agree with you on the most part but holy *insert expletive here*, I'm nervous. Part of me still thinks winning in the lockout year will give other teams/supporters/media a chance to say, sure we won the cup, but only cos it was exceptional circumstances....having said that, screw it - YEH, I'M FEELIN' IT!

Playoffs start on my birthday (Aussie time) and my awesomely tacky neon Canucks light has come back to life after almost a year of not working. Good omen? You better believe it baby!

Go Canucks Go!

IF the three Division winners advance(I don't anticipate upsets in the west, this year), then the conf will have aligned rather nicely for Van. Second round, the #4/5 winner would square off with Chicago, so only 1 team(beaten/bruised?) advances from 3 formidable, speedy & sizeable opponents in StL, LA & Chi.

This path enables Van to stay in their time zone. It's a very possible outcome, in ousting SJ, they move on to another Calif rival. All the Cal teams have strong points, but exploitable weaknesses, as well. If Van actually brings their top form, I'm rather pleased with the conf seedings.

Should each of the top three seeds win in the first round we would have the Ducks in the second round with Chicago facing the Blues or LA. The way I see it, if Chicago makes it to the western final they'll likely be the beat up team. You never know how playoffs will pan out but I don't mind the Sharks and Ducks being in our way. I really didn't want to open against LA or Detroit. I would have preferred the Blues to either of them. I really think Detroit is the biggest wild card in the west.

IF the three Division winners advance(I don't anticipate upsets in the west, this year), then the conf will have aligned rather nicely for Van. Second round, the #4/5 winner would square off with Chicago, so only 1 team(beaten/bruised?) advances from 3 formidable, speedy & sizeable opponents in StL, LA & Chi.

This path enables Van to stay in their time zone. It's a very possible outcome, in ousting SJ, they move on to another Calif rival. All the Cal teams have strong points, but exploitable weaknesses, as well. If Van actually brings their top form, I'm rather pleased with the conf seedings.

@Baggins, 2 great minds, huh? I've been imagining this Calif-path for a couple weeks now. I agree with you in that Van matches up fairly well with these opponents. I'd say a common denominator is not such a deep D for the Calif-3. Although LA did pick up Regehr, they'll be in tough to advance through their route(especially with how Quick looks).

Historically for Van, most PO-runs come out of nowhere, don't they?

This was definitely a weird season. I mean, on the last game of the season, we rested most of our top players. We never actually did that before. Last year, our top players played. Same in 2011 and 2010. This year, they sit out. We also lost our last game of the season. The last four years we won our last games. Does this mean our playoff woes will also be reversed this year? :bigblush:

While I love the positivity, I'm hearing many of the same things that were being said heading into the first round last year against LA.

Once again I think Canuck Nation's rose-coloured glasses need to be taken off for just a bit and give some credit where credit is due. The Sharks are a pretty good team, finishing only two points behind us while playing in the tougher division and after selling off a couple of players who've played key roles for them for many years. Plus they were 3 - 0 against us this year.

They're still fast, big and physical, so let's not start writing about stars aligning just yet. Invariably we all end up very disappointed.

While I love the positivity, I'm hearing many of the same things that were being said heading into the first round last year against LA.

Once again I think Canuck Nation's rose-coloured glasses need to be taken off for just a bit and give some credit where credit is due. The Sharks are a pretty good team, finishing only two points behind us while playing in the tougher division and after selling off a couple of players who've played key roles for them for many years. Plus they were 3 - 0 against us this year.

They're still fast, big and physical, so let's not start writing about stars aligning just yet. Invariably we all end up very disappointed.

I would agree that the stars have aligned, but only with us playing San Jose, as I think we are better suited to play them; we seem to have their number.

What I'm worried about is our long list of injuries this entire year, esp. Schneids. Our playoff hopes rest on whether he is 100% and Schneideresque. Sorry to all you Lou lovers out there, but there is no chance that Lou takes us deep, it all comes down to the Schneiderman.

If our boys can remain healthy then IMO we have a very good chance at playing some great, stingy post season hockey!

Unfotunately, that's a big IF.

Ever since the 2011 and 2012 playoffs, no one has any reason to believe in "stars aligning".

The Canucks had every single statistic going for them in the 2011 Cup run but blew it.

Then in 2012, the Pittsburgh Penguins were heavy Cup favourites, get booted in the 1st round and the 8th seed almost sweeps their way to the Cup.

If we've learned anything these last 2 seasons it's that any team can win the Cup. I would say of the 16 teams that qualified, you could imagine 12-13 of them hoisting the Cup. Detroit, Minnesota and the Islanders are the few exceptions but you never know, even with them. All it takes is a hot goalie and clutch scoring to win some series.

Guest Dasein

If anything I would argue the Hawks are better than 2010.

Kane and Toews are 3 years older and that much better. Most of their core got better - even Hossa - who seems to defy aging like Selanne is. They are missing the physicality on the bottom 6, but they are a much faster and skilled team than 2010.

Archived