52 replies to this topic

#31 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

One of the more thought out posts I've ever seen, kudos for that. I agree with you on the most part but holy *insert expletive here*, I'm nervous. Part of me still thinks winning in the lockout year will give other teams/supporters/media a chance to say, sure we won the cup, but only cos it was exceptional circumstances....having said that, screw it - YEH, I'M FEELIN' IT!
Playoffs start on my birthday (Aussie time) and my awesomely tacky neon Canucks light has come back to life after almost a year of not working. Good omen? You better believe it baby!
Go Canucks Go!

Yep, and I wouldn't worry about what other fans think. The haters were prepared to demand an Astrix next to our names in 2011 as well due to "being dirty". No matter what the situation is, even if our win cured AIDS and invented cold fusion, the haters would find some way to have a problem with it. Let them whine and look forward to the draft like every year.

Anyway you slice it, our team had a better chance then theirs.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#32 lexluthor

lexluthor

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

If you're a championship team then you don't need the stars to align. You can take on all takers no matter what. If you're unsure about winning against this or that team because they have this or that against your team, then you are not a championship team.

#33 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

going to be a tough series. But i believe the canucks can do this

We goin back to the finals baby
:towel: :towel: :towel:
Posted Image

#34 menace

menace

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

I like our chances when this team plays 60 minutes.

#35 jag

jag

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

I said it before I'll say it again.. I have a strange feelin this is our year to win it all!... with Schnieder we can take hawks... there is no book on him and they had a book on Lu... the rest of our team outplayed hawks the LAST 2 times we played them in the playoffs.

Aslong as we don't have a meltdown game we are going all the way.

#36 PLOGUE

PLOGUE

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

I like our chances when this team plays 60 minutes.

I've seen them do that once in 48 games. A percentage of 0.02% of the games. If the do that in the playoffs we're done.

After taking two games off to end the season it might take them three to realize they have to actually play, not just show up, you know, like last year.
QUOTE (ephysdad @ Oct 26 2008, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or then of course there's always the Ferry

Also,
I'm putting together a list of the criteria to be a "real" Canuck's fan. So far I have this:

1. I cheer for the Canucks, whatever happens.
2. I never say anything bad about the Canucks.
3. I know the difference between "real" fans and posers just by how they post on the CDC or where they sit at GM Place.
4. I wouldn't dream of leaving a game before it ended, even if it meant missing a train, ferry or a threesome with the wife and her hot best friend?
5. I make 10+ posts a day and I have over 10,000 posts on the CDC, so my Canuck "street-cred" is huge. Go away noob!
6. No one F's with me. I train in MMA. I'm really tough. I'll curb stomp yo' donkey.
7. I make a tonne of $$$$.
8. I'm witty.
9. If it meant missing a game, I wouldn't study for a midterm.
10. I roll with a guy who has a wicked car.
11. I like to post "source?" a lot.

#37 guesswhere

guesswhere

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

I don't see it quite so much along these lines. The short season may not have affected the Hawks but most of the teams have been devastated with injuries without the normal time to recoup. If you have quality depth and you are playing teams who don't then the shortened season makes a big difference imo.

Mmm, ok. I obviously couldn't say for sure how much difference that makes, but hopefully you're right.

Edited by guesswhere, 29 April 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#38 guesswhere

guesswhere

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

If you're a championship team then you don't need the stars to align. You can take on all takers no matter what. If you're unsure about winning against this or that team because they have this or that against your team, then you are not a championship team.

Didn't see 2011 the way the rest of us did then?

Or maybe this is a play on the superhero meme. In which case lol.

Edited by guesswhere, 29 April 2013 - 05:31 PM.

#39 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,476 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

we have yet to even play a game and people are talking about the stars aligning?
come on guys...

how is drawing the sharks "stars aligning." they are a tough team with skill. thornton, marleau, pavelski, couture, etc. have the skill so this is going to be no easy task. if we get out of the second round, there is going to be an even harder task.

one game at a time. remember how everyone was looking past the kings last year? look how well that worked.
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#40 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

One of the more thought out posts I've ever seen, kudos for that. I agree with you on the most part but holy *insert expletive here*, I'm nervous. Part of me still thinks winning in the lockout year will give other teams/supporters/media a chance to say, sure we won the cup, but only cos it was exceptional circumstances....having said that, screw it - YEH, I'M FEELIN' IT!
Playoffs start on my birthday (Aussie time) and my awesomely tacky neon Canucks light has come back to life after almost a year of not working. Good omen? You better believe it baby!
Go Canucks Go!

Meh. That just means that we can insult Toronto fans about their team only being able to make the playoffs under "exceptional cricumstances"

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#41 lexluthor

lexluthor

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

Didn't see 2011 the way the rest of us did then?

Or maybe this is a play on the superhero meme. In which case lol.

Your inference that I was talking about the Canucks is incorrect. I'm talking about teams in general.

#42 JelloIce

JelloIce

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:27 AM

While I love the positivity, I'm hearing many of the same things that were being said heading into the first round last year against LA.

Once again I think Canuck Nation's rose-coloured glasses need to be taken off for just a bit and give some credit where credit is due. The Sharks are a pretty good team, finishing only two points behind us while playing in the tougher division and after selling off a couple of players who've played key roles for them for many years. Plus they were 3 - 0 against us this year.

They're still fast, big and physical, so let's not start writing about stars aligning just yet. Invariably we all end up very disappointed.

I actually agree with you here. I don't believe this Sharks series is going to be as easy as many are dreaming it to be. It's going to be either a 6 or 7 game series, no less. If it really does finish quickly, I'd really start questioning whether something deeper is at work this time around.

Ever since the 2011 and 2012 playoffs, no one has any reason to believe in "stars aligning".

The Canucks had every single statistic going for them in the 2011 Cup run but blew it.
Then in 2012, the Pittsburgh Penguins were heavy Cup favourites, get booted in the 1st round and the 8th seed almost sweeps their way to the Cup.

If we've learned anything these last 2 seasons it's that any team can win the Cup. I would say of the 16 teams that qualified, you could imagine 12-13 of them hoisting the Cup. Detroit, Minnesota and the Islanders are the few exceptions but you never know, even with them. All it takes is a hot goalie and clutch scoring to win some series.

Uh...what? Stars aligning =\= Statistics. You could have a perfect score running the perfect roster and fate wouldn't bat an eye when you get sweeped in Round 1.

#43 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

the stars don't matter

but if you believe in that stuff then i think you need to wait until you see who the other opponents are before assuming anything (still another 4 rounds to play... are all of them with good matchups?) SJ might be a good matchup for us, let's at least wait for that one to play out first, they might beat us!

#44 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,418 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

I couldn't have picked better seeding myself IMO. Now I don't think anyone's saying the Sharks will be easy (I'm certainly not). IMO no team that makes the playoffs will be "easy" and the Sharks have a very good, big and skilled team. We will have to PLAY for sure.

But IMO, we do match up fairly well with them and IMO the biggest benefit is the travel. Less wear and tear in the first round means more left in the tank for the second, third and fourth (Gordie willing).

I also LOVE that St. Louis and LA got paired up. I was SOOO hopeful that would happen! Let them beat the crap out of each other and then likely beat the crap out of Chicago (if we assume they win). By the time we see one of those three teams, hopefully they more resemble a hospital wing than a hockey team ::D

Edited by J.R., 30 April 2013 - 09:17 AM.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#45 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

Good read, enjoyed that as I devoured my lunch in the office on a stormy, rainy Winnipeg afternoon.

GO CANUCKS GO!

#46 wendythirteenthrashers

wendythirteenthrashers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

I love that none of the sports pundits besides john garret is picking us to do anything in the playoffs.... Might make a less vitriolic atmosphere around our run.... If we still got 3rd in the west with a fractured lineup and play like we can against la and chi..... I like our chances.....

All those drooling over PITTS right now DIDNT factor in the fact that he just had his first kid roll into the world on Friday.... Time will tell if his game suffers.....

I also love that the blues and la are going to kick the sh!t outta each other...

Edited by wendythirteenthrashers, 30 April 2013 - 10:14 AM.

#47 TigerWilliamsJr

TigerWilliamsJr

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

I donít know about the stars being aligned but if things work out that we get through the Sharks then the Ducks I really think weíre going to be pretty sore and bruised in the WCF vs the Hawks Blues or Kings. I am so nervous about the playoffs because I just want them to win so bad! I honestly feel like I havenít recovered emotionally from the game 7 loss in 2011, I canít imagine how our guys feel. I have invested so many late nights (I live in northern Ontario) and I want to rub it in everyone's face so badly that it's exhausting.

#48 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,322 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

While I love the positivity, I'm hearing many of the same things that were being said heading into the first round last year against LA.

Once again I think Canuck Nation's rose-coloured glasses need to be taken off for just a bit and give some credit where credit is due. The Sharks are a pretty good team, finishing only two points behind us while playing in the tougher division and after selling off a couple of players who've played key roles for them for many years. Plus they were 3 - 0 against us this year.

They're still fast, big and physical, so let's not start writing about stars aligning just yet. Invariably we all end up very disappointed.

Agreed.

Or how about we and the team all realize that playoff luck is made through hard work, consistent effort, and a burning desire to win at all costs, not due to the hockey gods somehow shining down and making it Vancouver's time. This team is owed nothing except a fast exit if they underestimate a very tough Sharks team at all.

From the first drop of the puck the Canucks need to be aggressive and play with the will to win and never let up or defend a lead like they and their coach are prone to do. They need to first WANT to win so badly that losing is not ok or acceptable. Or that playing "real well" is not good enough. That goes double for AV.

#49 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

We'll be fine. They'll never succeed in the playoffs as long as No Show Joe is there. The guy's a cancer.

May be so... but he DID make Jonathon Cheecho a 56 goal scorer... the Sedins took a much better Burrows and made him a 30 goal scorer.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#50 131313

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

In that case the NHL hasn't had a championship team in at least 25 years. The last team I can recall that was that dominant was the Oilers in the 80s and even they fell victim to being outworked by a much inferior team one year. With the salary cap there will probably never be another team in the NHL that can win the cup without some good matchups and good luck.

#51 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,418 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

In that case the NHL hasn't had a championship team in at least 25 years. The last team I can recall that was that dominant was the Oilers in the 80s and even they fell victim to being outworked by a much inferior team one year. With the salary cap there will probably never be another team in the NHL that can win the cup without some good matchups and good luck.

Indeed. You need equal parts: skill, grit, heart, and luck to win one. Having a great team is a good start but you'll need some bounces and luck with the injury bug to win the whole thing.

Precisely why it's laughable that we should fire the GM and coach every year we don't win the chalice :rolleyes:

In this era the best you can hope for is that those guys do everything they can to build a competitive team. The rest is in the players and lady luck's hands.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#52 guesswhere

guesswhere

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

Your inference that I was talking about the Canucks is incorrect. I'm talking about teams in general.

Actually, I think you just confirmed my first understanding was correct.

I didn't mean to infer anything about your intentions towards the Canucks, but just to give a specific example to support my take, along the same lines I now see from other comments above.

Your username does strike me as ironic, though, what with your description of a championship team sounding a bit like something lifted from a superhero storyline.

No offense intended, I just found that humorous, then thought it may have been at least partly intentional.

Edited by guesswhere, 01 May 2013 - 12:54 AM.

#53 cyacry

cyacry

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

If the team gives a full 60min effort, there is no team we can't match up against.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Speculation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.