The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Have the stars aligned?

JelloIce

While I love the positivity, I'm hearing many of the same things that were being said heading into the first round last year against LA.

Once again I think Canuck Nation's rose-coloured glasses need to be taken off for just a bit and give some credit where credit is due. The Sharks are a pretty good team, finishing only two points behind us while playing in the tougher division and after selling off a couple of players who've played key roles for them for many years. Plus they were 3 - 0 against us this year.

They're still fast, big and physical, so let's not start writing about stars aligning just yet. Invariably we all end up very disappointed.

While I love the positivity, I'm hearing many of the same things that were being said heading into the first round last year against LA.

Once again I think Canuck Nation's rose-coloured glasses need to be taken off for just a bit and give some credit where credit is due. The Sharks are a pretty good team, finishing only two points behind us while playing in the tougher division and after selling off a couple of players who've played key roles for them for many years. Plus they were 3 - 0 against us this year.

They're still fast, big and physical, so let's not start writing about stars aligning just yet. Invariably we all end up very disappointed.

I'd say the Kings had the stars align for them last year; faces a Daniel-less Canucks team, then an overachieving Blues team, then a Coyotes team that lacked serious skill and was overly dependent on Smith (I think of the 06-07 Canucks), and finally got their biggest test from a team that was inferior in skill and not physical enough to make up for it.

I don't see getting the Sharks as "Stars aligning", and won't unless we face a team like the Leafs or Sens in the Cup Final.

One of the more thought out posts I've ever seen, kudos for that. I agree with you on the most part but holy *insert expletive here*, I'm nervous. Part of me still thinks winning in the lockout year will give other teams/supporters/media a chance to say, sure we won the cup, but only cos it was exceptional circumstances....having said that, screw it - YEH, I'M FEELIN' IT!

Playoffs start on my birthday (Aussie time) and my awesomely tacky neon Canucks light has come back to life after almost a year of not working. Good omen? You better believe it baby!

Go Canucks Go!

If you're a championship team then you don't need the stars to align. You can take on all takers no matter what. If you're unsure about winning against this or that team because they have this or that against your team, then you are not a championship team.

I said it before I'll say it again.. I have a strange feelin this is our year to win it all!... with Schnieder we can take hawks... there is no book on him and they had a book on Lu... the rest of our team outplayed hawks the LAST 2 times we played them in the playoffs.

Aslong as we don't have a meltdown game we are going all the way.

I don't see it quite so much along these lines. The short season may not have affected the Hawks but most of the teams have been devastated with injuries without the normal time to recoup. If you have quality depth and you are playing teams who don't then the shortened season makes a big difference imo.

If you're a championship team then you don't need the stars to align. You can take on all takers no matter what. If you're unsure about winning against this or that team because they have this or that against your team, then you are not a championship team.

we have yet to even play a game and people are talking about the stars aligning?

come on guys...

how is drawing the sharks "stars aligning." they are a tough team with skill. thornton, marleau, pavelski, couture, etc. have the skill so this is going to be no easy task. if we get out of the second round, there is going to be an even harder task.

one game at a time. remember how everyone was looking past the kings last year? look how well that worked.

One of the more thought out posts I've ever seen, kudos for that. I agree with you on the most part but holy *insert expletive here*, I'm nervous. Part of me still thinks winning in the lockout year will give other teams/supporters/media a chance to say, sure we won the cup, but only cos it was exceptional circumstances....having said that, screw it - YEH, I'M FEELIN' IT!

Playoffs start on my birthday (Aussie time) and my awesomely tacky neon Canucks light has come back to life after almost a year of not working. Good omen? You better believe it baby!

Go Canucks Go!

Archived