Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

Read this article today and found it to he quite eye-opening. Enjoy-

Why the Hart Trophy should go to most outstanding player
Adam Proteau

Over the course of the next few days, the women and men of the Professional Hockey Writers Association will cast ballots that determine the winners of five categories of this season’s NHL Awards. Unfortunately, the integrity of the most prestigious of those categories – the Hart Trophy – has cracks in its foundation. And those cracks have been made by a lawyer’s simultaneous best friend and worst enemy: vague language.

Here’s what I mean: if you go by the strict description laid out for the award, the Hart is supposed to go to “the player judged to be most valuable to his team.” But if you look at the way the general public perceive an MVP award – and the way PHWA members have voted – you arrive at the conclusion the public interprets “value” as “excellence.” And once you realize that, you can’t deny the Hart is, in reality, a Most Outstanding Player award and should officially be redefined as such.

Some of you are already in various degrees of unrest because a most outstanding player award already exists and is named the Ted Lindsay Award (formerly the Lester B. Pearson Award). But why can’t there be two? The Lindsay is for the players and the Hart is for everyone else. In some ways, the Lindsay would be more legitimate to NHL players, because it is voted on by their peers. But if we’re being honest, we have to acknowledge the Hart has more prominence and history to it than does the Lindsay.

And anyway, the voting patterns of the PHWA confirm writers have for decades treated the Hart as a most outstanding player award. To wit: seventy percent of the past 20 Hart winners won the Lindsay/Pearson the same year. Are we supposed to believe that, year-in and year-out, the concept of most valuable is inherently linked to being the most outstanding? Maybe in a couple of those seasons that would be true, but when the result is the same 70 percent of the time, that strongly suggests the Hart voters have spoken and do not see the award as a true MVP honor.

The general public agrees with them. Look around on the Internet and social media and you’ll see people making arguments for Sidney Crosby and Jonathan Toews as the rightful Hart winner this year. Of course, there’s no doubt Crosby and Toews are among the best (if not the best) all-around players on the planet and have had incredible seasons, but they also play on arguably the NHL’s top two teams.

If you took Crosby away from the Penguins – as the injury bug did again on March 30 – would they plummet from the top spot in the Eastern Conference? The proof is right in front of you. By contrast, if you took John Tavares away from the New York Islanders or removed Sergei Bobrovsky from the Columbus Blue Jackets, would those two teams be in playoff position? Most hockey people would say no.

To me, that says they are of greater value to their teams than Toews or Crosby are to Chicago and Pittsburgh respectively. In essence, by sticking with the literal interpretation of most valuable, you are ruling out great players who play on talent-rich teams and will almost always be giving the Hart to a player on a playoff bubble team. That’s punishment for something beyond any player’s control.

However, if the league reclassified the Hart as the award for most outstanding player, Tavares, Crosby, Bobrovsky and Toews all could be included in the debate. Fans and media still would argue about who was the most outstanding, but at least the metric would be the same. At least we’d all be having the same conversation.

Determining the MVP in the post-season is relatively straightforward. Nine times out of 10, the Conn Smythe Trophy is presented to the player central to his team winning a Stanley Cup. There are exceptions when the player on the losing side of the Cup final performs especially well – see Ron Hextall in 1987 or J-S Giguere in 2003 – yet there is a clearly defined group of candidates every year.

Unfortunately, the manner by which the NHL determines its regular season MVP is far different. In making their biggest individual honor about a nebulous concept and not a more inclusive term like excellence, the NHL has allowed semantics to drag down the voting and dilute its results.

“Value” is in the beholder’s eye, but everybody knows what “outstanding” entails. And the sooner the NHL recognizes that adjusting and clarifying the language behind the awards will lead to more accurate results, the better off the voting process, and the Hart itself, will be.

P.s. would have made it look fancier but I'm on iPhone.
Posted Image

#2 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

My vote would be for Tavares.
But if CBJ made the playoffs it should have gone to Bobrovsky.
Posted Image

#3 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,132 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

Bret Hart

#4 Forever&Always1

Forever&Always1

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

If you dig even deeper you will see it doesnt even mean most valuable. Some guys mean so much to their team but may not be having their best season. The TSN panel said they will change it I think to like MOP or something

#5 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

Bobrovsky... Guy went 19-5-3 in his last 27. He won the games he needed to get in the playoffs and it was up to Colorado, not him, to get the team in.

#6 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,493 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

Ovechkin. He really showed how badly the Capitals need him playing well, and he played very well over the course of the season.

KcJJSvD.jpg

Put Gino in the ROH

#7 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

Ovechkin, carried his team from last place and into the playoffs
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#8 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,411 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

Ovechkin 23 goals in 22 games to end the season.

Subbancopy.jpg

#9 MikeyBoy44

MikeyBoy44

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

Based on "most valuable to his team" ovechkin rang a bell before bobs did. I would like to think that Washington is in the run for first draft pick if he doesn't show up. Not to take anything away from bobrovsky but ovechkin was able to accomplish a bit more for his team.
Posted Image

#10 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,730 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

Tavares

"What players need is the right kind of strength and power. That includes learning to understand that leverage and positioning can be just as important as raw strength when it comes to winning battles in the game. It's more about timing and athleticism --and avoiding injury--than it is about how much you can bench press. I don't know how many times I've seen a guy with the physique of a defensive end line up a guy half his size, only to bounce off when he connects. Sure, there is room in the game for big guys who can throw their weight around. But for the most part, players are smart enough to see them coming--and strong enough to protect the puck when they arrive. There are trainers out there who know how to devlop hockey-specific strength--though a trainer can help only if a player follows the program. All too often, I've seen players sign up with the best trainer, but not show up for their workouts and never to reap the benefits."

Bobby Orr - ORR MY STORY Viking 2013

#11 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,109 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

Ovechkin. He carried his team at the end to the playoffs.

Second would probably be Crosby.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#12 MikeyBoy44

MikeyBoy44

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

Ovechkin. He carried his team at the end to the playoffs.

Second would probably be Crosby.

Crosby's a great player don't get me wrong but the penguins did just fine without him.
Posted Image

#13 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,215 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

Ovechkin without a doubt. A goal per game in the last half of the season is absolutely unheard of. 23 in 23. He pretty much single-handedly dragged his crappy team from the Eastern Conference cellar to 3rd.

Give Ribiero and Greene credit, but this was all Ovi.

Crosby should win the Ted Lindsay, but he's got a great supporting cast so really isn't that important to Pittsburgh. They just keep rolling without him anyway.

Tavares definately deserves a vote, but the Islanders actually have a pretty decent team. NYI - Tavares > WSH - Ovechkin this season.
Posted Image

#14 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

Ovechkin without a doubt. A goal per game in the last half of the season is absolutely unheard of. 23 in 23. He pretty much single-handedly dragged his crappy team from the Eastern Conference cellar to 3rd.

Give Ribiero and Greene credit, but this was all Ovi.

Crosby should win the Ted Lindsay, but he's got a great supporting cast so really isn't that important to Pittsburgh. They just keep rolling without him anyway.

Tavares definately deserves a vote, but the Islanders actually have a pretty decent team. NYI - Tavares > WSH - Ovechkin this season.

Greene plays for the LA Kings.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#15 Van_City123

Van_City123

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

John Tavares. Without him the isles dont make the playoffs.

negufo.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck for the awesome sig!

#16 Henrik Kesler

Henrik Kesler

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

Ovechkin with an honorable mention to Tavares.

#17 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:37 AM

Ovi, he put the team on his back and carried to the playoffs. Tavares as the runner up.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,384 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:46 AM

Good article. I've always thought about the wording of the current description. I actually made a topic about this a couple of years back.

The Selke is similar. People judge for offensive ability as well as defensive ability in the Selke, when the description says nothing of needing offensive ability.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#19 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

Tavares, ovechkin or datsyuk
Posted Image

#20 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

John Tavares. Without him the isles dont make the playoffs.

This. They have no chance without Tavares.
Posted Image

#21 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,428 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

It goes to an outstanding player right?

Martin St.Louis. In my mind he played lights out. If not for him his team will be last place.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#22 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,010 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

They should just make 2 awards, MVP, and Most outstanding player

My vote for this year would be Tavares. Ovi did what Perry did. Whereas Tavares was good all season.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#23 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,384 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

They should just make 2 awards, MVP, and Most outstanding player

My vote for this year would be Tavares. Ovi did what Perry did. Whereas Tavares was good all season.

The idea is that there kind of is. Or should be considering the descriptions of the awards. The Lindsay should be the Most Outstanding Player and the Hart, the MVP. Unfortunately, the Hart tends to me awarded to the most outstanding player.

14ndb35.jpg

#24 a Fool

a Fool

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

AO gets it. I don't even like him, but he was a straight up beast carrying his team into the playoffs. Second up Tavares, then Toews imo.

#25 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,010 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

The idea is that there kind of is. Or should be considering the descriptions of the awards. The Lindsay should be the Most Outstanding Player and the Hart, the MVP. Unfortunately, the Hart tends to me awarded to the most outstanding player.

Agree 100% with this. Time for them to change it.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#26 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:58 PM

Oh, thought of another one. Kadri. He was scoring and doing everything for the Leafs when no one else was. They finally got him in the NHL and it payed immediate dividends, he dominated at times. The Leafs finally got some secondary scoring outside of Kessel and Lupul. Grabovski and Kulemin just didn't cut it.

Hate away.
Posted Image

#27 MikeyBoy44

MikeyBoy44

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:14 AM

Isnt the Lindsay most outstanding as voted by his peers?
Posted Image

#28 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,386 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

If Bobrovsky made the playoffs, I would have said him, but since they didn't my vote is for Ovie.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#29 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,384 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

Isnt the Lindsay most outstanding as voted by his peers?

Yup. By the Players' Association.

14ndb35.jpg

#30 Twilight Sparkle

Twilight Sparkle

Lizardshifting Shape

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,499 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

something trivial but i miss the lester b pearson award name. sounded so classy

Oh, thought of another one. Kadri. He was scoring and doing everything for the Leafs when no one else was. They finally got him in the NHL and it payed immediate dividends, he dominated at times. The Leafs finally got some secondary scoring outside of Kessel and Lupul. Grabovski and Kulemin just didn't cut it.

Hate away.

i agree. he pretty one of the main reasons why the leafs made the playoffs-- coupled in with a much better coach in randy carlyle, who actually knows how to use his players (anything is an upgrade over wilson)

Edited by Olias, 02 May 2013 - 01:27 PM.

Posted Image

who was fitted with collar and chain

who was given a pat on the back

who was breaking away from the pack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.