The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Guinness record holder dies tragically while repeating stunt

-Vintage Canuck-

A civilian that runs into a burning building to rescue people is a hero. They went above and beyond their duty.

A person who is paid to run into a burning building to rescue people is a person doing their job. I would instead call them noble or courageous for taking on that risky job, but what they are doing is exactly what they signed up for and thus within their duty.

Words like hero and tragic get thrown around too much, and it sucks because they lose their true meaning. I am sorry that guy died while hair-lining but I don't think it's tragic, that's all I meant.

Is it really a record if you're the only one stupid enough to do something. Will this become an Olympic event. Guinness should be embarrassed to even come off interested in this. This kind of thing is variety show filler at best.

Well I guess it just depends on your definition of 'hero':

In this case I would consider the deeds committed by the firefighter to be ordinary to him. Whatever, I dont mean disrespect to firefighters (I was one). Let's not hijack the thread.

A civilian that runs into a burning building to rescue people is a hero. They went above and beyond their duty.

A person who is paid to run into a burning building to rescue people is a person doing their job. I would instead call them noble or courageous for taking on that risky job, but what they are doing is exactly what they signed up for and thus within their duty.

Words like hero and tragic get thrown around too much, and it sucks because they lose their true meaning. I am sorry that guy died while hair-lining but I don't think it's tragic, that's all I meant.

So let's say a police officer sacrifices his/her life in order to save many more. He/she wouldn't be considered a hero in your books, since their job is to serve/protect?

And also it's not ordinary for firefighters to run into buildings on the verge of collapsing after being struck by an airplane, since you want to be so technical.

Firemen get a lot of respect in society because what they do requires strength, courage, and resolve. The things they do at work are things normal civilians could never dream of accomplishing, but for them it's just another day at the office. It is not extraordinary to them, but extraordinary to us. If a civilian off the street donned a helmet and jacket on 9/11 and helped out it would be fair to call them a hero, because they surpassed the level of contribution expected from them (which would be nothing).

So if the other firemen who have training and experience saving people from burning buildings are heroes, what is a civilian called? A superhero? If you are going to say 'well, why can't they both just be called heroes?' I disagree with you. I think that equating the two actions is disrespectful to the civilian.

Archived