Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

AV: "We're going to go out there and kick some butt"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
87 replies to this topic

#61 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

Volpatti on the fourth.... Oh wait now I remember we lost him for nothing..

Only Canucks fans would care about losing a run of the mill fourth liner

#62 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

Thats cool!! Just before the Canucks went on their Stanley cup run a couple of years ago. I ran into 5 of the players (Higgins, Danny, Beiksa, Erhoff, and Hodgson. I saw them standing in front of a hotel downtown and I Shook all of their hands. And I said to Danny. Kick some ass boys! And Danny responded "yup". So the Canucks could kick some ass!! Thanks Vinny!
Life is short, LIVE IT

#63 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,764 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

This is exactly what the team needs going into the playoffs, hopefully it can rub off on everyone else. They seem pissed after a drop-off of a season, and getting embarassed last playoffs.

Hate to say it, but the best team doesn't win the playoffs (or the Canucks would have 2 Cups by now) - it's the hungriest team that wins it. Whoever goes out, is more fired up and wants it more wins it. If the Canucks and coaching staff attack this post-season with that hungry mentality, watch out. Combine hunger with our skill and we're one tough team to beat.

Teams like Chicago and L.A really don't have that hunger after winning a Cup, but the Canucks should be hungrier than ever before this season.

The trouble is the Canucks really didn't seem pissed at getting embarrassed last season in the playoffs nor do they look particularly hungry to prove anyone wrong this season either.

The Hawks and LA both look hungrier to be dominant than the Canucks do by a long shot.

You are absolutely right about hunger, passion, and determination being keys to winning in the playoffs. Unfortunately this team needs to prove that they have those qualities as they have shown absolutely nothing to suggest it this regular season or last year at all.

Hopefully they realize just what it takes to win and that good enough is not good enough come playoff time.

#64 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

The trouble is the Canucks really didn't seem pissed at getting embarrassed last season in the playoffs nor do they look particularly hungry to prove anyone wrong this season either.

The Hawks and LA both look hungrier to be dominant than the Canucks do by a long shot.

You are absolutely right about hunger, passion, and determination being keys to winning in the playoffs. Unfortunately this team needs to prove that they have those qualities as they have shown absolutely nothing to suggest it this regular season or last year at all.

Hopefully they realize just what it takes to win and that good enough is not good enough come playoff time.

Yea I noticed in the interviews on CDC that Kesler and Burrows and company looked like a deer in headlights. They just look nervous more than anything probably due to the immense pressure.

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#65 dajusta

dajusta

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

Don't credit AV for the success of the Canucks. Anyone could replace him and still have a pretty successful run with these guys.

How can you NOT win with a group of, Hart Trophy winner, Art Ross Trophy winner, an identical brother who puts up similar points, 1st round picks like Ryan Kesler and Schneider, a 10 million dollar goal tender in Luongo, some very solid defencemen in Edler, Ohlund, Salo, Erhoff, Hamhuis?

Seriously, anyone can replace AV and still get the job done.
I'm Christian
I won't judge you
No one is perfect
Only through Jesus
Will we find Truth

#66 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79,133 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

Have you been watching objectively?

From a tough defensive position: Alberts over Ballard all day every day.

Oh I forgot something! Alberts is supposed to be our new Rome!

307mg00.jpg

#67 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

Why do you have a love affair with Ballard? Are you just contrarian? The way Alberts has been playing this season, he's definitely better than Rome. Rome made constant terrible reads but had a physical presence. Alberts keeps the physical and ditches the bad reads. It's equally funny that you think the king of bad reads, Keith Ballard is somehow an upgrade over Alberts.

Keswho.jpg

#68 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

We need a 60 minute effort, EVERY game.

#69 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

Yea I noticed in the interviews on CDC that Kesler and Burrows and company looked like a deer in headlights. They just look nervous more than anything probably due to the immense pressure.

This, they look like they have no confidence at all going into the playoffs lol.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#70 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

Easier said than done. Team needs to play with urgency.

YES!! AV FINALLY!!!

1. FINALLY - show some damn emotion to the fans
2. FINALLY LET YOUR PLAYERS KNOW PUBLICLY THAT YOU BELIEVE IN THEM
3. And finally tell the fans your players have the heart of champions - that's what he said. Now its up to them

But this is actually significant in my books. As another mentioned, he has seldom been so forthright, he generally says yes this guy played well, that guy had a great game, this guy needs to do more, be more consistent etc

But he has never said, this team will scratch and claw if they have to. When a player hears that from his coach, they give it.

I dunno, I didn't think this team, this year, maybe its just being a fan and hoping...but I actually think we're gonna be in for a big ride..just my gut

Edited by BuretoMogilny, 30 April 2013 - 12:28 PM.

#71 zduck14

zduck14

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

Ebbett and Alberts OUT
Schroeder and Ballard IN

I'd love to see Ebbett in the press box, but there's nothing wrong with Alberts. His game is tailor made for the playoffs with the way the officials have been calling the game the last month or so. He's a big, tough, stay at home guy that can easily play 12-14 minutes a night and not be a liability. He kind of reminds me of a Derian Hatcher type that uses his size very effectively in his own end and seems to know the limit of what he can get away with on the ice.

P.S. I'm not saying Alberts is as good as Hatcher was, I'm simply comparing playing styles. In fact, the 2011 version of Adam McQuaid may be the best comparison I can come up with. He played 23 of the Bruins 25 games averaging 13 minutes per game and finished with 30 hits, 32 blocked shots and was a +8.

#72 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

Don't credit AV for the success of the Canucks. Anyone could replace him and still have a pretty successful run with these guys.

How can you NOT win with a group of, Hart Trophy winner, Art Ross Trophy winner, an identical brother who puts up similar points, 1st round picks like Ryan Kesler and Schneider, a 10 million dollar goal tender in Luongo, some very solid defencemen in Edler, Ohlund, Salo, Erhoff, Hamhuis?

Posted Image

#73 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

Kick some butt.

Wow, stop the presses... <_<

#74 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

Why do you have a love affair with Ballard? Are you just contrarian? The way Alberts has been playing this season, he's definitely better than Rome. Rome made constant terrible reads but had a physical presence. Alberts keeps the physical and ditches the bad reads. It's equally funny that you think the king of bad reads, Keith Ballard is somehow an upgrade over Alberts.

To be fair Alberts has not played in the past because he was constantly out of position. He has cleaned it up this year surprisingly with barely any chance to do so in the beginning. I think the love affair is just the unfortunatle way things have gone for Ballard. A top 2/top 4 guy when he was brought in. He was made to play on the third line on the wrong side with which he was very uncomfortable. it just sucks when you get a good guy who gets lost in the system.

Edited by Dogbyte, 30 April 2013 - 01:48 PM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#75 N8

N8

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

Baby steps. For AV, that was an uncomfortable amount of excitement, and emotion to show. I sometimes lament not
having a guy like Torts/Bylsma/Babcock behind the bench. I just want to see some passion, it's the playoffs...yell, swear at your players. I just feel sometimes like the players just go through the motions with Alain. Much like Boudreau with the Caps towards the end, I think he has lost the room. I can't get fired up when someone is just smirking behind me and chewing gum.
Posted Image

#76 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

Maybe let him coach and you guys can go back to doing what it is you are paid for.
After all,it is his job,career and paycheque on the line and tomorrow you will be complaining about Cody and Jordan again.

This is the best thing I think I have seen you post. Very rational and positive.
258bdr6.jpg

#77 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

Hey man it's just facts....the mgmt feels more confident with Corrado even - right handed shot aside.

I like Ballard, seems like a good guy but for whatever reasons and a lot of them, his play as a Canuck has been far too inconsistent....

Get on the A-train.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#78 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,334 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

Could you be any more daft????

2sa1qgh.jpg

The Canucks Playoff preparation

#79 Tru_Knyte

Tru_Knyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,355 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#80 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

At least nice to see a little swagger in him. I'm just ready for this to get started already!

#81 ZephyrsSong

ZephyrsSong

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

Looks like AV is in beast mode too?

#82 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 19,127 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

Love seeing AV show that confidence in his group.
He knows what he has in that locker room, on the bench.
This team has what it takes - and is in as good a position to win as they've ever been.
I disagree with people who think his job is on the line however.
The team imo has simply never been bad enough for a long enough period to warrant considering firing AV.

#83 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,334 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

Love seeing AV show that confidence in his group.
He knows what he has in that locker room, on the bench.
This team has what it takes - and is in as good a position to win as they've ever been.
I disagree with people who think his job is on the line however.
The team imo has simply never been bad enough for a long enough period to warrant considering firing AV.

Indeed.

If i am not mistaken, this is the first time in awhile the team has entered the playoffs fully healthy. Of course over the years, some of the injuries incurred were in later games. Kes or Raymond are an example of that.

As Scotty Bowman has said, it was always key that ownership was on the teams side in every way. Keeping the core and coaching/management staff intact for a long time always paid off.

It is how you build contenders.

Edited by BedBeats™2.0, 30 April 2013 - 03:32 PM.

2sa1qgh.jpg

#84 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

Indeed.

If i am not mistaken, this is the first time in awhile the team has entered the playoffs fully healthy. Of course over the years, some of the injuries incurred were in later games. Kes or Raymond are an example of that.

As Scotty Bowman has said, it was always key that ownership was on the teams side in every way. Keeping the core and coaching/management staff intact for a long time always paid off.

It is how you build contenders.

Detroit never had AV as a coach, if its not working at some point you need to move on.

#85 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,334 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

Detroit never had AV as a coach, if its not working at some point you need to move on.

That is besides the point. AV has always been the least of the Canucks problems. Its just a manufactured CDC non-issue.

The point is that when a coach helps build a team, you do not dismiss them because of blips on the radar.

If that was the case, Babs would have been canned mid-season, and Trotz would have been fired yesterday. Same with Krueger, or Laviolette.

Those owners and gms did right by the team retaining the coaches.

If the Canucks get to a Buffalo Sabres point...where mismanagement falls on the coach...then perhaps a change is needed.

2sa1qgh.jpg

#86 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

That is besides the point. AV has always been the least of the Canucks problems. Its just a manufactured CDC non-issue.

The point is that when a coach helps build a team, you do not dismiss them because of blips on the radar.

If that was the case, Babs would have been canned mid-season, and Trotz would have been fired yesterday. Same with Krueger, or Laviolette.

Those owners and gms did right by the team retaining the coaches.

If the Canucks get to a Buffalo Sabres point...where mismanagement falls on the coach...then perhaps a change is needed.

There are a number of things I don't like about AV, but the biggest issue to me is that he he will not ajust his coaching style for the playoffs and he plays with his lines for seemingly no reason. I hope the practice lines were a smoke screen and he learned for last year that the playoffs are not the time to be testing new line ideas.

#87 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,480 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

Posted Image

The difference is, Crow really did get outcoached. The Canucks lost to a Minnesota team that had no business making the conference finals.

For that entire series, the WCE was getting destroyed by the Gaborik line, but Crawford refused to change it up, assuming that Nazzy, Bert and Mo would outscore their lousy defensive play.

It was an easy fix when the games were in Vancity, but Crow refused to change his match-ups. Clouts is no Luongo or Schneider, but the Canucks should have been able to overcome his below average goaltending.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#88 skyfall

skyfall

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

The difference is, Crow really did get outcoached. The Canucks lost to a Minnesota team that had no business making the conference finals.

For that entire series, the WCE was getting destroyed by the Gaborik line, but Crawford refused to change it up, assuming that Nazzy, Bert and Mo would outscore their lousy defensive play.

It was an easy fix when the games were in Vancity, but Crow refused to change his match-ups. Clouts is no Luongo or Schneider, but the Canucks should have been able to overcome his below average goaltending.

Jovanovski was also an idiot for carrying the puck at full speed then turning it over leading to odd man rushes the other way. Crawford never did anything about that.

The funny thing though is that this same pattern I saw when the Canucks played Chicago and got blown out. Sure Chicago has more talent but the 2011 edition which was weaker while the Canucks built depth still blew them out twice.

The frustration is that we've gone so far with AV but can we get any farther? He does a lot of things which make people question him and there are some horrible palyoff results to go with the mostly good regular season results. There are times when I do feel like AV is like Crawford in his stubbornness to not/slowly adapt and prevent weird things from happening like blowouts. However AV is a tamer, over analytical, colder and more uptight version and as a fan if you're going to lose badly I'd rather have a fiery guy instead. Above all though I think the best coach would be one that you can relate to as a fan, plus has right strategy/tactics, gets wins and has confidence. Whenever he talks to the media I feel like he's on the defensive too much which means he knows things could be better. If his record really could speak for itself he should just be a lot more cool and have a lot more swagger than he shows.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.