The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If the Canucks make another early playoff exit, should there be a new Captain?

Hunter56

Now, before I start, I just want to say I am in no way saying Henrik should leave the team. I'm just saying simply get demoted to Alternate Captain.

As we all know Henrik Sedin is an amazing hockey player -- he is after all the all-time franchise leader in points. However, amazing play does not always translate to amazing leadership.

I can't help but think that a lot of the lethargic play the Canucks usually put out (especially recently) has something to do with a lack of leadership on the team. I'm not trying to knock on Henrik, he's awesome, but maybe he's just not the type of captain the Canucks need right now.

For example, last season the team was in a slump near the end of the regular season. When people asked Henrik what was up he said something along the lines of "I'm just coasting and not even really trying until the playoffs start." This is something I don't think a captain should say and... well we all saw what happened in the playoffs last year.

I believe that this is the playoffs where Henrik needs to prove himself as a captain. If they go on a deep playoff run, say I'm wrong, call me an idiot; if they win the cup heck I wouldn't care what you'd call me.

If they go out like last season though there has to at least be consideration for a new captain.

Thoughts?

Ahh crap how did I misspell that... fix'ed lol.

I'm not trying to be negative. I'm just saying a lot is riding on this seasons playoffs. I want Henrik to suceed, but if Luongo has gotten bad repercussions then as captain Henrik needs to be held somewhat accountable also.

Now, before I start, I just want to say I am in no way saying Henrik should leave the team. I'm just saying simply get demoted to Alternate Captain.

As we all know Henrik Sedin is an amazing hockey player -- he is after all the all-time franchise leader in points. However, amazing play does not always translate to amazing leadership.

I can't help but think that a lot of the lethargic play the Canucks usually put out (especially recently) has something to do with a lack of leadership on the team. I'm not trying to knock on Henrik, he's awesome, but maybe he's just not the type of captain the Canucks need right now.

For example, last season the team was in a slump near the end of the regular season. When people asked Henrik what was up he said something along the lines of "I'm just coasting and not even really trying until the playoffs start." This is something I don't think a captain should say and... well we all saw what happened in the playoffs last year.

I believe that this is the playoffs where Henrik needs to prove himself as a captain. If they go on a deep playoff run, say I'm wrong, call me an idiot; if they win the cup heck I wouldn't care what you'd call me.

If they go out like last season though there has to at least be consideration for a new captain.

Thoughts?

Archived