Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 5 votes

If the Canucks make another early playoff exit, should there be a new Captain?

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#61 ilduce39

ilduce39

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

We should look past the captain, coach, gm and owner and look for a new city.

Think about it:
  • We have the worst travel schedule in the NHL.
  • Our rabid fanbase puts players under constant scrutiny and undue pressure.
  • Very difficult to absorb a losing season in order to obtain sweet sweet high draft picks and bonafide stars on ELC contracts.
  • Recent history has shown it is very unlikely to win a Cup based out of Canada.

Vancouver is an amazing place with passionate fans: good enough to win a president's trophy or two, but let's face it.. this city doesn't have what it takes to win a cup. What we need is a re-location to an American city with a moderately interested fanbase. Maybe some place with an NFL or NBA franchise or two and preferably in the Eastern conference. This would help our top players maintain the anonymity to drink and party without consequence that star hockey players crave. No wonder our team is so uptight, can't even have a beer and a babe without being sent to the farm.

Proposal: Vancouver to... Cincinatti?
T-Bone said:
remind them all of Tbone, remeber me for how I lived, not how I was banned
*sig too big

#62 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

If they go out like last season though there has to at least be consideration for a new captain.

Nope.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#63 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

Posted Image

#64 Hunter56

Hunter56

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

At least you put time and thought into your thread and you explained your thought process well. For that, I applaud you.

Still, I feel like Henrik is a good leader and will show it again this year in the playoffs. He amazed me with his determinate leadership last year versus the Kings despite a loss and I expect him to lead well again this year.

Thank you for making a respectable post and good answer!

I know it was going to be a rather controversial topic, but people are acting like I'm some troll who wants to spread negativity and provoke ire from fellow fans. Believe me that was not my intention.

I will admit that this topic was ill-timed, and I do apologize for that, but I couldn't help but notice whenever the team played with no heart or passion. It is the captain's responsibility to lift the team's morale and a lot of the times there is still no drive. It probably isn't Henrik's fault that they don't play with urgency at pivotal times but wearing the C means you're more accountable than others.

Also, there is a very, very, very low chance that there will be a new captain. They would have to do pretty awful this post-season for that to happen, all I asked was should there be a new captain.

Once again, this is all with the utmost respect to Henrik.

#65 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

Thank you for making a respectable post and good answer!

I know it was going to be a rather controversial topic, but people are acting like I'm some troll who wants to spread negativity and provoke ire from fellow fans. Believe me that was not my intention.

I will admit that this topic was ill-timed, and I do apologize for that, but I couldn't help but notice whenever the team played with no heart or passion. It is the captain's responsibility to lift the team's morale and a lot of the times there is still no drive. It probably isn't Henrik's fault that they don't play with urgency at pivotal times but wearing the C means you're more accountable than others.

Also, there is a very, very, very low chance that there will be a new captain. They would have to do pretty awful this post-season for that to happen, all I asked was should there be a new captain.

Once again, this is all with the utmost respect to Henrik.

For what it's worth, the responses probably have more to do with the something you may not be aware of, as opposed to or moreso than the sense that you are 'trolling' or negative - the number of threads that have been posted on CDC questioning Henrik's captaincy.
There have been more than a few - in that case, people's responses tend to be a bit 'shorter'.

Edited by oldnews, 30 April 2013 - 07:15 PM.

#66 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

Yes.

#67 NUCKS4CUP 28

NUCKS4CUP 28

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

That would be 2 early exits in a row with Schneider in net.
Posted Image

Believe in bLUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#68 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

Bring back luongo as captain. That was an incredibly astute decision.

#69 messier's_elbow

messier's_elbow

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

This thread is a joke.

#70 Hunter56

Hunter56

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

For what it's worth, the responses probably have more to do with the something you may not be aware of, as opposed to or moreso than the sense that you are 'trolling' or negative - the number of threads that have been posted on CDC questioning Henrik's captaincy.
There have been more than a few - in that case, people's responses tend to be a bit 'shorter'.

That is true. I was not aware that there were other threads regarding this topic.

This thread is a joke.

I was not aware that I captured your humor.

Edited by Hunter56, 30 April 2013 - 08:33 PM.

#71 messier's_elbow

messier's_elbow

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

I was not aware that there were other threads regarding this topic.

I was not aware that I captured your humor.

Lets strip the C off our all time leading scorer and Hall of famer. Great idea.

#72 NUCKS4CUP 28

NUCKS4CUP 28

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

Lol at the idea that anyone on this team will be considered for the Hall of Fame. The only one who has the best shot is Luongo and even then that will never happen if he doesn't win any hardware.
Posted Image

#73 Hunter56

Hunter56

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

Like I said in my original post: great playing doesn't always translate to great leadership. If a new captain were to be named it would be to shake up this team's personality, not to demean Henrik.

#74 messier's_elbow

messier's_elbow

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

Like I said in my original post: great playing doesn't always translate to great leadership. If a new captain were to be named it would be to shake up this team's personality, not to demean Henrik.

Ok well here are other reasons if that wasnt enough for you. Runs the offence, consistant,never misses games... If he totally bombs in the playoffs then bash but he always gets around a point a game. The only slight that can be made against him is that he got shut down by Chara and we missed maybe our best chance.

#75 Go Faulk Yourself

Go Faulk Yourself

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,314 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

If we lose in first round, AV will strip Henrik of the C and give it to Ebbett.

If we lose in the first round, there will be no AV.

Posted Image

St. Louis Blues STHS GM Posted Image

#76 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

That would be 2 early exits in a row with Schneider in net.

You are such a fool, and your trolling. ;) hope you enjoy NOT cheering for the Canucks.

Just so you know Lou looks like a davie st queen in your aviator. Find a real picture of him if you want your god as your aviator.

Edited by Nino, 30 April 2013 - 09:54 PM.

#77 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

Lol at the idea that anyone on this team will be considered for the Hall of Fame. The only one who has the best shot is Luongo and even then that will never happen if he doesn't win any hardware.

Since 1924 there are only two Hart trophy winners who are not in the Hall of Fame.

Just sayin.

#78 sockeye

sockeye

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

This is the best Canucks team, The winningest coach and the Best GM we ve ever had in Canucks history. If you knew half the pain from the past you'd be greatful for what we have in this team now. What, you expect us to win 24 cups in the next three years or something? Post expansion, it's very difficult to even get to the show, and I'd even look at the Boston win over us with a huge effin * !

Anyway, I'm calling your perspective and your judgement into question, ie: Troll/Stupid

Amen to that.
A Canucks fan since 1968 (before the NHL)

#79 NUCKS4CUP 28

NUCKS4CUP 28

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:19 AM

You are such a fool, and your trolling. ;) hope you enjoy NOT cheering for the Canucks.

Just so you know Lou looks like a davie st queen in your aviator. Find a real picture of him if you want your god as your aviator.

So much mad.
Posted Image

#80 canucks#01fan

canucks#01fan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:31 AM

A new captain is an absurd idea, just awful. Give your head a shake for even thinking about it.
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for avatar

#81 cannucklehead4life

cannucklehead4life

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:34 AM

love the optimism of this thread right before the playoffs
Posted Image

#82 MikeGillis58

MikeGillis58

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,432 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:08 AM

Our captain is fine, we need a new coach and GM if the Canucks make another early playoff exit.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#83 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:13 AM

A captain is really just a letter on a jersey. Fans think the captaincy is a lot more important than it is. It really is just part of the leadership group. If we lose in the first round it will not be because of one of the players but the whole team. It's a team game, every one has to pull their own weight and push each other to do better regardless of what happened the game before (even if it was a huge 5-0, 6-0 win!)
Posted Image

#84 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:16 AM

I didn't even have to read any of the post/go straight to reply and said NOPE

#85 JelloIce

JelloIce

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:43 AM

Make AV the captain...Then fire him.

But seriously,

More like new coach and GM.

This. I don't believe we should be touching the captaincy before the coaching and/or GM positions, unless we feel that the pieces on our team are not good enough, which is absolutely not the case. Changing the captaincy would have an even worse effect.

Foresight, hindsight, you're blind mentally and physically for all it matters.

And all you had to do was wait another night of sleep for Game 1.

#86 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:03 AM

Now, before I start, I just want to say I am in no way saying Henrik should leave the team. I'm just saying simply get demoted to Alternate Captain.

As we all know Henrik Sedin is an amazing hockey player -- he is after all the all-time franchise leader in points. However, amazing play does not always translate to amazing leadership.

I can't help but think that a lot of the lethargic play the Canucks usually put out (especially recently) has something to do with a lack of leadership on the team. I'm not trying to knock on Henrik, he's awesome, but maybe he's just not the type of captain the Canucks need right now.

For example, last season the team was in a slump near the end of the regular season. When people asked Henrik what was up he said something along the lines of "I'm just coasting and not even really trying until the playoffs start." This is something I don't think a captain should say and... well we all saw what happened in the playoffs last year.

I believe that this is the playoffs where Henrik needs to prove himself as a captain. If they go on a deep playoff run, say I'm wrong, call me an idiot; if they win the cup heck I wouldn't care what you'd call me.

If they go out like last season though there has to at least be consideration for a new captain.

Thoughts?

I'd love to see a link to that quote as I've never heard anything like that from Henrik. Aside from that Henrik Is 1 point under a point per game over the last three playoffs. The captain can't "make" others play better nor can he "make" them more talented. People tend to put far too much into what a captain can actually do. There's no magic wands.
Posted Image

#87 infinitecarnage

infinitecarnage

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:17 AM

One of the hardest working, classiest, talented and toughest (iron man streak anyone) players in the league and the history of our team and you @#$%-tards don't think he's captain material?

OH CDC you never fail to amaze me with the depths of idiocy... :picard:

What do you expect? these are the same fans that think Bieksa is a great player
Posted Image

#88 Industrious1

Industrious1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:29 AM

I think the idea to continually strip the captaincy from our team leaders to be a poor decision. Once was enough. Two in a row would make us seem weak and disorganized to the rest of the teams in the Conference/League. On top of all that Henrik is a fine leader and although not vocal, he certainly leads in his own quiet way by showing his example to all.

#89 MikeyBoy44

MikeyBoy44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:54 AM

Is it too late to vote for Rory?
Posted Image

#90 Hunter56

Hunter56

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:22 AM

Alright guys, I've now realized that I made a mistake making this thread at this time. I apologize. It has been a place of negativity right before the playoffs that no one needs and I feel embarassed for being the one that started it.

This might be a better topic in the future when everyones emotions aren't running so high.

I take full responsibility. I'm requesting an admin to lock this thread. I'm not sure exactly how to do that lol hopefully one sees this post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.