Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[PGT] San Jose Sharks 3 @ Vancouver Canucks 1

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
648 replies to this topic

#631 GarthButcher

GarthButcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

If anyone's interested, I'm doing a post-game analysis after every Canucks playoff game on my blog. The address is:

http://yourdailydant....wordpress.com/

Here's the first post for those who don't like following links. I'd love to hear any feedback anyone has. Also, can I start a new topic about this? I'm shy to do that on this board since there are so many topic police that love to flame away. Thanks for reading;)

Dan’s Hockey Blog – Canucks edition

I’ll be doing some daily blogs following Canucks games this post-season. Tune in every other day to read an analysis of the game and its players from a Canucks perspective.

Game 1: Sharks versus Canucks.

The game:

From the start, each team was very physical. Even though the hit statistics were in the Canucks favour, none of those hits were thrown by Raffi Torres, which made the physical battle quite even.

The Sharks grabbed the momentum early, thanks to some uneven officiating that has plagued the league all season (more on this later). They outshot and outchanced the Canucks through the whole first period. Thanks to some excellent goaltending from the Canucks backup…*ahem* one Roberto Luongo…the score remained tied through the 1.

The Canucks came out gunning in the 2nd, and actually picked up some momentum following some good physical play. They kept the offensive pressure on, and were unlucky to come out without more than one goal, hitting the crossbar more than once. Sharks came back on a phantom call against Kassian, and the score was all tied up.

But the Canucks team that started the 1st, reared its ugly head again in the third. With very little energy and jump, they allowed the Sharks to put in a workman like period, mostly dumping and chasing and created chances that led to goals against. There was almost no offensive pressure from the nucks. Mostly just shots from the perimeter, and back and forth play.

The Canucks will have to come with the effort they showed in the 2ndfor a whole 60 minutes (a problem that they’ve had all year) next game to make a difference in the series. They need some offensive pressure. They need some jump. And they need to play a strong team game. The team looked like a bunch of mismatched pieces at times tonight, with some players making some strong runs with little support and little synergy. That has to change.

The Players

There were some stars, some average players, and some disappointments in the first game.

Stars:

Burrows: Always effective. Makes smart plays. Sound defensively. Great drives to the net at times. Such a dependable, great, underrated player.

Bieksa: Aggressive, mean streak, pushing hard on every play. He showed great energy, coming ready to play and to lead.

Kassian: Seems to have been “activated” by the coaching staff for the playoffs, which means not so many 4th line shifts. Great physicality, great jump. Looks like a great future player if he can continue to work on his poise and on his hockey I.Q.

Hansen: Great energy, great drive. Another dependable rock along the lines of Burrows. You always know what you’re going to get with Hanson. If he can just work on his finish, he could be a top line player for years to come.

Average performers:

Higgins, Roy, Raymond. Hamhuis, Garrison, Edler, Alberts,

Corrado: Played great for a rookie thrown-in to a big game. Has a great future. Some tentative plays, like shying away along the boards to allow the forward to hold in the puck and create the 2nd goal. Played great compared to expectations, but mediocre for the standard expected of players in the playoffs.

Hank Sedin: Smart player. Needs to be matched with good complimentary players to have success. Perhaps being paired with his brother is not working so well for the first time in years (more on Danny later).

Luongo: Stood on his head in the 1st period. Then allowed at least 1 if not 2 questionable goals. Poor rebound control at times, not the best positioning. But he was not the reason for the loss, and he has done a lot better in such a poor situation than many would. The Canucks put all their eggs in the Schneider basket, and they’d better hope he comes back soon.

Need Improvement:

Kesler – A lot of this has to do with expectations. Fans expect the Kesler of 2011, who seems to have destroyed his body (for now at least, fans hope) in the process of playing at a super human level. Overskated some pucks, fell at awkward times, and was just not quite there. Good defensive positioning, but he needs to put up points to justify the 2nd like centre role, and to take pressure off of the Sedins.

Danny Sedin – Looks tentative and shaky. He hesitated on shooting and on battle plays (look at the Couture goal to see how a goalscorer shoots without thinking). Some have suggested that he’s never been the same since the massively cheap headshot he took from Keith last season. All Canucks fans hope that this isn’t the case, but it’s looking questionable at this point. He’s a catalyst for the first line as the pure sniper and trigger man. Without that, the line is ineffective.

Reffing

Calls versus non-calls are a mystery to fans and players alike, it seems. Weise did get his hands up on his opponent, but the two were pushing back and forth. The call on Kassian that led to the Sharks first goal was a complete gift. Then the non-call of holding against Weise by Hannan later in the game, and the hooking call against Hamhuis were all questionable. I don’t think that anyone would argue that the refs were targeting one team or the other. They are just plain inconsistent.

Overall Impressions

A mediocre first game for the nucks. Showed some signs of life in the 2nd, and played a good physical game with some players stepping up. They need a more sustained effort, and they need to play a stronger team game.

Their lines are a mishmash right now. Their strength in 2011 was how well each player and each line knew their roles. That is not the case now, which is something they have to fix if they’re going to be successful. They need some players to round into form and some others to step-up. Most of all, they need to get together as a team.

The 2011 run is an elephant in the room for the team and its fans. It was a great run, and the team has subtracted some players and gained others. The Sharks are a very beatable team, and anything is possible in the playoffs (which is what makes them so exciting). But the Nucks have some things to improve on if they want to see round 2 and beyond.

Posted Image

The immortal Garth...awaiting his place in the ring of honour!

#632 #2 Ohlund

#2 Ohlund

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

I can't believe some people are blaming Luongo. I doubt Schneider would have won either with the pathetic forwards yesterday. Canucks only scored cuz Raffi did it for them.

SCF 2011 vs BOS - reason for losing was lack of scoring
1st rd 2012 vs LA - reason for losing was lack of scoring
1st rd 2013 vs SJ - ...see a trend????

AV's plan is to hope our goalies can play lights out and steal games.

Yup. Hell, Schneider had a 1.31 goals against average in last year's playoffs and still had a losing record.

17 goals for in last 13 playoff games. That's 1.3 per game. Simply embarrassing.

#633 Canucklehead420

Canucklehead420

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

1 Loss = REBUILD, WE SUCK, FIRE AV, EBBETT SUCKS.

1 loss? hardly when this "potent" offence averages 1.46 goals a playoff game over the last 3 years its not just one loss

#634 131313

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

If the Canucks had lost a close, hard fought game because of a couple bad bounces then it would mean nothing more than they need to step it up for game 2. What happened, however, is the top line was completely out played the entire game, the second and third lines were outplayed in the 1st and 3rd, the power play was bad, the penalty kill wasn't good enough, the defense made a couple of major errors, the goalie was very good but not great, and the 4th line was ...well a 4th line. The only bright spot was the Canucks threw lots of hits in the first and second, but the Canucks do not have the size or strength to win be beating the other team into submission like Boston or LA. The Canucks used to win games based on skilled hockey and the league doesn't want skilled hockey any more. It is probably time to build a good squad and hope the NHL doesn't change the rules again just when they are ready for Slapshot 4 (or 5 or 6 or whatever those movies are up to now). And almost time for the Sedins to go back to a league that respects skilled hockey and will treat them like the superstars they are.

#635 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,071 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

If anyone's interested, I'm doing a post-game analysis after every Canucks playoff game on my blog. The address is:

http://yourdailydant....wordpress.com/

Here's the first post for those who don't like following links. I'd love to hear any feedback anyone has. Also, can I start a new topic about this? I'm shy to do that on this board since there are so many topic police that love to flame away. Thanks for reading;)

Dan’s Hockey Blog – Canucks edition

I’ll be doing some daily blogs following Canucks games this post-season. Tune in every other day to read an analysis of the game and its players from a Canucks perspective.

Game 1: Sharks versus Canucks.
The game:

From the start, each team was very physical. Even though the hit statistics were in the Canucks favour, none of those hits were thrown by Raffi Torres, which made the physical battle quite even.
The Sharks grabbed the momentum early, thanks to some uneven officiating that has plagued the league all season (more on this later). They outshot and outchanced the Canucks through the whole first period. Thanks to some excellent goaltending from the Canucks backup…*ahem* one Roberto Luongo…the score remained tied through the 1.
The Canucks came out gunning in the 2nd, and actually picked up some momentum following some good physical play. They kept the offensive pressure on, and were unlucky to come out without more than one goal, hitting the crossbar more than once. Sharks came back on a phantom call against Kassian, and the score was all tied up.
But the Canucks team that started the 1st, reared its ugly head again in the third. With very little energy and jump, they allowed the Sharks to put in a workman like period, mostly dumping and chasing and created chances that led to goals against. There was almost no offensive pressure from the nucks. Mostly just shots from the perimeter, and back and forth play.
The Canucks will have to come with the effort they showed in the 2ndfor a whole 60 minutes (a problem that they’ve had all year) next game to make a difference in the series. They need some offensive pressure. They need some jump. And they need to play a strong team game. The team looked like a bunch of mismatched pieces at times tonight, with some players making some strong runs with little support and little synergy. That has to change.

The Players

There were some stars, some average players, and some disappointments in the first game.
Stars:

Burrows: Always effective. Makes smart plays. Sound defensively. Great drives to the net at times. Such a dependable, great, underrated player.
Bieksa: Aggressive, mean streak, pushing hard on every play. He showed great energy, coming ready to play and to lead.
Kassian: Seems to have been “activated” by the coaching staff for the playoffs, which means not so many 4th line shifts. Great physicality, great jump. Looks like a great future player if he can continue to work on his poise and on his hockey I.Q.
Hansen: Great energy, great drive. Another dependable rock along the lines of Burrows. You always know what you’re going to get with Hanson. If he can just work on his finish, he could be a top line player for years to come.
Average performers:

Higgins, Roy, Raymond. Hamhuis, Garrison, Edler, Alberts,
Corrado: Played great for a rookie thrown-in to a big game. Has a great future. Some tentative plays, like shying away along the boards to allow the forward to hold in the puck and create the 2nd goal. Played great compared to expectations, but mediocre for the standard expected of players in the playoffs.
Hank Sedin: Smart player. Needs to be matched with good complimentary players to have success. Perhaps being paired with his brother is not working so well for the first time in years (more on Danny later).
Luongo: Stood on his head in the 1st period. Then allowed at least 1 if not 2 questionable goals. Poor rebound control at times, not the best positioning. But he was not the reason for the loss, and he has done a lot better in such a poor situation than many would. The Canucks put all their eggs in the Schneider basket, and they’d better hope he comes back soon.

Need Improvement:

Kesler – A lot of this has to do with expectations. Fans expect the Kesler of 2011, who seems to have destroyed his body (for now at least, fans hope) in the process of playing at a super human level. Overskated some pucks, fell at awkward times, and was just not quite there. Good defensive positioning, but he needs to put up points to justify the 2nd like centre role, and to take pressure off of the Sedins.
Danny Sedin – Looks tentative and shaky. He hesitated on shooting and on battle plays (look at the Couture goal to see how a goalscorer shoots without thinking). Some have suggested that he’s never been the same since the massively cheap headshot he took from Keith last season. All Canucks fans hope that this isn’t the case, but it’s looking questionable at this point. He’s a catalyst for the first line as the pure sniper and trigger man. Without that, the line is ineffective.
Reffing

Calls versus non-calls are a mystery to fans and players alike, it seems. Weise did get his hands up on his opponent, but the two were pushing back and forth. The call on Kassian that led to the Sharks first goal was a complete gift. Then the non-call of holding against Weise by Hannan later in the game, and the hooking call against Hamhuis were all questionable. I don’t think that anyone would argue that the refs were targeting one team or the other. They are just plain inconsistent.
Overall Impressions

A mediocre first game for the nucks. Showed some signs of life in the 2nd, and played a good physical game with some players stepping up. They need a more sustained effort, and they need to play a stronger team game.
Their lines are a mishmash right now. Their strength in 2011 was how well each player and each line knew their roles. That is not the case now, which is something they have to fix if they’re going to be successful. They need some players to round into form and some others to step-up. Most of all, they need to get together as a team.
The 2011 run is an elephant in the room for the team and its fans. It was a great run, and the team has subtracted some players and gained others. The Sharks are a very beatable team, and anything is possible in the playoffs (which is what makes them so exciting). But the Nucks have some things to improve on if they want to see round 2 and beyond.

Pretty surprised you didn't mention the sub 50% FO by the Canucks. IMO it dictated the final outcome. The 2011 team controlled the ice with Kesler and Mannie dominating the FO circles. While the Sharks tried a deep forecheck it had middling results. The Canucks were moving up the ice fairly easily. As many hits as they had I would have liked more focus on hitting their d-core more often. I believe the series will be won or lost through physical play. My only change would be putting Sestito in for Ebbett. Canucks aren't losing anything in the FO circle and Sestito and Weise and alternate in the FO where needed. It works with AV having the last change in Van but not in SJ. If AV keeps Roy at 2C and Lapierre at 3C then bring Ballard in for Ebbett and play Weise at 4C. Van has to crash the net and pick up more rebound chances. The Twins are looking for the down low passes and I think teams have developed defences to cut those passing lanes off. Danny had shots last night he had to take but did not.

#636 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,071 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

If the Canucks had lost a close, hard fought game because of a couple bad bounces then it would mean nothing more than they need to step it up for game 2. What happened, however, is the top line was completely out played the entire game, the second and third lines were outplayed in the 1st and 3rd, the power play was bad, the penalty kill wasn't good enough, the defense made a couple of major errors, the goalie was very good but not great, and the 4th line was ...well a 4th line. The only bright spot was the Canucks threw lots of hits in the first and second, but the Canucks do not have the size or strength to win be beating the other team into submission like Boston or LA. The Canucks used to win games based on skilled hockey and the league doesn't want skilled hockey any more. It is probably time to build a good squad and hope the NHL doesn't change the rules again just when they are ready for Slapshot 4 (or 5 or 6 or whatever those movies are up to now). And almost time for the Sedins to go back to a league that respects skilled hockey and will treat them like the superstars they are.

Perhaps there is a skill involved in being able to shut the Twins down? I didn't see any evidence of the Sharks running anyone really. They took their hits when available. They didn't bump Lu at all if I remember correctly.

#637 131313

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

Perhaps there is a skill involved in being able to shut the Twins down? I didn't see any evidence of the Sharks running anyone really. They took their hits when available. They didn't bump Lu at all if I remember correctly.

The twins just look like they have completely given up on the NHL. It is tough to see a league make so much progress after the 2004 lockout in becoming a league based on skilled hockey plays instead of obstruction, hooking, holding and dirty hits. And then see them throw it all away and go back to playing the same crap we saw in the late 90s into the early 2000s.

#638 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,800 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

Sedins-Burrows
Higgins-Roy-Kesler

Load up the top two and hope it works next game, because if that doesn't work then nothing will.

Schroeder third line center with Raymond and Hansen

Lapierre on the fourth.
Posted Image

#639 cbdoubleu

cbdoubleu

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

Just looked like a below-average game from both teams. I'd expect to see a better Canucks, and Sharks team tomorrow. These are two teams in the exact same position, with the same pressure that comes with the 'can't win when it matters' label. Window-closing, must win this series or it's rebuild time, blah blah blah.

Anyways, I had the Canucks going 16-1 to the cup, so I'm not worried.

#640 zejono

zejono

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

I think we have to accept that the Sedins are not built for the playoff environment. Always shut down easily with good defense. Tons

of shots from the outside, never in slot. Always kept in our zone. They are great players, we obviously see that in the season but with

good defense and how physical teams are now I wouldn't be surprised if they have no goals 5 vs 5. It is hard to win when you have

12 million combined that cant score goals.

#641 Men With Friends

Men With Friends

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

First time poster here, and I have a quick question and comment:

1) I agree with AV when he said he wasnt too sure about that call on Kass last night - do you guys agree? I thought it was really weak, and the only reason his arm came anywhere near being high, was because Kass has a good few inches on Couture. Weak call that killed our momentum and gave them a tying goal

2) Man did we get out-thought last night or what! They had a complete read on our break-outs and were able to press us all game long which limited us to simply chipping pucks out of our zone right back to their players who then brought it back in with little resistance. At the other end of the rink, we would get the puck in and they would carry it out way to easily. It seemed evident to me that they knew what was coming and knew how to counter it...in short, it seemed to me that we got out coached

On the bright side, I dont think we can play much worse than we did offensively, so if we can keep them to one goal for most of the game, and improve our time of possession in their end, we should be able to tied this up and move forward from there

#642 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,685 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

First time poster here, and I have a quick question and comment:

1) I agree with AV when he said he wasnt too sure about that call on Kass last night - do you guys agree? I thought it was really weak, and the only reason his arm came anywhere near being high, was because Kass has a good few inches on Couture. Weak call that killed our momentum and gave them a tying goal

2) Man did we get out-thought last night or what! They had a complete read on our break-outs and were able to press us all game long which limited us to simply chipping pucks out of our zone right back to their players who then brought it back in with little resistance. At the other end of the rink, we would get the puck in and they would carry it out way to easily. It seemed evident to me that they knew what was coming and knew how to counter it...in short, it seemed to me that we got out coached

On the bright side, I dont think we can play much worse than we did offensively, so if we can keep them to one goal for most of the game, and improve our time of possession in their end, we should be able to tied this up and move forward from there

1) Call on Kass was weak for sure but the league will protect its stars (unless their name is Sedin) from big bad guys like Kass.

2) AV is a conservative coach who likes his systems and provided they are executed to perfection, he has had success. Unfortunately, if they are not executed perfectly, they can be exploited, especially in the playoffs where the scouting and strategies are better. AV does not like players who take risks on either side of the puck but play it "smart" - behind the net and up the boards or off the glass. Knowing this, other teams can "cheat" with the understanding the Nucks will seldom sneak in behind them or catch them on the pinch.

It is, I believe, AV's conservative approach and utter hatred for giving up odd man rushes that is at least partially responsible for our brutal record of scoring in the playoffs. Teams like CHicago or LA will swarm on theforecheck and have all 3 forwards in deep to force turnovers. AV always has our guys playing 1 forward back. Defensively responsible for sure but 2 forwards seldom can get the puck away from 4 or 5 defenders and when they do, they have noone in position to give it to.

Offensive teams creat theri opportunities by forcing the play, driving the net and taking some calculated offensive chances. You don't see the Nucks dong much of that.

#643 dirk diggler

dirk diggler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

Sky isn't falling. Canucks weren't great. However, they weren't as terrible as some are saying.
Adjustments need to be made. Team needs to be better in certain ways.
The Sharks were solid. They were more opportunistic with their chances.

You sound like AV.
"If I claim to be a wise man it surely means that I don't know..."

#644 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,648 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:01 PM

1 loss? hardly when this "potent" offence averages 1.46 goals a playoff game over the last 3 years its not just one loss

its 1 playoff loss this year doesn't matter what they averaged last year or the year before this is 1 loss this year in the playoffs and people already have pushed the panic button saying if we don't win tomorrow we should rebuild and fire everyone its embarrassing

#645 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

Nicely stated. It's one game in which we played well enough to win.

One team wins the other doesn't. It's still a 7 game series, no need to freak out yet. Although I will say I from what I saw I think we can own these guys if we play it right.

You assume too much. This could very well be a 4 game series if the Canucks dont get their act together starting tomorrow.

#646 ~~~Fin~~~

~~~Fin~~~

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:06 PM

I thought this was the best part of last night's game

Posted Image

Edited by ~~~Fin~~~, 02 May 2013 - 11:06 PM.

Siggy by Tenacious

#647 EvoLu7ioN

EvoLu7ioN

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

In case anyone is wondering, Vegas odds have Vancouver as heavy favorites heading into tomorrow's tilt, as it should be (http://sports.bodog....ockey-lines.jsp)

San Jose is playing at their absolute best right now, Vancouver is playing somewhere between bad and good. We just need to elevate our game that little extra, get some bounces, and all of a sudden this series is tied with San Jose forced to make some changes and Vancouver playing with added confidence and swagger.
Posted Image

#648 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,822 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

Vancouver is playing somewhere between bad and good.

Made me chuckle. I suppose it's an upgrade from playing somewhere between excellent and like crap. ;)
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#649 youngdad

youngdad

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

I was so unimpressed with Dale Weise taking that stupid penalty right off the hop. I get that you are excited about the playoffs and you want to set a physical tone but come on have a little discipline. I am surprised the refs called something so petty, but still Weise gave them something to blow down. It really was a killer. It put us behind the 8-ball to get our offensive chemistry going while giving them a chance to grease the PP within 5 mins of the first. Todd McLellan's first post game words were about how that early PP allowed them to establish some rhythm and get into the series. He loved it.
Lets hope there are no childish "boil-overs" or soft calls tonight. Guess we cant do anything about soft calls, but we certainly can keep our hands to ourselves when its needed.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.