The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Sedins era is Coming to an end

RAMBUTANS

The apathetic, emotionless, old-boys club era needs to come to an end.

This includes Gillis (one of THE most boring personalities I've seen), AV, and the Sedin's.

The last two years have probably been THE most un-exciting hockey I've seen this team play and I firmly believe it comes from the top.

I believe there may be actually something to people in the hockey world I know claiming the Canucks dressing room is one of the most boring in the league.

lol at pass the baton to kesler. what so he can keep shooting high and wide? also couldn't get over the fact he called himself elite when speaking of the matchup between him and joe thornton. what a joke. the guy does not understand he is not a superstar, does not have a good shot, and is only good at working hard, which seems to be lacking from his game as of late.

Honestly we have another year for them to dominate before they take a good pay cut and allow us to begin bringing in younger talent. The one thing in that regard i am excited for and afraid for at the same time is this: Will they play all out next season being a contract year and possibly win us something? Or will they play like usual controlling play but not being enough when it matters?

If the latter happens then I would like to resign them around $4ish million a year so they can retire here. It is not in good taste of management to trade these two regardless of what could come back. ~$4 mil a season and re-tool a new top line and use them as the 1B line.

Also, we are going to struggle with contracts. Too many players with $4+million contracts and too many NTC. Will make any retooling necessary hard to accomplish.

Don't they have no trade clauses? No way Sedins would want to leave Vancouver. And even if they were willing to be traded, they would only do so if they were both traded in a package, and to a contender. What contender can afford that cap hit under the new rules and would be willing to cough up the MAJOR compensation that would be demanded? Especially with their contracts almost up. And there is no way management will let them walk unless they demand a huge pay raise which is not in their nature. The Sedins are not going anywhere. They are going to be in Vancouver for the next 5 years at least, whether you like it or not. (Btw, you should like it.)

Sedins are still a #1 line. Unfortunately Canucks don't have a #2 or #3 line that can ease the scoring pressure off of them. Kesler is good but he has absolutely no chemistry with any of his linemates. And he gets injured way too often because of his playing style. Nucks still have no #3 centre that can shutdown the other teams top line.

MG will have a decision to make. Either ask Sedins to waive their NMC to go to a contender and rebuild with youth. Or re-sign them to a lesser $$ contract. My money's on re-signing them. Because with them, Canucks will make the playoffs every time.

The biggest problem I see is not being able to make a quick transition out of their zone. The Sedins have never been fast, but they used to dominate transition play by use of positioning and use of the stretch pass. The Sedins haven't been able to do that the last two years.

I think there are 3 reasons why the Sedins have come back to PPG players instead of 100+ point players of 2 years ago. 1) the Canucks coaches have asked the forwards to play deeper in their own zone. 2) No defensemen who can consistently make a stretch pass for transition. 3) They have lost a critical half a step and can no longer dump the puck into the corners and win the race to it, leaving them chasing in the offensive zone instead of controlling the puck.

Having said all that, I still think they are great players who can still dominate, just not with the game in and game out consistency that they used to. Let's hope they can put it together in game 2.

They have already peaked 2 years ago. They are actually free-falling. Once the Canucks are bounced out in this SJ series in 4 maybe 5 games, I think management should prepare for life without them, also AV. Time to pass on the baton to Kesler and maybe re-tool with new young guys they could get for the Sedins trade.

aaaaand that means... what? His window was also rapidly closing and then they brought in Shanny, Igor, Fetisov, Murphy and Vernon either during or just before the '96 season. And they also had a younger Lidstrom, Vlad Konstantinov and Slava Koslov. Those Wings teams that Yzerman won cups with was easily better than the 'Nucks of today and in history. Also the coach of the Wings was Bowman during that run.

using Yzerman in your post makes about as much sense as me saying that I have a shot at winning a cup at my age because I'm younger than Ray Bourque when he won his first cup.

The biggest problem I see is not being able to make a quick transition out of their zone. The Sedins have never been fast, but they used to dominate transition play by use of positioning and use of the stretch pass. The Sedins haven't been able to do that the last two years.

I think there are 3 reasons why the Sedins have come back to PPG players instead of 100+ point players of 2 years ago. 1) the Canucks coaches have asked the forwards to play deeper in their own zone. 2) No defensemen who can consistently make a stretch pass for transition. 3) They have lost a critical half a step and can no longer dump the puck into the corners and win the race to it, leaving them chasing in the offensive zone instead of controlling the puck.

Having said all that, I still think they are great players who can still dominate, just not with the game in and game out consistency that they used to. Let's hope they can put it together in game 2.

They have already peaked 2 years ago. They are actually free-falling. Once the Canucks are bounced out in this SJ series in 4 maybe 5 games, I think management should prepare for life without them, also AV. Time to pass on the baton to Kesler and maybe re-tool with new young guys they could get for the Sedins trade.

The Sedins play has declined somewhat,but they are more than capaable of being a determining factor in this series...They are very intelligent hockey players,it's as simple as that.. and that will enable them to play at least three more years.

The idea of trading them is absurd...the ball is essentially in their court.They will play here for as long as they want to (and probably charge less than market value).When they feel they can no longer be effective,they'll go back to Sweden.Along with Trevor Linden,probably the two most classiest individuals ever to put on a Vancouver sweater.

When I think of the Sedins I think of the recent game against Detroit, where Franzen is pounding on Daniel, who holds onto his leg like a little child crying to his mother. Is there some reason these grown men can't defend themselves?

I think the Sedins will remain quality offensive players netting in 70-80 points per season for several years to come, but the team will need to rely on other offensive players -- the Sedins can no longer carry our team offensively.

There needs to be a "changing of the guard" sometime in the very near future. Although Kesler is a very good two-way player, I highly doubt he'll be able to carry the team offensively. We will need to make drastic changes in our offense to stay competitive.

Or, we could always fire AV and rely on our defence and goaltending to try and get us into the playoffs (Nashville, Phoenix, Columbus, yawn).

The Sedins play has declined somewhat,but they are more than capaable of being a determining factor in this series...They are very intelligent hockey players,it's as simple as that.. and that will enable them to play at least three more years.

The idea of trading them is absurd...the ball is essentially in their court.They will play here for as long as they want to (and probably charge less than market value).When they feel they can no longer be effective,they'll go back to Sweden.Along with Trevor Linden,probably the two most classiest individuals ever to put on a Vancouver sweater.

We won't trade them, but we might make them 2nd liners. We would need 1st liners to do this though :/

If we don't win this series we need a huge revamp: AV gone, Raymond gone, Ballard gone, Booth gone, another d-man gone (Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, etc...), another forward gone (Kesler, Roy, Burrows, etc...). This core needs to change if we can't get it done this year.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Archived