The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Split up Sedins for the Playoffs...

Bananas

So you guys would rather continue to play them together as a laughable gimmick in the play-offs, where they have no ability to keep up with the pace and physicality of the play-offs?

The best season in either of their careers, and they dominated one out of four play-off series that year and went MIA for the rest.

Just split them up. The rest of the forwards on the team can't pass (maybe aside from Roy, now, but the only chemistry he has is with a player AV doesn't play him with...), why not divide the passing ability among some players that might actually shoot the puck?

Makes sense, split up the two players with the best chemistry in the nhl, ever. No no and no. They are not that bad. And you realize they are the two best players on the team right? They can keep up with the pace. They are good enough.

I agree, split them up. The team is thin on offense and at this point have nothing to lose. They can stay together for PP's, but that's it. Except for the nostalgic, daydreaming head in the sand weekend fans, anyone who follows this team knows that the twins have slowed down and everyone has their routine figured out. So why not try something different. It's not like we're throwing three or four goals out a game - is it! problem now is convincing hard headed AV.

I dont think its just the Sedins. AV completely bungled up the lines tonight and the Sedins had absolutely no help from any other lines. We need secondary scoring.

Before we try splitting them up, lets try loading up our top 6 or hell even top 9 and see how the Sedins do when they aren't the ONLY focus by the other team. We've seen them play really well in the past when they have secondary help

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Roy Kesler

Raymond Schroeder Kassian

Weise Lappiere Hansen

This line up shouldmake the other team fear our 2nd line as well and their top unit will have to split time between Sedin line and Kesler line. This should open up some more opportunities for them

I agree that without the Sedins, we wont go far and they NEED to step it up in a big way, however, i dont think splitting them up will help us with that. If only just to send a jolt through their system for a couple shifts, but other than that... They play together!

Some people on here have no clue and want to live in a fantasy world with their overly emotional attachment to players.

The Sedin's play was unacceptable and splitting the up is a reasonable option. I personally would have benched them for a game in the regular season but I didn't even bother saying on here because of the freak outs.

This isn't NHL 13, you can't just move players around to balance out the lines because they have high overalls. Chemistry comes before skill in most cases. Look at Higgins and Roy; Higgins may not be the most skilled player on the team, but playing with somebody that compliments his skill set helps him shine. Splitting up the Sedins would hamper both of their perfomances, in turn being detrimental to 2 lines, and not just the 1 line that struggled through one game of a series so far.

It's becoming very evident, year after year, that the Sedins have no place running the show in the play-offs. They are not built for the play-offs. They can't generate any offense. They've been effective in one whole series ever, and that was two years ago against, well... SJS...

I really think their skill needs to be divided throughout some teammates who can keep up the size and energy, because the Sedins can't do either of these things.

Sticking Kassian on that line isn't good enough.

Sedin - Kesler - Roy

Higgins - Sedin - Burrows

Watching the Sedins in the play-offs is becoming nauseating. It makes our top 6 go from looking very solid, to less than mediocre.

The problem with keeping the Sedins together is that they're so one dimensional. When they aren't scoring they don't provide much else. Now that their offensive game is on the decline this problem is only going to be exacerbated. Why people are so averse to splitting them up is beyond me. Both of them are very good players, and while it is undeniable that they are absolute dynamite when they are rolling, the fact is that they aren't always going to be able to do that. Of course they get a pass last year simply because Daniel was injured prior to and for the beginning of the playoffs. But it was unlikely, given a full series, that they would have produced much against a physical LA team. They weren't able to get rolling the year before vs. the Preds, and were absolutely stale vs. the Bruins. Henrik on his own is one of the best playmakers to play the sport of hockey. Daniel is an incredibly talented sniper. Why not split up that skill onto more multitalented lines during a tough series rather than letting them struggle it out together to no avail. If I were to rework last night's lines to accomodate a Sedin split up, I'd love to see a top 6 like:

Roy - Kesler - D. Sedin

Burrows - H. Sedin - Kassian

I'm a huge advocate for splitting the Sedins.

Have been for a while.

(Seems to generate alot of hate though lol)

However the playoffs are not the time to start testing this out.

Should have done this in the season.

To be fair it was a shortened, injury ravaged season.

Doesn't quite make sense to break up your main source of offense.

Their game would become become more well-rounded if they weren't completely reliant on one-another.

Right now its a bit one-dimensional.

If they were able to split successfully, it gives AV more options.

Gives opponents a tougher time matching up.

Plus, its not like their chemistry would suddenly disappear if you put them together again.

Nauseating is a little harsh but they just don't have that savage pedigree to play thru psycho playoff hockey it seems anymore , maybe it's the age, or the injuries, like Danny's Duncan Keith concussion, Dustin Brown pretty much made Henrik irrelevant after that hit and turned the series.

Sedins need to be vikings not hackey sack playing Ikea clerks.

They were like Mason Raymond + Andrew Ebbett out there tonight. invisible.

For years now the fan base has said we need to get bigger and get guys in here that are playoff built,

Love to see Vandermeer , Lain and Gaunce get a shot in this series if we lose next game.

Burrows is the problem.

He's been inconsistent at best with the Sedins this year, and has actually scored more goals-per-game off their line than on. When the Sedins get random small stints with guys like Kassian and Hansen then seem to be bursting out and scoring in bunches. Makes sense to take Burrows off the top line. They were a great 1st line for a couple of years, but it's clear - the Sedins need a fresh change.

No other top line in the NHL has stayed together this long and it's because eventually chemistry runs out and linemates get stale. Everyone needs a fresh start eventually - no line has stayed together for 3 or 4 years.

I'd like to see this to start Game 2:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (this guy is amped up and ready to play, give him an opportunity)

Burrows - Kesler - Higgins

Hansen - Roy - Raymond

Weise - Lapierre - Sestito

If we fail to score 2 or more goals the next game and lose as well, it's time for AV to put all his eggs in the Sedin basket and go all in:

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Raymond - Roy - Hansen

Burrows - Lapierre - Higgins

Weise - Ebbett - Kassian

I couldn't agree more.

I'm sick of this. Two allstar players can't play hockey without each other. No wonder we are easy to coach against.

Sedins = Stale

The problem with keeping the Sedins together is that they're so one dimensional. When they aren't scoring they don't provide much else. Now that their offensive game is on the decline this problem is only going to be exacerbated. Why people are so averse to splitting them up is beyond me. Both of them are very good players, and while it is undeniable that they are absolute dynamite when they are rolling, the fact is that they aren't always going to be able to do that. Of course they get a pass last year simply because Daniel was injured prior to and for the beginning of the playoffs. But it was unlikely, given a full series, that they would have produced much against a physical LA team. They weren't able to get rolling the year before vs. the Preds, and were absolutely stale vs. the Bruins. Henrik on his own is one of the best playmakers to play the sport of hockey. Daniel is an incredibly talented sniper. Why not split up that skill onto more multitalented lines during a tough series rather than letting them struggle it out together to no avail. If I were to rework last night's lines to accomodate a Sedin split up, I'd love to see a top 6 like:

Roy - Kesler - D. Sedin

Burrows - H. Sedin - Kassian

Archived