The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

You definitely don't need protein drinks etc if you are eating well and getting all your nutritional requirements from your meals alone. That said, if you are working out quite hard and on a daily basis, your body definitely needs proper nutrition inorder to recover and continue training effectively afterwards. I guess supplements like protein powders are just a specialized way of making sure your body gets what it needs.

I like to get my nutrients from nutrient dense foods first, and on particularly hard days add something like a protein shake.

A muscle milk in the morning when you don't have a lot of time and one after the gym. 360 calories total, 40 grams of protein. Pretty good deal there.

You definitely don't need protein drinks etc if you are eating well and getting all your nutritional requirements from your meals alone. That said, if you are working out quite hard and on a daily basis, your body definitely needs proper nutrition inorder to recover and continue training effectively afterwards. I guess supplements like protein powders are just a specialized way of making sure your body gets what it needs.

I like to get my nutrients from nutrient dense foods first, and on particularly hard days add something like a protein shake.

its easy getting nutritents from food if you weight less than 170 pounds but once you get to like 200 pounds then supplements become a need

Come on AJ! Stick to it! Once you start seeing tiny results, it will just morivate you to keep going! New membership, next week!

Protein drinks arent really "fancy" its pretty essential if your lifting. Unless your able to get your protein else where in whole foods.

Also there are plenty of apps to track what you eat and to see if you meet your needs for protein, carbs, etc.

Ha, thanks for the encouragement.

The thing is, my "membership" was really a "U-Pass", which I get for $40 as a result of going to UFV. It gets me unlimited bus transit, and unlimited Rec Centre usage for the semester. Pretty sick deal. The problem is, my semester ended, and with it, the U-Pass.

Guest Gumballthechewy

My workout is done in secret on the side mountian side at 1000 meters above sea level. Lifting big rocks, jogging up and down ginormous, steep hills, doing push-ups on the hard ground, stuff like that.

But mostly just wrestling pot bears.

My workout is done in secret on the side mountian side at 1000 meters above sea level. Lifting big rocks, jogging up and down ginormous, steep hills, doing push-ups on the hard ground, stuff like that.

But mostly just wrestling pot bears.

if a workout occurs in the middle of the woods with no one around, has it really happened? :emot-parrot:

• Upvote 1

Guest Gumballthechewy

if a workout occurs in the middle of the woods with no one around, has it really happened? :emot-parrot:

Mayhaps...

Mayhaps nay...

So real important question here...

What keeps you guys motivated? Motivation is my biggest kryptonite so far...

Look at it as one day at a time. Don't think about the week ahead, month ahead. Think about some of the bad days you've had at the gym, whether it be that you were exhausted or had a crappy day in general, and how you got through it. Positive thoughts like -- if I can get through a workout on a bad day then there's absolutely no reason why I can't today and if I cop out then I'm just a wimp. Nobody likes being a wimp.

Then you can always compare yourself to regulars at the gym that are bigger and stronger or about on par with you and challenge yourself to get to where they are or out perform the other guy. Secretly of course. Nobody likes an egotistical asswipe.

i see what i looked like 3 years ago and tell myself i never wanna be that skinny and fragile ever again. Also my hockey playing abilty went from plug to point per game. Also just knowing that you could be a better you, but most importantly it motivated me to quit drinking and i have never been happier.

That body in the mirror that needs to get sexier! That should be enough motivation! You got to just love working out like you love CDC...

Sighhh after putting on 10 pounds, my dress pants are a tad bit too tight and wont close. Damnit squats and leg excercises!

Edited by PlayStation

So I tried using the motivations that you guys suggested, and yet I'm only able to workout for like 20-30min.

Going to the gym is not a problem. It's actually wanting to stay there. I'm not even tired when I leave the gym. Just insanely bored...

So I tried using the motivations that you guys suggested, and yet I'm only able to workout for like 20-30min.

Going to the gym is not a problem. It's actually wanting to stay there. I'm not even tired when I leave the gym. Just insanely bored...

Do you have some music you like? I have a huge playlist I rifle through to get pumped. Also focus on your routine and form. I'm constantly judging my muscle fatigue and pushing myself. Can walk right by someone I know at the gym and not even see they're there, that's how focused I am.

don't you want to get jacked? lol like every single guy out there.

Don't you want to take your shirt off and have girls be like dayuum

:P :P :P :P :P

Isnt' that sufficient? Most guys I know want to get their workouts done as fast as possible and get on with their day.

Other ideas.. Go with someone? Hire a trainer? Have a checklist to work through? Do something other than go to the gym?