The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

What do you guys consider the point of failure? When you can't keep going through your set without doing those "pause" reps?

When I can't get another rep or get stapled in the bottom position, but lately it's been when I can't get another rep without it being an unholy grinder of a rep.

By "pause" reps I assume you mean rest pause reps where you hit so many reps, take a short break then go again.

To me, "pause reps" means the bar stops in the bottom positon for 1-5 seconds and is then pushed back up. Pause benching and pause squats are two of my favorite lifts because they really enforce the fundamentals and you really have to straining with something that is less than a true max.

When I can't get another rep or get stapled in the bottom position, but lately it's been when I can't get another rep without it being an unholy grinder of a rep.

By "pause" reps I assume you mean rest pause reps where you hit so many reps, take a short break then go again.

To me, "pause reps" means the bar stops in the bottom positon for 1-5 seconds and is then pushed back up. Pause benching and pause squats are two of my favorite lifts because they really enforce the fundamentals and you really have to straining with something that is less than a true max.

I'm asking because I don't want to sell myself short. I've been doing those pause reps for a long time now. But only now have I actually thought about it. I mean pause reps by pausing for a few seconds with the bar racked or your arms down by your side, yes. I did shoulder laterals tonight. It was burning to get to 8. I bet if I did those pause reps for a couple seconds I could have got 10. Maybe 12. Those extra few seconds really help. I'm just not sure if you have to continuously keep going or if it's deemed failure the second that continuous motion stops.

y'know what I mean?

I'm asking because I don't want to sell myself short. I've been doing those pause reps for a long time now. But only now have I actually thought about it. I mean pause reps by pausing for a few seconds with the bar racked or your arms down by your side, yes. I did shoulder laterals tonight. It was burning to get to 8. I bet if I did those pause reps for a couple seconds I could have got 10. Maybe 12. Those extra few seconds really help. I'm just not sure if you have to continuously keep going or if it's deemed failure the second that continuous motion stops.

y'know what I mean?

I know what you mean. You're trying to find that line between training really hard but still being smart, and being a huge pu$$y as soon as things get hard in a set. It's something I've also struggled with and have only recently learned how to get past.

I know what you mean. You're trying to find that line between training really hard but still being smart, and being a huge pu$$y as soon as things get hard in a set. It's something I've also struggled with and have only recently learned how to get past.

I do it with real heavy sets too. Like with my heavy bench since I'm back to where I was months ago and I will do 4 reps then pause for a few seconds with the bar racked then do the 5th. I feel it's better to get a few more reps overall than to quit and say "oh well, 4 is good enough."

I do it with real heavy sets too. Like with my heavy bench since I'm back to where I was months ago and I will do 4 reps then pause for a few seconds with the bar racked then do the 5th. I feel it's better to get a few more reps overall than to quit and say "oh well, 4 is good enough."

I agree, you should always be striving to do more work with more weight on the bar...THAT is the key to getting big and strong.

I agree, you should always be striving to do more work with more weight on the bar...THAT is the key to getting big and strong.

How well do you do with higher reps and chest? I do so much low rep training (probably my problem here) that every time I try high reps I get that worn out feeling right on the six rep when I'm going for 8-10-12. Just don't have that pushing endurance. Plus, I feel like I have to drop too much weight from my normal 4-5-6 reps just to get to 10.

How well do you do with higher reps and chest? I do so much low rep training (probably my problem here) that every time I try high reps I get that worn out feeling right on the six rep when I'm going for 8-10-12. Just don't have that pushing endurance. Plus, I feel like I have to drop too much weight from my normal 4-5-6 reps just to get to 10.

Higher rep chest is awful for me. I'm usually good for one all out set of 8-12 then a set where I shoot for half of the previous number after 90 seconds of rest. Having said that, I hate benching so I just want my 1RM to move up, don't care how it happens.

Anyone have a muscle mass gainer that you'd recommend?

I really like precisions big time. Doesn't have many sugars compared to mutant mass. I lowered my body fat percentage without losing any weight because of my muscle mass increase.

BUT I was only able to achieve it because I am doing meal prep.

Also maintaining your gains is really important. Before bed have some cottage cheese or egg whites (slow digesting proteins) with a casein drink.

Higher rep chest is awful for me. I'm usually good for one all out set of 8-12 then a set where I shoot for half of the previous number after 90 seconds of rest. Having said that, I hate benching so I just want my 1RM to move up, don't care how it happens.

Yeah I love increasing that 1 RM but lasting long isn't my thing it seems.. at least I think that's because how I train. Every other muscle group is fine though, just not my chest. Like for example, I did 3 heavy sets incline DB last week then had to drop 70lbs total to get 10 reps for the 4th and 5th set. I don't know if that's normal or what, but that's a huuuuge weight drop it seems..

Um. Mass Fusion I think I use. It works well. Less sugar than Mutant Mass but it's the exact same thing otherwise. Way better than Whey for a couple reasons.. because Whey you can get those big containers that cost you $40 and are gone in a month. Mass Fusion lasts you several months, gives you those extra calories as well, and is about $75.

15lb MF bag vs a 3lb container of Whey.. or however much it weighs. It's not even close. The choice and better deal is obvious here..

Great, this is more of what I was looking for earlier, thanks man.

I really like precisions big time. Doesn't have many sugars compared to mutant mass. I lowered my body fat percentage without losing any weight because of my muscle mass increase.

BUT I was only able to achieve it because I am doing meal prep.

Also maintaining your gains is really important. Before bed have some cottage cheese or egg whites (slow digesting proteins) with a casein drink.

Thats actually my main goal, to gain muscle mass while maintaining my body fat %, or even lowering it.

And although meal prep is a lot of work, I believe its very crucial, I've noticed huge differences when you make change to your diet alone, your workout further complements those changes.

Thanks for your input.

Lol now I'm worried about maintaining gains when I finally get them.

Edited by Danthecanucksfan

Anyone have any tips for staying energized after a morning workout?

Here's my schedule

11:45pm-sleep

8:00am-small breakfast (green shake usually)

8:40am- gym

10:00am- post workout meal/shake

11:00am get to school

usually when it comes time for my first break (1:30pm) I'm exhausted.... and school doesn't end until six

Edited by LeanBeef

Alright so, whenever I do incline dumbbell press, or incline dumbbell flies, I never feel it in my upper chest/pec (please don't reply with there is no such thing as upper or lower chest, just trying give you a better understanding)

I am only trying to look for advice/tips because my upper chest is really lagging behind so I'm trying to focus just on that now till its a bit evened out. Cable flies hit the upper chest, but it doesn't give much of a pump, and zero soreness while dumbbell flies and stuff do, so I don't feel it will be that effective.

Any help?

Here's my schedule

usually when it comes time for my first break (1:30pm) I'm exhausted.... and school doesn't end until six

I had similar schedule a month ago and I also used to get exhausted after 2PM. I changed my schedule. Sometimes, your body is not meant to take so much pressure and you end up being low in energy. I recommend you drink chicken soup and eat white part of eggs everyday. That may give you some more boost to go along a little longer.

Alright so, whenever I do incline dumbbell press, or incline dumbbell flies, I never feel it in my upper chest/pec (please don't reply with there is no such thing as upper or lower chest, just trying give you a better understanding)

I am only trying to look for advice/tips because my upper chest is really lagging behind so I'm trying to focus just on that now till its a bit evened out. Cable flies hit the upper chest, but it doesn't give much of a pump, and zero soreness while dumbbell flies and stuff do, so I don't feel it will be that effective.

Any help?

My suggestion would be to do heavyish (3-5 sets of 5-8) high incline (60 degree angle) bench and then normal incline flies for 4-6 sets of 12-15 if you want to bring up your upper chest.

My suggestion would be to do heavyish (3-5 sets of 5-8) high incline (60 degree angle) bench and then normal incline flies for 4-6 sets of 12-15 if you want to bring up your upper chest.

I feel incline more on my outer/mid chest, I'm thinking because my shoulders do a lot of the work, so inclines not very effective for me.

Here's my schedule

That's why I don't do them. No energy. Plus I've conditioned myself to the point where it would be very tough and pretty unwilling to do it in the morning. Night time is best I think. I finished at 11:45 last night -- which is an hour later than I almost always finish. Come home, eat, shower maybe. Watch a little tv then go to sleep; that sounds a helluva lot better than burning all your energy at the gym in the morning then having your entire day ahead of you.