The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

My workout is kinda the same as yours. I just go till failure, feels better that way imo.

But I have a very very hard time gaining weight. I've been hovering around 125lbs for the past three months, and I've noticed little muscle gain, aside from abs...

How many days do you guys workout a week?

You just have to stick with it. Eat lots of real food -- meals 6x a day. It's really quite simple once you get a firm grasp of it.

I started out at 140 benching 60 and my peak was 210, currently 185, benching 315.

If I can do it, you can do it.

Never understood why people do triceps and chest on the same day.

cause youre already working out triceps during chest so it would be beneficial for overall muscle stimuli.

if youre going for lifting the heaviest weight then it would not be ideal but i go for size

Edited by canucks#01fan

My workout is kinda the same as yours. I just go till failure, feels better that way imo.

But I have a very very hard time gaining weight. I've been hovering around 125lbs for the past three months, and I've noticed little muscle gain, aside from abs...

How many days do you guys workout a week?

Again I do it a bit strange but it's the only way I keep up intensity without getting bored.

I do (2)20-30 min workouts per day, 3 on 1 off.

1-morning after cardio

1-early evening

I work one muscle for the most part per 20-30 min workout until failure.

Alternate 3 exercises with no rest

Example

decline flys

Incline bench

Cable cross over

Then 3 more

Incline flys

Decline bench

Peck deck

Then

Dips

Push-ups

Pull-ups

Seems like a lot but it goes fast, do your best don't worry about weight only form.

If you are just starting a set program might be the way to go.

I did that years ago then slowly moved into this kinda stuff when I saw a mental army guy doing it at the gym. He was in and out in 20 mins and worked 100x harder than me and my 1hr

For protein I like ISO Flex but my needs are different then yours.

You wanna gain WT drink a lot of beer

It's the reason I battle with WT

cause youre already working out triceps during chest so it would be beneficial for overall muscle stimuli.

if youre going for lifting the heaviest weight then it would not be ideal but i go for size

How would training triceps on the same day as chest not be optimal for strength?

Hey guys. Im going to be honest im a complete newb to working out and I joined a gym for the first time on the weekend.

im an active guy. I play a lot of ball hockey and a little ice in the winter. So im not completely iut of shape.

Have a smaller frame of 5'10 165. Basically what id like to do is stick close to this weight but actually have it tone.

Is there any beginner routines anyone would like to suggest.

Hey guys. Im going to be honest im a complete newb to working out and I joined a gym for the first time on the weekend.

im an active guy. I play a lot of  ball hockey and a little ice in the winter. So im not completely iut of shape.

Have a smaller frame of 5'10 165. Basically what id like to do is stick close to this weight but actually have it tone.

Muscle "toning" doesn't actually exist, it's a myth of the fitness guru comunity. Muscle 'tone' is all about having a low enough bodyfat % to actually be able to see the muscle, nothing more, nothing less.

Also, I think you'd do well to try and gain some weight. 5' 10" 165 is awful skinny having been that size myself at one point.

As for a routine, sticking to the basics and maximizing your newb gains (which are fantastic and short lived) would be the best option. I ran this: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs and saw some nice gains with the biggest benefit being I was no longer as strong as a wet paper bag.

The key to the program I linked is adding weight EVERY SESSION because you're a novice and can do such things because by definition, you won't be strong enough to create a stimulus so large that you can't recover from it fully in 24-48 hours.

Muscle "toning" doesn't actually exist, it's a myth of the fitness guru comunity. Muscle 'tone' is all about having a low enough bodyfat % to actually be able to see the muscle, nothing more, nothing less.

Also, I think you'd do well to try and gain some weight. 5' 10" 165 is awful skinny having been that size myself at one point.

As for a routine, sticking to the basics and maximizing your newb gains (which are fantastic and short lived) would be the best option. I ran this: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs and saw some nice gains with the biggest benefit being I was no longer as strong as a wet paper bag.

The key to the program I linked is adding weight EVERY SESSION because you're a novice and can do such things because by definition, you won't be strong enough to create a stimulus so large that you can't recover from it fully in 24-48 hours.

Thanks HK I appreciate your help. If anyone has anything else to add please feel free. Im open to all suggestions.

Honestly if anyone wants a good workout that dosn't involve lifting weights I highly suggest DDP Yoga.

Ordered it because I wanted to try something different and increase my flexibility and it is probably one of the hardest fitness routines I have done.

However, DDP over uses the term " Diamond Cutter " in the DVD's, i know it was his signature move in wrestling but its a little much hahaha

Edited by Martin Frk

What's your diet like?

I don't really have a strict diet. I just keep away from any form of junk foods, and only drink water and juice. I also never over eat.

You just have to stick with it. Eat lots of real food -- meals 6x a day. It's really quite simple once you get a firm grasp of it.

I started out at 140 benching 60 and my peak was 210, currently 185, benching 315.

If I can do it, you can do it.

My upper body strength is pretty pathetic lol. Like seriously it's so bad...

Again I do it a bit strange but it's the only way I keep up intensity without getting bored.

I do (2)20-30 min workouts per day, 3 on 1 off.

1-morning after cardio

1-early evening

I work one muscle for the most part per 20-30 min workout until failure.

Alternate 3 exercises with no rest

Example

decline flys

Incline bench

Cable cross over

Then 3 more

Incline flys

Decline bench

Peck deck

Then

Dips

Push-ups

Pull-ups

Seems like a lot but it goes fast, do your best don't worry about weight only form.

If you are just starting a set program might be the way to go.

I did that years ago then slowly moved into this kinda stuff when I saw a mental army guy doing it at the gym. He was in and out in 20 mins and worked 100x harder than me and my 1hr

For protein I like ISO Flex but my needs are different then yours.

You wanna gain WT drink a lot of beer

It's the reason I battle with WT

But I don't want to gain that kind of WT... I haven't drank alcohol in months.

Am I the only one here that doesn't take any kind of protein shakes/bars and such?

Edited by (>o.o)>

im an active guy. I play a lot of ball hockey and a little ice in the winter. So im not completely iut of shape.

Others have commented on the "toned" thing. But basically to break it down, what you want to do is put on muslce mass and lose fat. There's no secret to it. Just lift often and eat well.

Putting on muscle mass will increase your metabolism. You should see some pretty great gains in 2-3 months.

Just make sure you pick proper weight levels. If you're starting out I'd try and do 3 sets of 12-10-8 reps. You should really be struggling for that last set of 8 reps, if you're not then increase weight. If you can't hold good form and have to cheat, then decrease weight. 3 times a week for an hour at a time should get you some pretty solid newbie gains.

Others have commented on the "toned" thing. But basically to break it down, what you want to do is put on muslce mass and lose fat. There's no secret to it. Just lift often and eat well.

Putting on muscle mass will increase your metabolism. You should see some pretty great gains in 2-3 months.

Just make sure you pick proper weight levels. If you're starting out I'd try and do 3 sets of 12-10-8 reps. You should really be struggling for that last set of 8 reps, if you're not then increase weight. If you can't hold good form and have to cheat, then decrease weight. 3 times a week for an hour at a time should get you some pretty solid newbie gains.

sweet. Heres another newbie question. Does it matter when you do your sets? Like do I finish me sets at a station completely or can I do a set on one machine go to another machine for a set then keep going back and forth until I finish?

sweet. Heres another newbie question. Does it matter when you do your sets? Like do I finish me sets at a station completely or can I do a set on one machine go to another machine for a set then keep going back and forth until I finish?

You can do either, but IMO as a newb you're better off just doing all of your sets from one exercise then moving to the next one.  This is particularly true if you're doing compound lifts (squat, bench, deadlifts) like you should be.  Supersetting and giant setting (doing 3+ exercises consecustively for one set, then repeating) is best saved for isolation movements (curls, flyes, etc) and later in your training career (3+ years into it).

Edited by Henrik Kesler

your triceps would be just as strong, just wouldnt be able to lift as much immediately after doing chest, its just personal preferance i guess.

Maybe, but I think the difference in weight moved would be marginal and practically unimportant if bench strength is the goal and you use tricep work to help keep the bench moving upwards.

You're going to get the best results if you just focus on baseing each workout around one compound workout. The compound workout should be where you put the most effort in and I would not recommend putting in sets of other exercises in between. Puttng exercises between sets is called "supersetting". Personally, I don't superset at all, as if you have extra energy, it should be going into your next set, but others swear by it.

A compound workout is a workout where you work multiple parts of the body. The squat is a compound workout, while a bicep curl, which primarily works the bicep is not. The thing about compound workouts is that they also have an increased risk of injury, so be careful with form.

I don't really have a strict diet. I just keep away from any form of junk foods, and only drink water and juice. I also never over eat.

That's really your only problem I see, keep doing the same workouts except cut out all cardio together if that's in your routine.

Cardio is a great way to lose fat but it also diminishes your muscle gain, and at 125 that's going to play a huge factor.

If you wanna get bigger you have to eat more, I'm guessing you're under or around 10% body fat, so that means you can eat a lot of carbs and not worry about it.

I recommend if you can to get a protein shake, take it within half an hour of when you work out and then just eat everything in sight the rest of the day. Lots of good fats, protein and carbs.

After that the results will speak for themselves.