The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

15 minutes ago, taxi said:

Definitely agree with this. The vast majority of people you see in any kind of fitness media are "enhanced".

In my younger years when I was first getting into weights I had the benefit of being around natural and non natural lifters.  I learned a lot from both.  Interestingly, the guys on  steroids still put in the time. They didn't cheat in the gym.  It came down to goals and the choices made to achieve them.

going to the gym was nearly entirely mental for me anyway.  Exercise in general always has been. I always trained in my own and competed against myself.  I don't see the point in trying to keep up with fitness media.  It's not realistic.

21 minutes ago, riffraff said:

In my younger years when I was first getting into weights I had the benefit of being around natural and non natural lifters.  I learned a lot from both.  Interestingly, the guys on  steroids still put in the time. They didn't cheat in the gym.  It came down to goals and the choices made to achieve them.

going to the gym was nearly entirely mental for me anyway.  Exercise in general always has been. I always trained in my own and competed against myself.  I don't see the point in trying to keep up with fitness media.  It's not realistic.

I'd say, if anything, people on steroids put more time into the gym. It's a drug that gives you a ton of energy and motivation and makes your recovery time zero. People on steroids don't have to worry about over-training either. I've also trained with people who are natural and using. The people on drugs had a huge advantage both aesthetically and in terms of strength.

3 minutes ago, taxi said:

I'd say, if anything, people on steroids put more time into the gym. It's a drug that gives you a ton of energy and motivation and makes your recovery time zero. People on steroids don't have to worry about over-training either. I've also trained with people who are natural and using. The people on drugs had a huge advantage both aesthetically and in terms of strength.

Which of the two had bigger breasts, and smaller testicles?  ^_^. We called those guys "Bitch Balls", and then ran like HELL!

8 minutes ago, taxi said:

I think the aesthetics opinion is subjective.  The roid look never inspired me personally.  And I would comfortably suggest that the ladies aren into it either......more importantly;)

9 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I think the aesthetics opinion is subjective.  The roid look never inspired me personally.  And I would comfortably suggest that the ladies aren into it either......more importantly;)

You can achieve a lot of different looks on roids. Generally, it makes it much easier to get and stay lean, which usually leads to better looks. Overall, I'd say that roids just give you the ability to mold and change the body much easier.

54 minutes ago, taxi said:

You can achieve a lot of different looks on roids. Generally, it makes it much easier to get and stay lean, which usually leads to better looks. Overall, I'd say that roids just give you the ability to mold and change the body much easier.

54 minutes ago, taxi said:

That is def. true.

12 hours ago, taxi said:

Gives you the ability to really mess up your body's chemistry as well. Sometimes permanently.

Honestly, unless your career is on the line, I wouldn't touch the stuff. Not because I'm against it in principal, but the potential for amateurs to really damage their bodies just far outweighs the benefits of having a more aesthetic physique.

In the end, do what you want, just don't get any on me. I've also reserved the right to say "I told you so" (not to you specifically, just those who mess themselves up on steroids)

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

Gives you the ability to really mess up your body's chemistry as well. Sometimes permanently.

Honestly, unless your career is on the line, I wouldn't touch the stuff. Not because I'm against it in principal, but the potential for amateurs to really damage their bodies just far outweighs the benefits of having a more aesthetic physique.

In the end, do what you want, just don't get any on me. I've also reserved the right to say "I told you so" (not to you specifically, just those who mess themselves up on steroids)

Basically I would never do anything willingly that could potentially mess up my man package.

thats crazy.

12 hours ago, LuckyLuciano said:

Clenbuterol is the one I've been interested in when cutting. Any doctors out there that would believe it's for my horse? 

Wouldn't mess around with that either. Plus, I've heard it doesn't work any better than Ephedrine or caffeine pill (also things I won't take). Not sure why people are taking drugs like Clen. It's a drug that helps professional body builders cut from 6 to 4% body fat for very temporary amounts of time. I don't see why an average person training would ever mess around with that.

43 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

I don't use steroids either. The closest things I've taken to enhancements are creatine and whey powders. I don't take those any more either though and rely on whole foods.

You can't argue with the results though. Unfortunately we live in a society obsessed with short term results. You will definitely attract more women on steroids. Also, all the major sports bodies refuse to do anything about blatant steroid use. It'd be very easy to test athletes all year round and hand out lifetime suspensions (which is what should happen to people who take an illegal drug that permanently alters your physique). Instead, the sports bodies turn a blind eye and essentially let their athletes take whatever they want in the off season. 

10 minutes ago, taxi said:

I don't use steroids either. The closest things I've taken to enhancements are creatine and whey powders. I don't take those any more either though and rely on whole foods.

You can't argue with the results though. Unfortunately we live in a society obsessed with short term results. You will definitely attract more women on steroids. 

I've also used whey/casein powder & creatine in the past, but now focus on whole foods. The cost just didn't seem to justify the gains, as I got just as much or more gains eating tons of food, & I've never touched pre-workouts. Coffee works just fine.

There's fine line though for muscle that women find attractive, a "bliss point" if you will. Too much muscle, i.e.. looking like you're on steroids, isn't all that attractive to a lot of women. I've heard from natural guys also that they've noticed a drop in ladies attention after they got to a certain size... if you look like you go to the gym, that's perfect, but if you look like you live in the gym it's a bit of a turn-off.

1 hour ago, falcon45ca said:

I've also used whey/casein powder & creatine in the past, but now focus on whole foods. The cost just didn't seem to justify the gains, as I got just as much or more gains eating tons of food, & I've never touched pre-workouts. Coffee works just fine.

There's fine line though for muscle that women find attractive, a "bliss point" if you will. Too much muscle, i.e.. looking like you're on steroids, isn't all that attractive to a lot of women. I've heard from natural guys also that they've noticed a drop in ladies attention after they got to a certain size... if you look like you go to the gym, that's perfect, but if you look like you live in the gym it's a bit of a turn-off.

Paragraph two I agree with 100%

and has been my experience.  Ive never met a girl/wiman on any level of relationship that has been attracted to an overbuilt looking type.

3 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

Depends on the type of girl obviously. However, there is a definitely a sub-sect of the female population (the kind that frequents bars) that goes for that look. Based on my own personal experience, as much as I made fun of guys who look like Jersey Shore cast members, guys who get juiced up to the "Ronnie" type size get a lot of one night stand scenarios. My friends who were using were all nutjobs, so they weren't the best at maintaining relationships. That's a different story.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

My experience was that the bigger I got, the less attention I got overall, but the attention I did get was from hotter women.  Women get intimidated too.

But regardless, if your goal is to get as big as you want regardless of what anyone thinks, that's okay, you can do that.  If you want to lift for the girls, that's OK too.

Having said that I don't think the average natural lifter is in any danger of looking too freakishly big, especially if they stay lean.

Edited by etsen3

3 hours ago, etsen3 said:

My experience was that the bigger I got, the less attention I got overall, but the attention I did get was from hotter women.  Women get intimidated too.

But regardless, if your goal is to get as big as you want regardless of what anyone thinks, that's okay, you can do that.  If you want to lift for the girls, that's OK too.

Having said that I don't think the average natural lifter is in any danger of looking too freakishly big, especially if they stay lean.

The key there is staying lean. If you look at natural body building competitions with actual testing, the athletes are never all that big. You always here people worried about getting that football look if they work out to much. That only happens if you let your diet go to crap and get fat. There are also a lot of people with "10% body fat" walking around at 15-20. 10% body fat is actually quite difficult to achieve. 

20 minutes ago, taxi said:

The key there is staying lean. If you look at natural body building competitions with actual testing, the athletes are never all that big. You always here people worried about getting that football look if they work out to much. That only happens if you let your diet go to crap and get fat. There are also a lot of people with "10% body fat" walking around at 15-20. 10% body fat is actually quite difficult to achieve. 

Totally. As a mesomorph I find it very difficult to go below 12%.

8 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I believe Evander Kane had the rookie combine record atlike 5-6%

Those measurements are never accurate. Not a chance he was that low, unless he was juicing. At those kind of levels you get seriously negative affects to your ability to perform sports. You would also be visibly a lot more ripped than E. Kane looks.

It should however, be taken into account that the professional sports off-season drug testing is a sham. So it's possible he rolled into a camp coming off a cycle at a very low BF percentage. There is no way, however, that he competed in the NHL for the entire year at 5% body fat and was natural. Looking at current pictures, you can see in his face, that he is nowhere near 5%. At those levels, you begin to see veins visibly sticking out of the neck and going into the jaw.