The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

44 minutes ago, riffraff said:

its interesting you mention new activities as today and really quite some time now I have been looking into martial arts to increase my mobility and flexibility.  I have found an academy on the island here I'm going to contact.  A couple disciplines look very appealing.

i too grow bored with exercise routines.

I plan on lifting weights for most of my life but it's never a bad idea to mix it up. Like just about anything else in life, monotony can lead to boredom. The few people I know who've done crossfit for an appreciable length of time speak highly of it, and for the most part I'd say they haven't succumbed to its cultish ways so I take their opinions with only a small grain of salt. What disciplines of MA are you looking at? If you start taekwondo now you can probably get your black belt by Easter. 

And it sounds like your wife needs to find a new PT...

15 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

The first paragraph basically describes what's drawn me to it. The way I see it, if you've got a good coach you're essentially getting small group personal training every time you go to the gym. I'm looking forward to the improvements in my athleticism. I've also found myself a little bored of weightlifting lately, so even if crossfit only lasts a few months for me it's a deviation from the norm that's found me bored.

I have some reservation about some of the movements in crossfit, that's for sure. I won't be pounding out rep after rep of box jumps for time as I believe that's a great way to get hurt. I'll definitely be s little cautious with Olympic lifting for reps/time too. Maybe some time down the road if I'm feeling confident and comfortable enough with crossfit and it's components I'll look at some competition, like the CanWest games. 

Which gym do you go to? How do you find it? I'd like to pick the brain of somebody who's been doing it for a while now. PM me if you don't mind. 

stay away from crossfit, if you value your own health in the long run man, also your wallet for crying out loud.  Their are some benefits to cross fit, but overall in the long run it's not good of your health.  

20 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

The first paragraph basically describes what's drawn me to it. The way I see it, if you've got a good coach you're essentially getting small group personal training every time you go to the gym. I'm looking forward to the improvements in my athleticism. I've also found myself a little bored of weightlifting lately, so even if crossfit only lasts a few months for me it's a deviation from the norm that's found me bored.

I have some reservation about some of the movements in crossfit, that's for sure. I won't be pounding out rep after rep of box jumps for time as I believe that's a great way to get hurt. I'll definitely be s little cautious with Olympic lifting for reps/time too. Maybe some time down the road if I'm feeling confident and comfortable enough with crossfit and it's components I'll look at some competition, like the CanWest games. 

Which gym do you go to? How do you find it? I'd like to pick the brain of somebody who's been doing it for a while now. PM me if you don't mind. 

My crossfit gym forces you to do step downs now during box jumps. It's the jumping down part that led to the achilles injuries. As far as olympic lifting goes, yes you should never be lifting more than you are totally comfortable with. The majority of people who do the workouts "scale" them. Which means either doing lighter weights or substituting in movements you are more competent at. 

The best advice I can give for picking a gym, is to pick one that is close to your house/work. Giving yourself as few excuses as possible to gym is always the best way to go about it. 

Also, even the CanWest games is largely for athletes with an extreme level of commitment. Unfortunately, there is also a lot of PED use in crossfit. So qualifying for any kind of high level competition is very hard to do. You either have to take the PEDs too or be totally committed. There is the odd genetic freak, who is just good at it though. 

Edited by taxi

3 hours ago, taxi said:

Also, even the CanWest games is largely for athletes with an extreme level of commitment. Unfortunately, there is also a lot of PED use in crossfit. So qualifying for any kind of high level competition is very hard to do. You either have to take the PEDs too or be totally committed. There is the odd genetic freak, who is just good at it though. 

PED's are of course common at the highest level but I don't think steroid use is so rampant at an event like the CanWest games. I have a couple friends who competed in it and can say with absolute certainty that one of them doesn't use any sort of gear and I'm pretty sure the other doesnt either. That said, I'm sure there was more than a few competitors who've done a cycle or two.

Just got back from a month vacation, ate a ton of rich food and hit the booze pretty hard nearly every day.  Gained 7 pounds despite walking an average of 20km a day and doing a few day hikes.  

Going back to the gym again this morning, going to be interesting to see how pathetic I got :lol:

19 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

PED's are of course common at the highest level but I don't think steroid use is so rampant at an event like the CanWest games. I have a couple friends who competed in it and can say with absolute certainty that one of them doesn't use any sort of gear and I'm pretty sure the other doesnt either. That said, I'm sure there was more than a few competitors who've done a cycle or two.

Anyone can do the workouts for the games, but only the top 20 (a few more of there are ties) qualify for the main event of the games. I'd be shocked if many of those athletes aren't on PEDs. We had people from our gym on them who did not qualify.

The team events are easier to qualify for though. 

5 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

anyone try Athlean - X? His actual workout programs?  My gosh I am one week into one his programs and this is the best workout program I've ever done.

anyone else tried it?

I am subbed to him on youtube.

Good $&!#.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Have you guys tried posture training. Stretching. To help improve mobility and flexibility. Nobody wants to be a big buff turd who can barely turn to wipe his own ass or touch his toes.

I briefly discussed with with another poster in this thread whom I have now forgotten.

but yes to your question.  I admit it's a discipline for me to stretch and do posture/mobility exercises.

but the positive is is:  man they work, at least for me.  

I do rotator cuff exercises and I also swim/paddle board a lot.  This summer I'd say I've averaged three days per week paddling.  Your body position combined with the movement is really beneficial to posture I find. When done I notice my stance every time.

for me it's necessary as weight lifting in my younger years and my work career in construction has tightened my chest, front shoulders and front forearms at the elbow.  Let's just say my arms could look straighter lol.

edit

i remember when I was 19-21 I struggled to be able to wash the back of my own shoulders lol.  Zero mobility.

Edited by riffraff

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

very sad.  rip.

that's what steroids will do.  

It is very sad. I remember watching his bigger by the day, where he used steroids/GH to put on about 50lbs in 2 months...it was pretty terrifying to watch. He slimmed down later, but that could not have been good for him.

Reports are stating that his death may have had nothing to do with steroids though, and he died of a drug overdose. Apparently paramedics found crushed white powder and then used an anti-opiate to revive him. So it could have been cocaine laced with Fentanyl. I'm sure all the steroids/GH he took didn't do wonders for his heart though. 

Amazing how many people continue to state that steroids aren't bad for you, but then every wrestler/body builder seems to drop dead around the age of 50.

12 minutes ago, taxi said:

It is very sad. I remember watching his bigger by the day, where he used steroids/GH to put on about 50lbs in 2 months...it was pretty terrifying to watch. He slimmed down later, but that could not have been good for him.

Reports are stating that his death may have had nothing to do with steroids though, and he died of a drug overdose. Apparently paramedics found crushed white powder and then used an anti-opiate to revive him. So it could have been cocaine laced with Fentanyl. I'm sure all the steroids/GH he took didn't do wonders for his heart though. 

Amazing how many people continue to state that steroids aren't bad for you, but then every wrestler/body builder seems to drop dead around the age of 50.

.....or care to resemble a human, even while living.

obviously it's a mental issue.  Nobody can think that is attractive and a healthy lifestyle.