The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

9 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Anybody ever order off of myprotein.com?

Just placed an order after a friend of mine recommended it. Got 11 pounds of protein for $80, including shipping. 

8 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I always order from https://www.canadianprotein.com/

awesome stuff, the ratings on their products is totally legit.  Love it that their weight gainers have so little sugar, just outright awesome stuff and awesome prices.

check it out man.

I’ve come across a few YouTubers that are sponsored by them and they always share their discount codes. Check one their videos and grab the code next purchase and get it even cheaper.

These are the 3 guys I’ve seen share codes on their YouTube videos:

Vitruvian Physique (Canada)

Student-Aesthetics (Netherlands)

Rob Lipsett (Ireland)

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I always order from https://www.canadianprotein.com/

awesome stuff, the ratings on their products is totally legit.  Love it that their weight gainers have so little sugar, just outright awesome stuff and awesome prices.

check it out man.

Wish I'd seen this ~12 hours ago! I've been taking NZ Grass-fed whey for about a year and a half but it's so dam expensive (about $100 for 5 pounds) in stores around here. Myprotein has slightly better prices but they don't offer the grass-fed so I'll definitely be looking into this in the future. CP has a good price on their multivitamin too...

Thank you sir.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Wish I'd seen this ~12 hours ago! I've been taking NZ Grass-fed whey for about a year and a half but it's so dam expensive (about $100 for 5 pounds) in stores around here. Myprotein has slightly better prices but they don't offer the grass-fed so I'll definitely be looking into this in the future. CP has a good price on their multivitamin too...

Thank you sir.

Once I found this place, never looked back.  (shopping at stores for my protein)  me and my bud always order stuff together to get free shipping after 99 bucks, and they are Canadian. 

Product review : absolutely legit.   just look at the ingredients.

whats your feedback on the NZ Grass-fed whey? why are you taking that?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Product review : absolutely legit.   just look at the ingredients.

whats your feedback on the NZ Grass-fed whey? why are you taking that?

What do you use?

I’ve used Diesel protein (I think it’s by perfect nutrition?) in that time. I like the simple ingredient list. The absence of hormones, antibiotics, etc in the cows is nice to me too, better amino acid profile (which isn’t a huge deal if you have a solid diet anyway), and generally the protein is higher quality. It has CLA (benefits of which are disputed but it definitely doesn’t hurt) and some studies claim grass fed whey boosts the immune system too. 

For the slightly greater price I’m happy to spend the money. I don’t buy many supplements (protein, a multi, and creatine from time to time) so I don’t mind spending a bit more on a good protein. 

Lifting weights keeps me sane. Of sound body but particularly of sound mind. It doesn't even have to be a heavy lifting day, but general lifting and lighter weight is sufficient. Something to get the blood going and the muscles moving. Even a few days a week at the most. The act of pushing and pulling iron keeps me well. It's kind of like an addiction, but a good one, it's healthy for you to be at the gym, but not too much at the same time where it is all you do. I was sick with a cold the first week of the new year and missed about a week from the gym and that did not sit well with me at all - I felt old, sluggish, and that I wasn't doing anything productive. Once I came back, I felt like a million dollars

I think the gym is great for anyone feeling down, or under the weather. It's a good thing for you mentally and physically, no doubt. Particularly if it's something you already do from time to time. I hear how people 'don't have time for the gym anymore' and I think it's insane to just quit

With all that said I am going tonight and that makes me happy

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Taking the plunge into shred season early this year..so no more pr attempts till next bulk. 

Lets do thisssss! 

Started on Monday. Is it normal to be sore during a cut? This is my first dedicated cut so I’m not experienced with it. I haven’t changed my workouts, sleep, or activity level otherwise. All that’s changed is my caloric intake. 

53 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Started on Monday. Is it normal to be sore during a cut? This is my first dedicated cut so I’m not experienced with it. I haven’t changed my workouts, sleep, or activity level otherwise. All that’s changed is my caloric intake. 

Recovery will be a bit slower for sure, so yes it’s normal and you may see strength decline a bit. 

Training wise just keep aiming to get stronger or maintain strength if possible.

Last year was my first attempt at a cut, it went okay so this year I’m really hoping for better results.  

1 hour ago, Shift-4 said:

I am quite fond of climbing stairs the next day. Every step a reminder of how much I pushed myself  lol

Some days when I really want to torture myself I’ll do weighted sled pushes and pulls to end the leg workout. I don’t know why but sometimes I love the pain in a strange way. 

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Is the only thing you guys are changing for a cut your caloric intake? Any changes to your reps/sets/types of exercises? More compound over accessory? More accessory over compound?

For myself I stick to heavy compounds, and I like to end with accessory pump work. Eventually when weight loss stalls I’ll add cardio or a few hiit sessions a week. 

My deficit is only 250cals right now, but I’ll eventually max it out at 500cals.

4 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Is the only thing you guys are changing for a cut your caloric intake? Any changes to your reps/sets/types of exercises? More compound over accessory? More accessory over compound?

Heavy compound, good amount of unilateral stuff helps too. HIIT finisher. :ph34r:

Edited by Rough Neck

5 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Pretty much what @HI5 said. I’ve cut volume out a bit and just restricted so far. I haven’t added cardio but have started taking my dog out for a second ~30 minute walk each day which adds a few thousand steps. Eventually I’ll start some interval cardio. 

9 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Bulk - 4-10 reps per set with heavy weight. Focus is on strength. 

Cut - 10-20 reps per set with light weight and focus on perfect form. 

Is it me or are deadlifts and shrugs intertwined and work some of the same muscles? I stopped deadlifting sometime ago for my own well being and that it's just a hobby, I'm not a professional athlete reaping some discernible benefit from them. Seemingly as a consequence my shrug strength has gone down the crapper too.

I joined the gym on Saturday, and have been working out everyday since.  I am going there for 20 minute workouts, and they have Yoga, Pilates, and other classes there. I enjoy the walk/run on the treadmill.  I like running.  After my workout today, I took a nice jog home, all the way to the door.  I kind of get a kick out of myself.  When I get home, I get on my workout gear really fast.  If I don't, I will lollygagg!