The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

19 hours ago, riffraff said:

Every body type is different but squats and deadlifts done wrong are one of if not the most risky exercises for potential injury.

and if you're not seeing abs you need to change your diet or maybe unfortunately it's just not in your genetics.

You should get some training in squats and deadlifts for sure. Once you know how to do them properly, it's actually hard to do them wrong, as the leg position and hip movement will force you into proper position.

Quite frankly if you're lifting weights and not doing squats you are wasting your time.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, taxi said:

You should get some training in squats and deadlifts for sure. Once you know how to do them properly, it's actually hard to do them wrong, as the leg position and hip movement will force you into proper position.

Quite frankly if you're lifting weights and not doing squats you are wasting your time.

100% agree.  I love squats.  Just presenting the fact that squats and deadlifts are risky when correct form is not used.  There is a lot of muscle memory involved.

Unfortunately more people cheat and lift heavier than they should and with the whole cross fit power rah rah trend more folks are basically being dangerous.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

100% agree.  I love squats.  Just presenting the fact that squats and deadlifts are risky when correct form is not used.  There is a lot of muscle memory involved.

Unfortunately more people cheat and lift heavier than they should and with the whole cross fit power rah rah trend more folks are basically being dangerous.

Crossfit was actually where I learned to squat properly. I think a lot of people have misconceptions of what it actually is, as they watch YouTube videos of people doing Crossfit workouts, usually without any training and outside of Crossfit gyms.

It's the gym-bros who are going to lift overly heavy. There are some of those in CrossFit, but plenty at your regular gym too. Everytime I go to the my Steve Nash it's full of guys doing half squats treating the exercise like it's a Leg Press. 

I also don't take CrossFit overly serious and would never consider competing in it. It is good for balancing yourself out if you find yourself in a lifestyle where you're doing just weightlifting though. 

• Upvote 2

I had my assessment today.  I am average in some areas, above in other areas, and below in some.  I'm weak on top, and did not realize that.  I thought it was great to be skinny on top, until I learned I was weak.  I am going to work with a personal trainer.  I have a lot to develop and learn to get into shape.  And I learned today why I did not lose weight in 6 weeks, my body was used to the exercise and calorie intake.  So I am going to learn about all sorts of things - strength training, nutrition, and all sorts of other things.  

10 minutes ago, brilac said:

I had my assessment today.  I am average in some areas, above in other areas, and below in some.  I'm weak on top, and did not realize that.  I thought it was great to be skinny on top, until I learned I was weak.  I am going to work with a personal trainer.  I have a lot to develop and learn to get into shape.  And I learned today why I did not lose weight in 6 weeks, my body was used to the exercise and calorie intake.  So I am going to learn about all sorts of things - strength training, nutrition, and all sorts of other things.  

That's good. Sounds like you met and sustained a certain level, which isn't a bad thing. Now you need help to push you further :)

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎16 at 7:49 AM, taxi said:

I disagree.....some of us cant do squats....in my case a concussion in 2010 has thrown of my balance and I cant do many free weight exercises.  I cant even climb a ladder anymore.

Am I wasting my time at the gym?  I don't think...I have been a member of the same gym for 30 yrs now.

https://www.nickcheadlefitness.com/do-you-need-to-squat/

5 hours ago, brilac said:

No...your body wasn't used to the exercise and calorie intake. 

If you did not lose weight you it is because are eating at maintenance and need to reduce calories.

I would join My Fitness Pal to learn about tracking your calories.

Bodybuilding.com also has a forum you can join and read and ask questions.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms

16 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I disagree.....some of us cant do squats....in my case a concussion in 2010 has thrown of my balance and I cant do many free weight exercises.  I cant even climb a ladder anymore.

Am I wasting my time at the gym?  I don't think...I have been a member of the same gym for 30 yrs now.

https://www.nickcheadlefitness.com/do-you-need-to-squat/

By "wasting time", I meant not optimizing your gym time. If you have a medical condition that prohibits you from doing certain exercises, then unfortunately you won't be able to work out as efficiently as someone who does not have that condition. 

I would obviously never recommend that someone do exercises that are unsafe for them. It's good to see that you aren't letting your concussion get the best of you, head injuries are horrible things. 

4 hours ago, taxi said:

By "wasting time", I meant not optimizing your gym time. If you have a medical condition that prohibits you from doing certain exercises, then unfortunately you won't be able to work out as efficiently as someone who does not have that condition. 

I would obviously never recommend that someone do exercises that are unsafe for them. It's good to see that you aren't letting your concussion get the best of you, head injuries are horrible things. 

Yup....it's my 3rd major concussion also....I will not be getting any better than I am now after almost 8 years.  I am luckier than many people though.  WorkSafe BC sent me to a clinic in Vancouver for 7 weeks.  did nothing for me though.   Some of the patients there had real memory issues to go along with other symptoms.  I had bad headaches for the first year but I have been pretty good since.

I see so many younger kids at the gym who do not work their legs at all.  They care about a big chest or arms and have toothpicks for legs.  I am lucky in that my legs have almost been muscular.

I will be turning 60 in May so the gym is a big must for me.  I have always enjoyed going though so it isn't a hard thing to do.

IMG_0067.JPG

1 minute ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

You like the calf muscles of 20 year old girls....not the first thing I think of on a woman.  To each their own :)

When did I say I liked their calves? Take a peek around Instagram and you’ll see oodles of young girls striking that pose trying to make their legs look better. Wasn’t intended as an insult, simply an observation. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

When did I say I liked their calves? Take a peek around Instagram and you’ll see oodles of young girls striking that pose trying to make their legs look better. Wasn’t intended as an insult, simply an observation. 

No offence taken.....I always thought they want to make their boobs look better.....not legs.

4 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

No offence taken.....I always thought they want to make their boobs look better.....not legs.

Boobs and butts, but they'll also take angle shots of their faces so that they look skinnier.

As a hint, you want the camera looking down on you at angle for your face to look good :P

7 minutes ago, c00kies said:

Boobs and butts, but they'll also take angle shots of their faces so that they look skinnier.

As a hint, you want the camera looking down on you at angle for your face to look good :P

All that does is make my cranium seem even larger than it already is. I look like one of the martians from Mars Attacks. 

• Cheers 1