The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

8 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Kids at the gym driving $80,000 suvs they could never afford themselves. If they worked as hard pumping iron as they do spending dad's money, they would be jacked.

I had a guy the other day ask me if he could store his Burberry jacket (which he made a point of telling me cost $4000) in my locker, because he thought the gym would have quarter lockers like a community center and didn't have a lock himself.  

Like 1) who the hell wears a $4000 jacket to the gym, 2) why are you going to a $16 a month gym if you own a $4000 jacket that you wear casually, and 3) buy yourself your own lock buddy!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Gonna do the SunRun tomorrow.

I have had a flu/head cold for a week and hoping the remaining snot is gone by the morning. I originally was aiming for 52mins or under but if I can get under 55mins, I will be stoked. That might still be a tall order but I'll try to get my mind right and power through this crappy feeling.

Wish me luck.... anyone who has done a race right after a flu, any tips?

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Gonna do the SunRun tomorrow.

I have had a flu/head cold for a week and hoping the remaining snot is gone by the morning. I originally was aiming for 52mins or under but if I can get under 55mins, I will be stoked. That might still be a tall order but I'll try to get my mind right and power through this crappy feeling.

Wish me luck.... anyone who has done a race right after a flu, any tips?

I mean,  like any illness try and get a really good sleep tonight and get the fluids and immune boosters in there.  Have a good meal tonight too.....I dunno I'm pretty old school that way.  

I havent run races after a cold or flu but I run regularly.  10k is my standard go to run and I have done it many times at the onset of a cold as well as near the end.

sweat out the bugs.

most likely the adrenalin will make up for any negative you may feel so enjoy the race and have fun.

have you raced a 10k before?

i have been running 3-4 days a week for a few years but I am running my first race in June.  A half marathon, so for the last month I have stepped up to 4 runs per week, one non impact cardio day, a long run and a rest day.  It's been a challenge which I am enjoying and I have new respect for runners who do longer distances.  Quite a commitment.

Edited by riffraff
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I mean,  like any illness try and get a really good sleep tonight and get the fluids and immune boosters in there.  Have a good meal tonight too.....I dunno I'm pretty old school that way.  

I havent run races after a cold or flu but I run regularly.  10k is my standard go to run and I have done it many times at the onset of a cold as well as near the end.

sweat out the bugs.

most likely the adrenalin will make up for any negative you may feel so enjoy the race and have fun.

have you raced a 10k before?

i have been running 3-4 days a week for a few years but I am running my first race in June.  A half marathon, so for the last month I have stepped up to 4 runs per week, one non impact cardio day, a long run and a rest day.  It's been a challenge which I am enjoying and I have new respect for runners who do longer distances.  Quite a commitment.

Thanks Riff,

Sound advice, I'm doing exactly that....fluids, good food, early to bed etc..

This is my 5th year doing the SunRun. I started after I stopped competing in karate and noticed I was getting a bit soft ( the fear of getting whooped always kept me in good shape :P). I sign up so that I have something to train for.

I have always taken to sports quite well and had success, I'm quite proud of my martial arts days. That being said, running is one thing I've struggled with, I'm consistent, I try hard but I just find it challenging. I think its because there are no short cuts for success...I can't out smart my opponent or rely on a team mate for help. So, I stick at it. I hate not being really good at something. I 'm pretty sure there is a life lesson in there somewhere.

Good for you for taking on a 1/2 marathon. That is awesome! good luck and please post a report after you complete it.

26 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Thanks Riff,

This is my 5th year doing the SunRun. I started after I stopped competing in karate and noticed I was getting a bit soft ( the fear of getting whooped always kept me in good shape :P). I sign up so that I have something to train for.

I have always taken to sports quite well and had success, I'm quite proud of my martial arts days. That being said, running is one thing I've struggled with, I'm consistent, I try hard but I just find it challenging. I think its because there are no short cuts for success...I can't out smart my opponent or rely on a team mate for help. So, I stick at it. I hate not being really good at something. I 'm pretty sure there is a life lesson in there somewhere.

Good for you for taking on a 1/2 marathon. That is awesome! good luck and please post a report after you complete it.

I totally get this.  It's very mental as I am learning.  Some days it's just getting the shoes on.  But once I'm out I'm good.

i don't even like it every time. but the health benefits are good and taking on mental battles is something I've always enjoyed.

i find swimming much harder.  It's so technical.

ill be happy with any time 2 hours or less for my halfer.

Edited by riffraff
  • Cheers 1

Just started working out a few months ago after years of neglect.

Currently doing ...

Push Pull Legs Push Pull (M-F)

Legs / Cardio (S-S when possible).

Most of the time, I can get in 1 hour work out from Monday to Friday.  Weekends are typically busy so not able to work out consistently.

Wondering what exercises I should do on the days.  Using Jefit app to track weights and reps. 

Can't seem to eat more.  Using Muscle pharm protein powder and Cliff bars. So far 1 each day (in addition to my regular meals).

Fitbit says I'm about calorie 2000 in but 2500 out.

Goal:  build muscle and reduce my belly/love handles. :P

Any advice would be most appreciated. 

For those who have taken, or do take, a fat burner (Stimulant or non stimulant) - do you prefer doing morning and lunch dose, morning and afternoon dose, or lunch and afternoon dose?

I've always done morning and before a work out (5pm) but I'm going to experiment with morning and lunch while keeping my workouts to 5pm. 

On 4/21/2018 at 6:15 PM, bishopshodan said:

Thanks Riff,

Some people are naturally better at running than others. People are born with 2 different types of muscle fibres. Some make you good at sprinting/lifting (fast-twitch) and others make you good at long distance running (slow twitch). The people with more of the sprinting/lifting fibres will experience far more physical pain and weakness during aerobic activity. The people with the endurance fibres, generally won't be good lifters. The average person will have a combination of both, but some people fall hard on either extreme.

So I wouldn't beat yourself up too badly if your having trouble adapting to running. It may not be something you are designed for.  

• Upvote 1

Definitely underestimated the amount of time I’d need for a cut. Though it’s been quite successful in the fact I’ve maintained strength and look better. 

It’s  going to take longer than expected and I think I’ll have to incorporate a 1-2 week diet break. 

So far 12.1lbs lost in 10 weeks from a scale perspective and I’d like to think it was all fat/water weight as I don’t feel or look like I’ve lost muscle 

How’s everyone else doing with their cuts/bulks or whatever the goal?

On 2018-04-27 at 12:51 PM, NucksPatsFan said:

For those who have taken, or do take, a fat burner (Stimulant or non stimulant) - do you prefer doing morning and lunch dose, morning and afternoon dose, or lunch and afternoon dose?

I've always done morning and before a work out (5pm) but I'm going to experiment with morning and lunch while keeping my workouts to 5pm. 

I’ve never taken a fat burner really, the general consensus from what I’ve gathered from my research is they don’t really work. 

But from a stimulant standpoint like a pre workout or just a coffee pre workout on days I’m struggling to get in the gym seem to work best for me. 

Curious to see how the fat burner works out for ya! 

Edited by HI5

On 27/04/2018 at 3:46 PM, taxi said:

Some people are naturally better at running than others. People are born with 2 different types of muscle fibres. Some make you good at sprinting/lifting (fast-twitch) and others make you good at long distance running (slow twitch). The people with more of the sprinting/lifting fibres will experience far more physical pain and weakness during aerobic activity. The people with the endurance fibres, generally won't be good lifters. The average person will have a combination of both, but some people fall hard on either extreme.

So I wouldn't beat yourself up too badly if your having trouble adapting to running. It may not be something you are designed for.  

Thanks for the info, makes sense.

I'm pretty sure I lean more on the fast twitch side.

7 hours ago, HI5 said:

Definitely underestimated the amount of time I’d need for a cut. Though it’s been quite successful in the fact I’ve maintained strength and look better. 

It’s  going to take longer than expected and I think I’ll have to incorporate a 1-2 week diet break. 

So far 12.1lbs lost in 10 weeks from a scale perspective and I’d like to think it was all fat/water weight as I don’t feel or look like I’ve lost muscle 

How’s everyone else doing with their cuts/bulks or whatever the goal?

I haven't had time to go to the gym as much as I had hoped a month ago where I really decided to ramp up my health, shoulder started acting up and knees are beat up every week at soccer.  I am hoping to start hitting the gym more and harder in the coming weeks and getting out to do many more bike rides/runs with my newborn and hopefully that will help now that the weather is looking up.

I did change my diet though, about 3.5 weeks into a ketogenic diet and I have lost 20 lbs with a few cheat days in there (went on a 1 night cruise and I got my moneys worth of food).  Since I changed my diet and cut out carbs/sugar, the few cheat days I have I realize I really don't care for the sweetness of sugars anymore or even bread really, they just don't appeal to me as much.  Still miss my pasta mostly though and probably chili but whatever.  The only downside is eating healthy is expensive haha!  I used to get a bag of pasta/sauce and be able to have dinner with lunch leftovers for about $2-3, now that I don't have those cheap foods in my diet, man has the food bill gone up.  Gotta go plant some more seeds and get some more veggies growing.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Russ said:

I haven't had time to go to the gym as much as I had hoped a month ago where I really decided to ramp up my health, shoulder started acting up and knees are beat up every week at soccer.  I am hoping to start hitting the gym more and harder in the coming weeks and getting out to do many more bike rides/runs with my newborn and hopefully that will help now that the weather is looking up.

I did change my diet though, about 3.5 weeks into a ketogenic diet and I have lost 20 lbs with a few cheat days in there (went on a 1 night cruise and I got my moneys worth of food).  Since I changed my diet and cut out carbs/sugar, the few cheat days I have I realize I really don't care for the sweetness of sugars anymore or even bread really, they just don't appeal to me as much.  Still miss my pasta mostly though and probably chili but whatever.  The only downside is eating healthy is expensive haha!  I used to get a bag of pasta/sauce and be able to have dinner with lunch leftovers for about $2-3, now that I don't have those cheap foods in my diet, man has the food bill gone up.  Gotta go plant some more seeds and get some more veggies growing.

You can make delicious keto-friendly chilli.

Also, one of my favorite keto dishes : Cauliflower masha

1 head of cauliflower

2tbsp cream cheese

half cup cheddar cheese

1/4 cup monteray jack cheesea

5 strips bacon

any spices you'd like

1. Bring water to a boil and boil cauliflower for 10 minutes

2. While cauliflower is boiling, cook off 5 strips of bacon and cut into pieces

3. After 10 minutes of boiling, drain water and smash cauliflower in the pot

4. Mix in the cream cheese and continue mashing

5. Mix in the bacon, seasoning and cheddar/jack cheese and mix

Makes about 5-7 portions.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

You can make delicious keto-friendly chilli.

Also, one of my favorite keto dishes : Cauliflower masha

1 head of cauliflower

2tbsp cream cheese

half cup cheddar cheese

1/4 cup monteray jack cheesea

5 strips bacon

any spices you'd like

1. Bring water to a boil and boil cauliflower for 10 minutes

2. While cauliflower is boiling, cook off 5 strips of bacon and cut into pieces

3. After 10 minutes of boiling, drain water and smash cauliflower in the pot

4. Mix in the cream cheese and continue mashing

5. Mix in the bacon, seasoning and cheddar/jack cheese and mix

Makes about 5-7 portions.

Oooo that sounds good!  Hopefully cauliflower doesn't skyrocket like it did at one point last year.

Oh I know theres lots of good chilis out there but beans make the chili!  Actually the best thing my wife made the other day was basically a baked hamburger in a big baking dish.  Meat, cheese, mayo, mustard (I think), pickles, onions all baked one layer ontop of another.  Oh man was that delicious.  

I got to say it was a bit weird going to keto, never really did anything with cheese/butter but those are pretty much staples in the keto diet so to suddenly incorporate them it was definitely a change. 

NucksPatsFan, if you have done keto did you find your appetite almost suppressed?  I used to eat a good 3 hearty meals a day with a snack at night, since I hoped on keto, I have my bacon/eggs in the morning and some reason aren't hungry until 4 in the afternoon as opposed to the 11am that I used to be.

On 4/18/2018 at 3:49 PM, Jägermeister said:

I had a guy the other day ask me if he could store his Burberry jacket (which he made a point of telling me cost $4000) in my locker, because he thought the gym would have quarter lockers like a community center and didn't have a lock himself.  

Like 1) who the hell wears a $4000 jacket to the gym, 2) why are you going to a $16 a month gym if you own a $4000 jacket that you wear casually, and 3) buy yourself your own lock buddy!

That story also suggests that he didn't drive to the gym either, as you'd think he would have stored the jacket in his car. Priorities I guess? But who wears a $4000 jacket on the bus?

3 hours ago, Russ said:

Oooo that sounds good!  Hopefully cauliflower doesn't skyrocket like it did at one point last year.

Oh I know theres lots of good chilis out there but beans make the chili!  Actually the best thing my wife made the other day was basically a baked hamburger in a big baking dish.  Meat, cheese, mayo, mustard (I think), pickles, onions all baked one layer ontop of another.  Oh man was that delicious.  

I got to say it was a bit weird going to keto, never really did anything with cheese/butter but those are pretty much staples in the keto diet so to suddenly incorporate them it was definitely a change. 

NucksPatsFan, if you have done keto did you find your appetite almost suppressed?  I used to eat a good 3 hearty meals a day with a snack at night, since I hoped on keto, I have my bacon/eggs in the morning and some reason aren't hungry until 4 in the afternoon as opposed to the 11am that I used to be.

When I did keto I was working out pretty intensely so I was always eating lol.

But its totally natural for appetite to suppress. Typically people who go on keto are trying to lose excess fat so once your body becomes efficient at burning fat for fuel primarily , your natural stores of fat will provide energy . Also , when you're on keto you're not eating any empty calories , and 1g of fat is 9calories whereas protein and carbs 1g is 4calories so less food goes a longer way .