The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

11 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I enjoy it. 

Alarm at 5:50AM - get out of bed and take ephedrine and caffeine with water, change, get the dog's harness and leash on

6AM - run 4km 

Get home, shower, eat, sit down and watch sportscenter

Work 8-430

5-545 weights

6pm until bed free to do whatever.

I like it because it doesn't interfere with my life. I don't feel like I'm choosing between doing things with friends/family and working out, or giving up time at home to spend hours at the gym. 

But life is gym and gym is life. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2018-06-04 at 12:57 PM, NucksPatsFan said:

I enjoy it. 

Alarm at 5:50AM - get out of bed and take ephedrine and caffeine with water, change, get the dog's harness and leash on

6AM - run 4km 

Work 8-430

5-545 weights

I like it because it doesn't interfere with my life. I don't feel like I'm choosing between doing things with friends/family and working out, or giving up time at home to spend hours at the gym. 

Thanks for sharing your routine. I'm going to try and adopt the morning run  and gym after work routine.The few times I do get out and run  super early,  I find it really sets the tone for the rest of the day and I just feel productive before the day has even started.

The only issue with going to the gym 5-7pm is its ridiculously busy and you can't even get a decent workout in. I usually go an hour before closing but it isn't ideal. 

Are you finding the ephedrine effective? I'm looking for a good pre-workout.

On 04/06/2018 at 12:57 PM, NucksPatsFan said:

I enjoy it. 

6AM - run 4km 

Work 8-430

5-545 weights

Hi,

I've been running for years.

Recently got a wonderful rescue dog, a Blue Heeler cross. 

She's great on her walking harness or collar and has just turned 2yrs old so she shouldn't face any hips issues.

My question is...Do I need to purchase a running harness? Can you recommend one? or will I be ok with just leash to collar since she doesn't pull? the label on her walking harness says don't use for running due to potential rubbing.

Must be getting old. Clearly past my lifting prime and I'm not even 30yrs old. More prone to injury and less prone to glorious gains. Hurt my left side chest/abdomen muscles leg pressing last week meanwhile my squat has stagnated again where this was rarely an issue 5 or so years ago.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Must be getting old. Clearly past my lifting prime and I'm not even 30yrs old. More prone to injury and less prone to glorious gains. Hurt my left side chest/abdomen muscles leg pressing last week meanwhile my squat has stagnated again where this was rarely an issue 5 or so years ago.

Men's physical prime is in early to mid 30's so I doubt it's that. 

14 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Hi,

She's great on her walking harness or collar and has just turned 2yrs old so she shouldn't face any hips issues.

My question is...Do I need to purchase a running harness? Can you recommend one? or will I be ok with just leash to collar since she doesn't pull? the label on her walking harness says don't use for running due to potential rubbing.

Do not use a regular collar.  Use a harness for running.  Can find one at a pet store place.

i also have a cool bike mounted attachment that is spring loaded.  If the dog pulls a bit the bike is not jarred dangerously.  It's great. I can ride my bike with a dog on each side.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Im getting close to 30 and between my wrist and my ankle injuries, man it sucks trying to work out sometimes.  Theres days where it feels great and days where I pick up 30 lbs and my wrist is just like "nope not happening today buddy"

40 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Do not use a regular collar.  Use a harness for running.  Can find one at a pet store place.

i also have a cool bike mounted attachment that is spring loaded.  If the dog pulls a bit the bike is not jarred dangerously.  It's great. I can ride my bike with a dog on each side.

Thanks Riff. I'm been a treadmill runner lately but with the nice weather and lovely dog, I have to get my butt outside.

When are you doing your 1/2 ?

52 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Thanks Riff. I'm been a treadmill runner lately but with the nice weather and lovely dog, I have to get my butt outside.

When are you doing your 1/2 ?

Lol.

ive also tried the dog on the treadmill.....not so much luck there.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Hi,

I don't use a running leash (the ones that go around your waist) as I find holding it in my hand doesn't effect my stride. 

I use this type of harness, so that the force applied is spread throughout the upper body, and not the neck or shoulders directly.

Image result for dog harness

If she hasn't been on runs with you, the first couple will be more "training" runs (ie. these runs are not meant to stop every 2 feet to sniff like normal walks are, they're meant to keep a pace). 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Steve23 said:

Thanks for sharing your routine. I'm going to try and adopt the morning run  and gym after work routine.The few times I do get out and run  super early,  I find it really sets the tone for the rest of the day and I just feel productive before the day has even started.

The only issue with going to the gym 5-7pm is its ridiculously busy and you can't even get a decent workout in. I usually go an hour before closing but it isn't ideal. 

Are you finding the ephedrine effective? I'm looking for a good pre-workout.

I really enjoy the ephedrine + caffeine. My 'low' dosage (24mg + caffeine in morning ; 16mg + caffeine in afternoon) is enough to give me a great energy boost and a calmness of the mind. I will never get to 25mg 3x/day, nor would I want to.

11 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Try switching away from that 5x5 for a little while. I’ve heard of a few people switching to a lighter high rep range for about a month and then reverting back. 

30 is still young; you’re just more mature.

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I don't use a running leash (the ones that go around your waist) as I find holding it in my hand doesn't effect my stride. 

I use this type of harness, so that the force applied is spread throughout the upper body, and not the neck or shoulders directly.

Image result for dog harness

If she hasn't been on runs with you, the first couple will be more "training" runs (ie. these runs are not meant to stop every 2 feet to sniff like normal walks are, they're meant to keep a pace). 

Thanks!  I think I will make the investment this weekend.

Looking forward to it. She already does a block or two with me as training when I get her out in the morn. Will get the harness and go for just a short few runs first to get her used to it. 

4 hours ago, riffraff said:

Lol.

ive also tried the dog on the treadmill.....not so much luck there.

Haha, yeah I've seen people do that on tv. Kinda doesn't seem right...I don't mind being a hamster on my treadmill but putting the dog on there seems a bit sad.

Wern't you getting ready for a 1/2 marathon soon?

Edited by bishopshodan

• 2 weeks later...

I have been doing really good with my runs but sadly i have been dealing with ankle problems. I took 2 days off between running this week and my ankle is a throbbing mess of pain. Its not swollen or anything so I doubt I sprained it. 

It has been bothering me off and on over the last week. I went out and really pushed my endurance on saturday and felt amazing doing so. Just normal pain saturday night then major pain Sunday and Monday. Today it stopped hurting so I went for my zombie run (week 3 of the 5 k one) but within 5 minutes after I put my shoes on it was hurting. I did my 5 k training on a slow pace and then did nothing else and went home.

I have a old injury from like 10 years ago in that ankle and I think its acting up.

I am also pretty sure its also because of my shoes. I am going to buy new shoes in early July. Any reccomendations? We are looking at under armour.

I guess Ill take a week or two off from running and just do yoga.

I am very frustrated that just as I am getting into a running grove I have to stop.

27 minutes ago, AppleJack said:

I have been doing really good with my runs but sadly i have been dealing with ankle problems. I took 2 days off between running this week and my ankle is a throbbing mess of pain. Its not swollen or anything so I doubt I sprained it. 

It has been bothering me off and on over the last week. I went out and really pushed my endurance on saturday and felt amazing doing so. Just normal pain saturday night then major pain Sunday and Monday. Today it stopped hurting so I went for my zombie run (week 3 of the 5 k one) but within 5 minutes after I put my shoes on it was hurting. I did my 5 k training on a slow pace and then did nothing else and went home.

I have a old injury from like 10 years ago in that ankle and I think its acting up.

I am also pretty sure its also because of my shoes. I am going to buy new shoes in early July. Any reccomendations? We are looking at under armour.

I guess Ill take a week or two off from running and just do yoga.

I am very frustrated that just as I am getting into a running grove I have to stop.

Switch to riding a bike for a bit? A lot less impact on the knees and ankles.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, gurn said:

Switch to riding a bike for a bit? A lot less impact on the knees and ankles.

Sadly I dont have access to a bike. Swimming probably would be the best but our pools been closed for awhile.  I was thinking yoga cause I could do it at home and it will allow me to continue to work on stengthing my legs. I have noticed such a improvemennt in my flexablity in the laat few weeks and do not want to lose that.