The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

So, you know those women in the Olympics who clean jerk, or whatever, over 300lbs.

Does that mean they could grab the 150lb dumbbells at my gym and shoulder press them with relative ease?

Nope, not even close. The jerk portion of a C&J is mostly leg strength from the dip that drives the bar overhead, not shoulder strength. Not saying they don't have good upper body strength, but there is a huge difference between what someone can jerk (assuming proper technique which is huge) and what they could strict press.

I try to bump up he weight every second session, but not by much. Most of the times I can do the weight and sometimes I can't.

..../>

I think you should add 1-2 sets of 5 before your 3x8-12 on the OHP. The sets of 5 would be heavier and help build some strength which should allow you to move more weight on the 3x8-12.

The body will only adapt to the stimulus given to it. If this stimulus stagnates, so does the adaptation that drives progress. Having said that, I would also tighten up the parameters on the 3x8-12 so that you have a defined progression scheme because ultimately if there is no plan for making the workload higher over time, you're setting yourself up to spin your wheels.

Finally moved in to the new place. Going to get my gym membership today or tomorrow.

Starting my 9-10 month cut on August 5th after the ol' dreamer bulk...Feels good to weigh food and track calories again, the last few weeks before moving and having the in laws visit were out of control.

Going to go back to 4 days a week in the gym basing everything around compounds with some assistance, Need to buy a new notebook for weight progression.

A little afraid of getting back in and doing squats, my lower back has deteriorated quite a bit in the last few years, some mornings I can barely even get out of bed and that's without even having done anything the day before, this should be interesting!

Nope, not even close. The jerk portion of a C&J is mostly leg strength from the dip that drives the bar overhead, not shoulder strength. Not saying they don't have good upper body strength, but there is a huge difference between what someone can jerk (assuming proper technique which is huge) and what they could strict press.

Not only that, you're not allowed to "press out" the jerk. You generate most of the power from the dip, then some from the arms, but you are expected to get under the bar with your arms straight at the moment your feet hit the ground.

Elite lifters are usually able to get under the bar much quicker, and it's not overhead strength that separates them.

Can anyone reccomend a good protein poweder for pre/ post workout? Or any ideas. I'm new to this

Seeing as you feel as you're trying to cut, I'd just recommend post workout powders. Isoflex 90% Whey Isolate is good but pretty costly at ~50$. Cheaper ones are like at Superstore & Walmart and it's called SixStar Whey isolate costing at ~25$. However, if you're new to this, just get SixStar; it's cheaper and you don't need that elite stuff.

Also, try doing cardio before your workout----it burns fat like crazy. Get your BPM to around 160.

Edited by Pyrene

Seeing as you feel as you're trying to cut, I'd just recommend post workout powders. Isoflex 90% Whey Isolate is good but pretty costly at ~50$. Cheaper ones are like at Superstore & Walmart and it's called SixStar Whey isolate costing at ~25$. However, if you're new to this, just get SixStar; it's cheaper and you don't need that elite stuff.

Also, try doing cardio before your workout----it burns fat like crazy. Get your BPM to around 160.

Cardio pre-workout does not burn fat like crazy. It's a waste of energy that would be better served lifting weights. If you're going to do cardio, it should be after you lift, not before.

Can anyone reccomend a good protein poweder for pre/ post workout? Or any ideas. I'm new to this

doesnt matter if your cutting or bulking because the only thing that matters for that is reaching your macros and overall caloric goals.

So just get any protein, i would suggest 100% whey gold standary from ON. You can get 10 pouhds of it which should last quite a while from bodybuilding.com there is also 5 pounds and 2 pounds but buying in bulk is usually cheaper.

Promo code: 2013SUPPAWARDS

That expires aug 4 so if you are going to get it online or anyones else is, you can get 10% off

Edited by canucks#01fan

Cardio pre-workout does not burn fat like crazy. It's a waste of energy that would be better served lifting weights. If you're going to do cardio, it should be after you lift, not before.

I was doing cardio pre weights until this week and did weights before cardio. I feel better after doing cardio last.

Also thanks for the powder advice.

Good to know. That would have been disappointing!

doesnt matter if your cutting or bulking because the only thing that matters for that is reaching your macros and overall caloric goals.

So just get any protein, i would suggest 100% whey gold standary from ON. You can get 10 pouhds of it which should last quite a while from bodybuilding.com there is also 5 pounds and 2 pounds but buying in bulk is usually cheaper.

Promo code: 2013SUPPAWARDS

That expires aug 4 so if you are going to get it online or anyones else is, you can get 10% off

This is what I would recommend too, especially the bolded.

I was doing cardio pre weights until this week and did weights before cardio. I feel better after doing cardio last.

Also thanks for the powder advice.

Yeah, cardio pre-lifting a waste of energy that would be better allocated towards the lifting which has a bigger metabolic impact. Plus, lifting first burns through your glycogen stores and forces your body to oxidize (burn) fat when you do cardio after lifting.

I have been going to the the gym for 2 and a half months now. I've been going 3 times a week. I've gained a little bit of size and got noticeably stronger. The first 2 months was needed for me to get back into shape and getting use to lifting again. I'm going to start going 4 times a week and see what happens.

I wanna lose fat bad.

Can anyone answer this? I work a very physical job every day all day. Tons of walking , lifting , especially in this weather I sweat a ton and probably burn lots of calories. Yet it seems like I feel bloated and fat at the end of the day even if I've worked my ass off for 8 hours .

Through my whole life I've hated eating breakfast. Just don't feel like eating in the morning. Since I've been trying to lose weight I have made an effort to eat breakfast and eat a healthy breakfast.

Right now I'm eating granola and yogurt for breakfast. I've cut down on eating out for Lunch. Subway the usual suspect. In exchange I make my own lunches and its usually 2 whole wheat sandwiches with Just 2 thin slices of ham and cheese, a yogurt and granola bar.

I've gained too much weight since being with my fiancé. She's half Filipino and the dinners are usually pretty fatty. More then I'm accustomed to.

There is a big part of your problem.

If you want to cut fat....stay far away from any type of bread or starchy carbs.

It has been 14 days since my rigorous exercise on the complete body - includes -

1. cardio

2. weight lifting

3. no junk food

I have lost 2 KG in 14 days. I'm so pumped up man!!! Thanks to this forum also where I got the motivation from! Love you guys... :wub:

• Upvote 1

There is a big part of your problem.

If you want to cut fat....stay far away from any type of bread or starchy carbs.

How come? (Not questioning you, just curious)

It has been 14 days since my rigorous exercise on the complete body - includes -

1. cardio

2. weight lifting

3. no junk food

I have lost 2 KG in 14 days. I'm so pumped up man!!! Thanks to this forum also where I got the motivation from! Love you guys... :wub:

Thats awesome!! Welcome to the forum!

• Upvote 1

1. cardio

2. weight lifting

3. no junk food

good job bub, thats solid progress
  • Upvote 1