The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Anyone else here get extremely excited and look forward to the next time your going to be able to go to the gym? I sure do! Easily the best part of my day.

Dat pump.

nothing beats that pump, especially with jack3d with 1,3 Dimethylamylamine (only used preworkout a few times)

Im about to go hit legs, squats are the second best part of working out, next to deadlifts

Edited by canucks#01fan

have you tried any programs?

Starting strength by mark rippetoe was a great program for me and it is very simple. It will add lots of strength and size.

http://startingstren...FAQ:The_Program

I have no program... Too lazy to follow one.

I just do everything at once... I know it's not super effective and stuff, but yeah... Too lazy...

But I will bookmark that link. Maybe someday I'll follow it.. :P

Edited by (>o.o)>

Saw a skinny kid at the gym swinging (a lot) while trying to curl 40's

When will people learn to leave their egos at home and actually workout the muscle when at the gym

I think a little swing is normal. As long as you can hold it for a sec and release it in a controlled manner then you can do it. Hell, I think I still have a little swing with 40's and I've been curling a helluva lot more than that for a long time now.

nothing beats that pump, especially with jack3d with 1,3 Dimethylamylamine (only used preworkout a few times)

Im about to go hit legs, squats are the second best part of working out, next to deadlifts

They both, really, really suck. I only do them because I'm not a cop out.

Motivation is definitely the biggest thing that has worked against me.

13 years ago, before I went to university, I worked out like mad for 9 months. Lost 50 pounds and kept it off throughout university. Met my wife in 3rd year of university, got married halfway through 4th year. Kept the weight off until fall 2005.

Since then, I have gained back all the weight I initially lost, plus a little extra for good measure. Incredibly difficult gaining motivation as I'm married and happy. However, I'm going to Vancouver for 2 weeks at the end of July. So I started to go back to the gym. Majority of my friends from university are still living in the lower mainland, I don't want to look like a total shlub.

Great thing about being home, I'm not the only one paying for food! Parents and siblings all chip in too, get to eat a lot more. My strength gains are skyrocketing again; I've got so much more energy day to day. Hoping for the weight gains to start coming back too :)

So real important question here...

What keeps you guys motivated? Motivation is my biggest kryptonite so far...

Motivation wasn't the problem for me, but looking at things in my life that required motivation, you honestly just need to push yourself for a week, even less, and eventually once you have a routine it just becomes a habit. Working out is my favourite part of the day. If I feel like quitting anything, I just keep calling myself a weak b**ch in my head until I push to the end :lol:

Edited by Witchcraft and Sedinery

Motivation is definitely the biggest thing that has worked against me.

13 years ago, before I went to university, I worked out like mad for 9 months. Lost 50 pounds and kept it off throughout university. Met my wife in 3rd year of university, got married halfway through 4th year. Kept the weight off until fall 2005.

Since then, I have gained back all the weight I initially lost, plus a little extra for good measure. Incredibly difficult gaining motivation as I'm married and happy. However, I'm going to Vancouver for 2 weeks at the end of July. So I started to go back to the gym. Majority of my friends from university are still living in the lower mainland, I don't want to look like a total shlub.

Come on bro! I'm sure your wife would love if you lost that weight! Of course she'll love you regardless, but I'm sure she would choose the fit version of you that she married! Heck it might get you laid more often! I'm sure your kids would also love for you to get in better shape.

You don't have to workout mad like you used to, go ahead take it slow and get back in shape! Even if you don't reach the same weight as before, any progress is better than none.

• Upvote 1

Come on bro! I'm sure your wife would love if you lost that weight! Of course she'll love you regardless, but I'm sure she would choose the fit version of you that she married! Heck it might get you laid more often! I'm sure your kids would also love for you to get in better shape.

You don't have to workout mad like you used to, go ahead take it slow and get back in shape! Even if you don't reach the same weight as before, any progress is better than none.

No kids yet and my wife and I actually have a lot more sex now, married just over 9 years, than we ever have. As for my weight, I never want to get back to what I was in university. At 5'10", I went from 192lbs in grade 12 to 142 lbs. This was done by only biking about 45-60 minutes a day with some leg exercises. I'm at 204lbs now, which is obviously not what I'd like. I'd be perfectly happy at about the 165-170 mark. Don't want any part of the 142 that I was.

No kids yet and my wife and I actually have a lot more sex now, married just over 9 years, than we ever have. As for my weight, I never want to get back to what I was in university. At 5'10", I went from 192lbs in grade 12 to 142 lbs. This was done by only biking about 45-60 minutes a day with some leg exercises. I'm at 204lbs now, which is obviously not what I'd like. I'd be perfectly happy at about the 165-170 mark. Don't want any part of the 142 that I was.

If your main goal is to lose weight, working out is only going to be part of the equation, especially as you leave your early 20s. Diet. A lot of the fad diets are hard to stick to. I'd just recommend a high protein and calorie reduced diet, which is pretty much what most of these fad diets boil down to anyways. There's nothing evil about carbs. Cutting carbs is just an easy way to cut calories, while maintaining high protein intake.

If your main goal is to lose weight, working out is only going to be part of the equation, especially as you leave your early 20s.  Diet.  A lot of the fad diets are hard to stick to.  I'd just recommend a high protein and calorie reduced diet, which is pretty much what most of these fad diets boil down to anyways.  There's nothing evil about carbs.  Cutting carbs is just an easy way to cut calories, while maintaining high protein intake.

My main goal is to not be a bridge troll.

• Upvote 1

Any here use Nitro Tech? Thoughts on it as a post workout/recovery drink?

I have been using it for a month and a bit now and am expecting the results to really start piling on soon as theres been some change so far.

I also use the GNC sport multivitamin for men, anyone have experience using it and was it successful?

My main goal is to not be a bridge troll.

I'd also suggest getting involved in a sport too. If you can get onto an ultimate frizbee, soccer, of floor hockey team, it can do wonders. I love weights but hate cardio. Playing these kind of sports, I find myself doing far more cardio than I'd ever get in at the gym. Plus you have a regular weekly schedule you are obligated to attend.

Mix that in with a couple of days a week of solid weight training, and it'll make a huge difference. If you're working hard and effeciently, you shouldn't need more than 3-4 hours a week to get yourself into pretty solid shape. As time goes on and you get over that hump, you'll start to feel better too. Motivation will be less of a problem. You'll sleep better and have more energy in the day.

Any here use Nitro Tech? Thoughts on it as a post workout/recovery drink?

I have been using it for a month and a bit now and am expecting the results to really start piling on soon as theres been some change so far.

I also use the GNC sport multivitamin for men, anyone have experience using it and was it successful?

i reccomend buying from bodybuilding.com in bulk. GNC is massively overprices.

I had the strawberry nitro tech and it tasted like ass. But a good diet with any protien will get you results. Never used a multi vitamin either because most vitamins are obtained through food if you got a good diet.

Edited by canucks#01fan

• 2 weeks later...

So I kinda figured out how to make my workouts last longer. I go 30-40 min at home, then 20-30 at the gym... Still counts :P

Also, I read an article that taking cold showers after workouts are good for you. Anyone do this? I tried today, and it's painful as hell...