The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Just curious as someone who really isn't that into the whole structured workout thing:

I have no desire to lose or gain weight (I'm stocky/naturally muscular, about 6'0 and closing in on 200lbs), and at this point I'm more focused on just getting my muscles more defined and doing a bit of fat burning cardio just to keep it off.

Is there really any point in investing in any sort of supplement at this point?

Supplements are generally a waste of money.  However, having some whey to use when you're in a pinch and need some protein is good.  Caffeine pills can be good too when you need something to get you going before a workout, but other than that I wouldn't go crazy buying supplements.

What kind of "cardio" are you doing for your fat loss?

Edited by Henrik Kesler

Just curious as someone who really isn't that into the whole structured workout thing:

I have no desire to lose or gain weight (I'm stocky/naturally muscular, about 6'0 and closing in on 200lbs), and at this point I'm more focused on just getting my muscles more defined and doing a bit of fat burning cardio just to keep it off.

Is there really any point in investing in any sort of supplement at this point?

the only way to get your muscles more "defined" is to lower your body fat percentage, which means you gotta lose weight.

Or to build more muscle which will cause weight gain

Supplements are generally a waste of money. However, having some whey to use when you're in a pinch and need some protein is good. Caffeine pills can be good too when you need something to get you going before a workout, but other than that I wouldn't go crazy buying supplements.

What kind of "cardio" are you doing for your fat loss?

It varies depending on how much time I have for the day.

Ussually (like 4 or 5 times a week) I just hop on the elliptical for an hour or so. Every so often I'll go for like a 20 or 30 minute run.

Ussually (like 4 or 5 times a week) I just hop on the elliptical for an hour or so. Every so often I'll go for like a 20 or 30 minute run.

That's a horribly inefficient use of your time and it's hurting your metabolism. Some steady state cardio is OK if you need it to add to the calorie deficit and even then I'd cap it at 30 minutes. Otherwise, I'd do 7 sprints of 20 seconds followed by 1:40 of active rest with a 5 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down as my "cardio."

I would say to:

Do 20-30 minutes of light walking in the morning before eating and after lifting weights. Keep the heart rate around 120. Eat more protein, less carbs for less calories overall. Experiment a little bit with how many calories you need if you don't already know. If you don't lose any weight (fat) after a couple weeks then you know to eat smaller portions. But keep the protein high, even higher than what it's currently at.

That's a horribly inefficient use of your time and it's hurting your metabolism. Some steady state cardio is OK if you need it to add to the calorie deficit and even then I'd cap it at 30 minutes. Otherwise, I'd do 7 sprints of 20 seconds followed by 1:40 of active rest with a 5 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down as my "cardio."

It's worked pretty well so far? I've definitely cut quite a bit of fat off since I started a few months ago.

It's not really wasting any time either, I ussually just do it when I'm gonna watch the news or a hockey game or something, so I would just be sitting around otherwise

It's worked pretty well so far? I've definitely cut quite a bit of fat off since I started a few months ago.

It's not really wasting any time either, I ussually just do it when I'm gonna watch the news or a hockey game or something, so I would just be sitting around otherwise

What he's describing is HIIT. Google it. It's so much more effective and efficient than straight sustained cardio. He's right. You are wasting time otherwise with less results too.

What he's describing is HIIT. Google it. It's so much more effective and efficient than straight sustained cardio. He's right. You are wasting time otherwise with less results too.

Well it has worked pretty well, but I'm sure you guys know more than I do about this stuff. Might as well try to do a more high intensity cardio workout for a bit just to see how it works for me.

Like I said, I'm not really into the whole structured workout thing, I really have no idea whats the most effective way to do things, I just sort of do what I feel like doing most of the time.

Edited by Jägermeister

I just want to bulk up over the summer and put on 10 pounds if I could. I'm 160 pounds but I'm about 6 foot 1. The thing is my lower body is bigger than my upper body.

My quads are pretty big from playing a lot of ice hockey over the years. But I'm struggling putting on mass.

Don't really want to workout with weights yet till I put more mass on.

Would doing some body weight exercises be a good way to stimulate my metabolism? And are those meal replacement drinks good to have?

Thanks.

18 days left of P90x. Feelin' pretty good. Going to do Insanity next, anyone here done Insanity before?

Insanity is my favourite one.

I did P90x... then followed it up right away with Insanity.

Let me say this - Insanity is the only workout that has me dripping in sweat and can barely stand up by the end. Even leading it with P90x; and being a fairly active person (play hockey 1-3 times a week, bike about 30-60km a week) - you will get a good workout.

With that being said - it is tonnes of fun, and within 7-10 days, you will notice a staggering change in your cardio.

Make sure you eat properly before and after, and at least 1L of water.

Edited by Squeak

I just want to bulk up over the summer and put on 10 pounds if I could. I'm 160 pounds but I'm about 6 foot 1. The thing is my lower body is bigger than my upper body.

My quads are pretty big from playing a lot of ice hockey over the years. But I'm struggling putting on mass.

Don't really want to workout with weights yet till I put more mass on.

Would doing some body weight exercises be a good way to stimulate my metabolism? And are those meal replacement drinks good to have?

Thanks.

This makes no sense. Lifting is the best way to gain mass. It's like saying you wanna get better at an instrument before you start practicing.

I've trained off and on for a few months, finally got serious about it almost 3 weeks ago, and I'm already looking a bit bigger especially in the chest, and my measurements have gone up as well. This is all despite the fact that I managed to shed a bit of the flab I had before. Gotta love noob gains.

Hardest part for me is eating enough, it's hard to make myself big meals when I'm busy most of the day.

This makes no sense. Lifting is the best way to gain mass. It's like saying you wanna get better at an instrument before you start practicing.

I've trained off and on for a few months, finally got serious about it almost 3 weeks ago, and I'm already looking a bit bigger especially in the chest, and my measurements have gone up as well. This is all despite the fact that I managed to shed a bit of the flab I had before. Gotta love noob gains.

Hardest part for me is eating enough, it's hard to make myself big meals when I'm busy most of the day.

What I meant was weight instead of mass. I'm considerably underweight for my size and frame. I don't see what if any results I can get starting to workout now with weights before even having a decent frame to work with.

Plus I don't want to hurt myself lifting heavy weights yet so that is why I want to start with only body weight exercises to build up my strength slowly and then advance to more intense workouts.

What I meant was weight instead of mass. I'm considerably underweight for my size and frame. I don't see what if any results I can get starting to workout now with weights before even having a decent frame to work with.

Plus I don't want to hurt myself lifting heavy weights yet so that is why I want to start with only body weight exercises to build up my strength slowly and then advance to more intense workouts.

ya nothing wrong with doing chin ups, dips amdpush ups to start but weights will make you gain more muscle mass. You said you wanna gain 10 lbs and of course its optimal for that to be muscle instead of fat so its up to you at the end.

You'll make better progress, and faster if you jump right in with the weights. Just make sure you START LIGHT and add weight to the bar EVERY SESSION. Oh and of course you have to eat like a madman.

Well it has worked pretty well, but I'm sure you guys know more than I do about this stuff.  Might as well try to do a more high intensity cardio workout for a bit just to see how it works for me.

Like I said, I'm not really into the whole structured workout thing, I really have no idea whats the most effective way to do things, I just sort of do what I feel like doing most of the time.

Not saying it doesn't/wouldn't work, just that you could be using your time more efficiently and getting better results.

The biggest problem with low intensity steady state cardio (LISS) is that your metabolism adapts to it (making it slow down) after a bit (~8ish weeks), and thereafter NEEDS it (the LISS cardio) in order to just maintain your weight, causing progress to stagnate.

In addition to your metabolism adapting to need the LISS, the only time your metabolism is elevated is while performing the LISS.

In contrast, when doing HIIT your metabolism stays elevated after you stop for ~24 hours allowing you to burn more calories total even though the duration of the workout was shorter.

Edited by Henrik Kesler

Calorie intake guys? I'm only 150ish going to start getting back up to 3000 a day minimum. Good? Bad?

How old are you?

If your 25 or younger and working out a lot 3000 calories is probably not enough. Young guys will burn 2500+ calories just living. Throw in exercise, sports, and working out and 3000 calories may be less than you burn in a day.

If you're looking to add 10lbs, which is pretty substantial on a 5'9'' frame, you should consume 500+ calories a day more than you burn.

The answer for how many calroies you need to gain weight is going to be different for everybody. The only real way to know the right number is to track your calories and weight. If you're not gaining weight, eat more.

• Upvote 1