The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Seeing someone bench what you squat is good for perspecitve, isn't it?

You should have that. 275x5 usually translates to 315+. Kill it!

Tell me about it

Got that 315 for 1 rep. Definitely think i got more in me. Also did 275 x 3 paused which is a PR for paused bench. Thanks for the motivation guys.

Congrats dude.

--------------

The western canadian national powerlifting something something was being held at my gym in Calgary today.

Seen this 160lb guy do a 640lb deadlift, made it look easy! But he failed a 660lb attempt. Another guy hit a national record 705lb deadlift. Unfortunately I missed the bench and squat attempts, but a 20 year old from my gym also set a national record for 770lb squat! oh wait and a 56 year old lady did 360 or 380lb deadlift!

Pretty motivating seeing these guys do there thing!

• 2 weeks later...

First time ever got myself a membership to a gym. Joined Club 16, so far I like what I see, not overly busy, plenty of equipement and only $14.99/month.

Started last week on a Tuesday and went strong for 5 days straight dedicating each day to a different set of groups. Although I don't entirely have a set plan, I started with stretching, 20 minute cardio and go from there for about an hour on the dedicated area, so any tips are welcomed.

Unfortunately, I had a bad stomach flu on this past Monday that put me out until today. I'll start going once again Monday, 5-6 days a week.

I currently weigh 176lbs, looking to put on some muscle weight to get up to at least 190-200lbs and since I do a lot of skiing myself a definitely want to have a better athletic ability. I already have pretty strong legs but I definitely want to have the ability to jump higher and lose the leg cramps during a 6-8 hour session on the mountain, especially if I plan to do a lot of backcountry this ski season.

Have to say though, I always look forward to going, its definitely my favourite part of the day and hope I don't skip a beat at all.

Edited by Armada

First time ever got myself a membership to a gym. Joined Club 16, so far I like what I see, not overly busy, plenty of equipement and only $14.99/month.

Started last week on a Tuesday and went strong for 5 days straight dedicating each day to a different set of groups. Although I don't entirely have a set plan, I started with stretching, 20 minute cardio and go from there for about an hour on the dedicated area, so any tips are welcomed.

Unfortunately, I had a bad stomach flu on this past Monday that put me out until today. I'll start going once again Monday, 5-6 days a week.

I currently weigh 176lbs, looking to put on some muscle weight to get up to at least 190-200lbs and since I do a lot of skiing myself a definitely want to have a better athletic ability. I already have pretty strong legs but I definitely want to have the ability to jump higher and lose the leg cramps during a 6-8 hour session on the mountain, especially if I plan to do a lot of backcountry this ski season.

Have to say though, I always look forward to going, its definitely my favourite part of the day and hope I don't skip a beat at all.

Despite what you read on the internet, 25lbs of lean muscle is a lot. Be patient. Don't get discouraged even if it takes 4+ years to reach that goal.

Despite what you read on the internet, 25lbs of lean muscle is a lot. Be patient. Don't get discouraged even if it takes 4+ years to reach that goal.

Putting on 25lbs of muscle, NOT just bodyweight, is damn near a lifetime of progress for someone who isn't running AAS.

Now the bad news..you'll get 80% of the results you'll get from proper and consistent training in the first 12 months. After that, the amount of work required for progress increases while the return on the work becomes smaller and smaller.

• 2 weeks later...

My average weight for my squat work sets today was 316lbs. I know it's not the same as squatting 315x5x5 straight, but I'm pretty damn happy. My sets were 305, 320, 325, 315, and 315, all for 5.

I thought you did more than that.

Do you guys ever get a physical? Maybe I should. I feel like something might be wrong. I always feel wiped around the time I go to the gym AND when I'm at the gym. I get plenty of sleep and my days can be long because of school work some times despite being fairly lax since I'm sitting at a desk most of the time. For a couple months now I have a hard time finishing 10 sets some days; I feel very mentally drained and to the point I feel so tired I'm yawning. Laying on the bench and napping between sets seems like a good idea. Last time I did squats I couldn't even get through 3 sets of 10 reps without nearly puking at the end because of mental exhaustion.

Hey guys I know there's a few pages worth of this stuff.

Anyone recommend a good schedule on what to work on each day to get the best results. So far I've been doing this for the past 2 weeks, on week 3 now. Not sure if its the best way to do things but I feel as though its working.

Monday: Chest & Back

Tuesday: Cardio + Core

Wednesday: Arms and Shoulders

Thursday: Legs + Core

Friday: Chest & Back

Saturday: Arms and Shoulders

I thought you did more than that.

Do you guys ever get a physical? Maybe I should. I feel like something might be wrong. I always feel wiped around the time I go to the gym AND when I'm at the gym. I get plenty of sleep and my days can be long because of school work some times despite being fairly lax since I'm sitting at a desk most of the time. For a couple months now I have a hard time finishing 10 sets some days; I feel very mentally drained and to the point I feel so tired I'm yawning. Laying on the bench and napping between sets seems like a good idea. Last time I did squats I couldn't even get through 3 sets of 10 reps without nearly puking at the end because of mental exhaustion.

I've only been cracking at it shortly now but I noticed myself eating the right foods keeps you going, even after work or school and I don't feel tired anymore.

Normally this is what I do.

8:00am - Start with a cereal or oatmeal and kale shake (Frozen fruits, banana, kale, hemp seeds, carrots)

10am - Tea and a few rice crackers

12pm - Have a wrap

3pm - Protein bar or hard boiled eggs

5pm - Go to the gym with post workout protein drink

7pm - Kale Shake + salad and a meaty dinner

Of course with plenty of water throughout the day, especially 30 minutes before I eat to increase the metabolism.

Edited by Armada

I've only been cracking at it shortly now but I noticed myself eating the right foods keeps you going, even after work or school and I don't feel tired anymore.

Normally this is what I do.

8:00am - Start with a cereal or oatmeal and kale shake (Frozen fruits, banana, kale, hemp seeds, carrots)

10am - Tea and a few rice crackers

12pm - Have a wrap

3pm - Protein bar or hard boiled eggs

5pm - Go to the gym with post workout protein drink

7pm - Kale Shake + salad and a meaty dinner

Of course with plenty of water throughout the day, especially 30 minutes before I eat to increase the metabolism.

I eat well all the time. I've been doing this for four years now so my diet isn't a problem -- yours looks good too. Last night I felt like I was in beast mode doing my back. Tonight I was more iffy with legs, again. Squats might have killed me like they nearly did last week.

• 3 weeks later...

Over a month ago, I was doing some seated dumbell shoulder press. Nothing heavy, nothing stupid, already warmed up. But going up I felt the weight in my left arm fall back a little so I fought to maintain it. Then came a really weird sensation in my shoulder, I saw my armpit bulge out in the mirror, and I immeditely flailed and dropped the weights. There was a cracking noise and my shoulder looked normal again and there wasn't pain (if there was any I couldn't feel it due to shock) but I could feel all my strength was gone so I stopped the workout. As the hours went by my shoulder felt fuzzy. Fuzzy turned to numb which turned to sore which turned to throbbing pain that woke me up in the middle of the night. Turns out I spontaneously partially dislocated and relocated my shoulder (and was apparently very fortunate it wasn't more severe otherwise my joint could be messed up for life).

So just now I have enough mobility and structural strength to be able to move my arm around with confidence, and hold weight (like a bag of groceries). Figured I could get back in the gym at least for some squats while I rehab my shoulder since I can move my arm into that position just fine.

Anyways, do some squats yesterday (again, nothing stupid, nothing too heavy). Shoulder felt great. But, I found I hyperextended coming out of the hole just one damn time which my buddy also noted and pointed out and I made sure I didn't do again. But then last night while I was cramming some assignments I took a break to stretch my back. After I did nothing but flex my lats and pull my arms down I immediately felt a weird feeling in my spine. It got progressively worse before I got to sleep at 5 am.

Now I'm lying in bed and I can't sit up properly. So moral of the story my fellow lifters: be extra careful in the gym because all it takes is one rep to f**k you up :( hopefully this isn't anything too serious.

Edited by Captain Aerosex

• 3 weeks later...

Alright so i haven't worked out consistently in nearly two months (after hitting my bench pr) due to a combination of laziness, school, and injury.

This is the longest break i've ever taken from working out consistently (still worked out at least once a week for most weeks while playing casual hockey at 2-3 times a week) and im just wondering how long it usually takes you guys to get back to regular form after a long break.

Despite the fact that i've been eating like crap, i've lost around 6 pounds.

Alright so i haven't worked out consistently in nearly two months (after hitting my bench pr) due to a combination of laziness, school, and injury.

This is the longest break i've ever taken from working out consistently (still worked out at least once a week for most weeks while playing casual hockey at 2-3 times a week) and im just wondering how long it usually takes you guys to get back to regular form after a long break.

Well, after almost 2 months off from lifting of any kind (just began hitting the gym again last week after some swimming for PT) due to shoulder subluxation, I'm OHPing about 75% of what I can normally do. My other lifts are back up to snuff after a week though.

Does anybody have any suggestions for a protein powder without any artifical sweeteners (sucralose, aceslulfame potassium, saccharin) that taste relatively good?

Thanks

Ive use one out of new zealand I believe its Kaizen...all natural but vanilla flavoured...there are two types: a quickly digested one for gym people and a slower one which I use as more of a meal...approx 26g of protein...go to a health foods store. Typically they carry more natural products.

The key to a good workout is finding a nutrition/fitness routine that fits your schedule and lifestyle. I have used many routines and fads since I was paid by my previous job (military) to work out every day.

The biggest lesson I learned is that it is 70% diet and 30% activity and don't underestimate the power of "off days" or rest days to your overall goals. You CAN workout too much...

My current routine (designed to be lean but muscular) is:

M - 30 minute light jog

Tues - Weights and Boxing - 1 hour

Wed - 30 minute jog

Thurs - Weights and Boxing - 1 hour

Fri - 30 minute jog

Sat - 7 - 10k run

Sun - Day Off

When I want to gain muscle mass, I add an extra day of weights to the above..

P.S. After being in many gyms, DVD's etc... you can do everything you need with a set of dumbells, one barbell and a larger sized exercise ball.

• Upvote 1

Thats a question that depends on many things: diet, sleep, any nagging injuries, age,, workout program etc.

Im 38. I started working out with weights at 19. Im fortunate to have metabolism and a bit of genetics on my side. I did the gym thing quite regularly up till about 27years old with some breaks all due to travelling.

After about 28 to to now I became alot more interested in outdoor activities. I started surfing at 23 and at 28 basically dedicated my free time from an exercise lifestyle point of view to it.

I found all the heavy weight lifting totally worked against me - low range of motion and therefore low endurance.

Over the past fee years ive gone to gyms when working away from home but all weight exercises are done standing on half bosu balls. I find this mimics real life situations more and it also forces you to employ propper form...there is no cheating when balance is requires...us its more fun...ive seen direct results in all outdoor sports like surfing, skiing, and especially hockey...basically any situation where you are requires to generate power while off balance or in an awkward position.

Id say the most important things to keep in mind when lifting weights is start small, use proper form at all times...No cheating. Remember you are doing this for you and not to impress anyone. There will always be somebody stronger and more fit or ripped...also eating right is key - and in the right schedule to incrrase metabolism...dont forget cardio if you actually want to see your muscles...srink water...lots.

Too much too soon will result in injury as will bad form.

Do legs too. So you dont look like an idiot always wearing pants to hide your Wednesday legs lol...besides squats and deadlifts will create a solid platform to develop from.

All I do now is run and swim and stretch every other day at least. I also physically work all day each day outside so im lucky in burning calories...my younger years in the gym were a good investment to where im at now at my age.

Have fun.