The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

What I meant was weight instead of mass. I'm considerably underweight for my size and frame. I don't see what if any results I can get starting to workout now with weights before even having a decent frame to work with.

Plus I don't want to hurt myself lifting heavy weights yet so that is why I want to start with only body weight exercises to build up my strength slowly and then advance to more intense workouts.

Body weight exercises are really good but you should also be using weights. You can lift light, you don't need to go heavy right now. Doing this will help you strengthen your stabilizer muscles for when you start to lift heavy later on.

Anyone have a solid back routine?

I've been doing german volume training for a while now and need to change it up.

How about do what created the worlds biggest back?

People say Dorin Yates use to take his body to such extreme failure that he would vomit, pass out and even poop his pants

Insanity is my favourite one.

I did P90x... then followed it up right away with Insanity.

Let me say this - Insanity is the only workout that has me dripping in sweat and can barely stand up by the end. Even leading it with P90x; and being a fairly active person (play hockey 1-3 times a week, bike about 30-60km a week) - you will get a good workout.

With that being said - it is tonnes of fun, and within 7-10 days, you will notice a staggering change in your cardio.

Make sure you eat properly before and after, and at least 1L of water.

im less than 10 days away now. taking one week off for recovery before moving onto either Insanity or BodyBeast. I do want to add muslce but I wouldnt mind finally getting rid of this last bit of annoying stomach thats kicking around. my main issue is that as a child I was severely obese (305+lbs in Grade 7) sop toning is a continuing issue. My arms and chest are a lot bigger/more defined but my mid section is being a little b*tch still. That being said, i'm down to 210, im 6ft4 and I've developed a cardio endurance that would put many to shame. I can also jump pretty high/far these days thanks to Plyo (my favourite of the p90x series).

Anyone here ever do Body Beast?

Howwww do you get so much lol. I gotta start working out. Eat a lot, but it's all going to my stomach :(

I constantly eat regardless of if I'm hungry (not as of late... gotta get back to it). mMlk is also my best friend, 160 calories per large class, adds up when you drink 5 glasses a day, lots of protein in that too. I'm lucky I have a super fast metabolism and so have never had a big stomach.

just hit your body weight in protein . 1 gram per pound , gain mass fast

Wrong. Carbs are the key to gaining mass. Huge protein intake (more than 1-1.25 grams/lb of bodyweight) is sooooo overplayed when in reality it's a waste of time, especially when trying to gain weight.

Wrong. Carbs are the key to gaining mass. Huge protein intake (more than 1-1.25 grams/lb of bodyweight) is sooooo overplayed when in reality it's a waste of time, especially when trying to gain weight.

nope, you still need to eat above maintainance, doesnt matter if you 400g of carbs a day, you wont gain weight without eating above maintainance. This is a fact. You can eat mcdonalds, ice cream, and potato chips and still lose weightbif youre in a caloric deficit. Calories in vs calories out.

Edited by canucks#01fan

You do need a pile of protein and calories.

Although I have never had to worry about putting on Wt so I'm not an expert

Other keys that are just as important,

work out to full failure

I can't stand going to the gym and seeing retards do 12 reps then stop, look in the mirror, repeat.

If you want your muscles to grow make them grow, fail evertime.

Don't worry about the Wt you have on worry about form, tune out everything and focus on the muscle you are working.

Again you see guys wobbling back and forth tying to get to the "set" reps.

The biggest breakthrough for me was when I started to push or lift fast and explosive and let down or come down really really slow. It increased my power significantly.

Taking in all the calories in the world won't make you grow muscle if you don't work extremely hard.

I work out for 30-45 mins with no rests and completly fail every time I end a set

I have done this for years and its worked for me.

I don't even count my reps anymore

If you don't feel like barfing then you aren't working hard enough.

Take your body to its absolute max and it will respond with growth.

A super good website is http://scoobysworkshop.com/

He is a total weirdo that put this non profit website together cause he is totally mental.

But let me tell you he has some excellent cheap and effective alternatives to supplements and roids and he does it all from home.

You do need a pile of protein and calories.

Although I have never had to worry about putting on Wt so I'm not an expert

Other keys that are just as important,

work out to full failure

I can't stand going to the gym and seeing retards do 12 reps then stop, look in the mirror, repeat.

If you want your muscles to grow make them grow, fail evertime.

Don't worry about the Wt you have on worry about form, tune out everything and focus on the muscle you are working.

Again you see guys wobbling back and forth tying to get to the "set" reps.

The biggest breakthrough for me was when I started to push or lift fast and explosive and let down or come down really really slow. It increased my power significantly.

Taking in all the calories in the world won't make you grow muscle if you don't work extremely hard.

I work out for 30-45 mins with no rests and completly fail every time I end a set

I have done this for years and its worked for me.

I don't even count my reps anymore

If you don't feel like barfing then you aren't working hard enough.

Take your body to its absolute max and it will respond with growth.

A super good website is http://scoobysworkshop.com/

He is a total weirdo that put this non profit website together cause he is totally mental.

But let me tell you he has some excellent cheap and effective alternatives to supplements and roids and he does it all from home.

Your training goals and mine are vastly different.

Yes protein is important, but only to a point. Once that point is reached, you are better off filling in your calorie needs with carbs and fat, not more protein, plus carbs are ******* delicious.

I train for strength on the big lifts (squat, bench, deadlift) so training as you describe would be asinine because it's not the stimulus needed for the desired adaptation. I do however do BB type stuff to fill in the gaps once I'm done with the big lifts and I use 'sets and reps' so I can track the tonnage moved and adjust upwards when necessary.

• Upvote 1

Your training goals and mine are vastly different.

Yes protein is important, but only to a point. Once that point is reached, you are better off filling in your calorie needs with carbs and fat, not more protein, plus carbs are ******* delicious.

I train for strength on the big lifts (squat, bench, deadlift) so training as you describe would be asinine because it's not the stimulus needed for the desired adaptation. I do however do BB type stuff to fill in the gaps once I'm done with the big lifts and I use 'sets and reps' so I can track the tonnage moved and adjust upwards when necessary.

My body works differently, if I eat lean I stay lean, If I eat a pile of carbs and fat I get fat.

I work out aggressivly cause I get bored counting and tracking

I don't give a crap how many tons I move, if I do all I can do it's always enough, I fail with 3 reps, I fail with 30 reps who knows, who cares.

My body works differently, if I eat lean I stay lean, If I eat a pile of carbs and fat I get fat.

I work out aggressivly cause I get bored counting and tracking

I don't give a crap how many tons I move, if I do all I can do it's always enough, I fail with 3 reps, I fail with 30 reps who knows, who cares.

My workout is kinda the same as yours. I just go till failure, feels better that way imo.

But I have a very very hard time gaining weight. I've been hovering around 125lbs for the past three months, and I've noticed little muscle gain, aside from abs...

How many days do you guys workout a week?

I do 3 days on 1 day off in a push, legs, pull routine. Chest and tri's on day 1, legs on day two, back and bi's on day three, rest and repeat. Abs every other workout.

Edit: forgot to add shoulders on push day aswell

Edited by canucks#01fan

I'm at 209 right now, hoping to add another 5-10 pounds this summer. Over all another 20 would be perfect for me. Keeping me around 230.

What's everyone using for protein?

I've used iso whey for the past 3 months. Seems to be really good.

Edited by Kent.S

My workout is kinda the same as yours. I just go till failure, feels better that way imo.

But I have a very very hard time gaining weight. I've been hovering around 125lbs for the past three months, and I've noticed little muscle gain, aside from abs...

How many days do you guys workout a week?

What's your diet like?

I'm at 209 right now, hoping to add another 5-10 pounds this summer. Over all another 20 would be perfect for me. Keeping me around 230.

What's everyone using for protein?

I've used iso whey for the past 3 months. Seems to be really good.

100% whey gold standard from optimum nutrition. Tastes good and is consistantly rated high