The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Maybe the drinking part. I didn't pound back any cake or eggnog while I breaked. Diet was practically the same. Maybe less calories in general though, I dunno.

dont know why your strength went down thar much. Youll easily get it back once you get back into the rhythm. When i took a month off a while back i was doing about 80% of my regular weight mostly due to my CNS not being used to the weight but not sure why only a week off made your numbers suffer that much. Maybe its a psychological thing. Edited by MusclePharm

dont know why your strength went down thar much. Youll easily get it back once you get back into the rhythm. When i took a month off a while back i was doing about 80% of my regular weight mostly due to my CNS not being used to the weight but not sure why only a week off made your numbers suffer that much. Maybe its a psychological thing.

I had an off week prior to that week where my lift sucked. So it fluctuates a bit sometimes. That's the case here too I am just kind of pissed how much it dropped

Plateaued on my bench for nearly all of December of now. I'm plateaued at 195lbs x 6 reps

For the past 2 weeks [benching 2x week for a total of 4 chest workouts in that time frame] I switched to pyramid benching, but it hasn't helped push past that 195x6 .

Thinking about switching to dumbbell presses for 4-6 chest days and see if it helps.

Anything that has worked for you guys in the past?

I separated my shoulder at hockey in late August and did take 4 weeks off from upper body lifting [stuck to squats, leg machines, cardio and core] and did slowly rehab it and get its strength back. I don't think it's affecting me because there's no pain when I'm at my plateau weight, my chest just resists contracting in and my arms get heavy and I can't lift the bar up.

Plateaued on my bench for nearly all of December of now. I'm plateaued at 195lbs x 6 reps

For the past 2 weeks [benching 2x week for a total of 4 chest workouts in that time frame] I switched to pyramid benching, but it hasn't helped push past that 195x6 .

Thinking about switching to dumbbell presses for 4-6 chest days and see if it helps.

I separated my shoulder at hockey in late August and did take 4 weeks off from upper body lifting [stuck to squats, leg machines, cardio and core] and did slowly rehab it and get its strength back. I don't think it's affecting me because there's no pain when I'm at my plateau weight, my chest just resists contracting in and my arms get heavy and I can't lift the bar up.

work up to heavy triples.

Those really helped me get past my plateau.

I was doing pyramids then went back to madcows 5x5, then 4x4, and then 6x3.

Also do some heavy overhead pressing, they helped me alot since my front delts were lacking.

work up to heavy triples.

Those really helped me get past my plateau.

I was doing pyramids then went back to madcows 5x5, then 4x4, and then 6x3.

Also do some heavy overhead pressing, they helped me alot since my front delts were lacking.

Thanks for the advice.

I've been doubling down on chest days by isolating the triceps afterwards to build those up since a lot of bench uses triceps. I'll add in overheads like military presses as well.

As mentioned, don't be hesitant to do lower reps, even two or three reps a set, but with heavier weight of course. Have a spot for that also. That should help your strength here.

Another thing to try if you don't already is narrow grip bench and weighted dips. I used to spin my tires in the mud years ago trying to get 225 down consistently. I did these things regularly for a couple months and conquered 225 5x5 no problem shortly after.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

Do you guys see more results while using Creatine or Whey?

I personally see more in Whey, but I've heard crazy reviews on creatine.

Entirely different things in the body. Whey protein is synthesized by your body and used to repair and grow muscle tissue and most protein shakes contain free amino acids which also synthesize in the body to form proteins. Creatine is stored in cells in the form of phosphocreatine and is the source of energy your body uses when it needs quick, explosive bursts of energy [think a sprinter running a 100m dash, or going for that 1 or 2 rep max in the gym]. Creatine supplements can increase the amount of phosphocreatine stored in your cells and/or increase the recovery time for your cells to get back to homeostatic levels of phosphocreatine. Usually you don't get more than 12-15 seconds of using primarily PCr for energy before anaerobic/aerobic energy systems kick in.

I've been experimenting with creatine for ice hockey the last few weeks to see if my body can recover PCr levels before every shift.

Do legs too. So you dont look like an idiot always wearing pants to hide your Wednesday legs lol...besides squats and deadlifts will create a solid platform to develop from.

A friend of mine said something to me once along the lines of how stupid would a house look built on stilts or something. Since then, lower body has always been equally as high a priority as upper body. Need a good strong base to build on top of.

I'm going on vacation for 4 months starting in the New Year. Will have next to no gym access, and I won't be leading a healthy lifestyle whatsoever.

Anyone have any good ideas for any quick workouts I can do without any weights just to make sure I don't get too soft?

Maybe consider downloading something like Shaun T's Insanity onto your phone/tablet/laptop and doing it? It doesn't use any weights or equipment and don't need that much space to do it.

Do you guys stretch on your days off?

One area I need to improve on. I like to roll out my legs on a foam roller most days [except days after leg day since they're too sore to roll out] but I need to start stretching out the rest of my body. I just always forget, or think, "I'll do it later at home" and never do.

As mentioned, don't be hesitant to do lower reps, even two or three reps a set, but with heavier weight of course. Have a spot for that also. That should help your strength here.

Another thing to try if you don't already is narrow grip bench and weighted dips. I used to spin my tires in the mud years ago trying to get 225 down consistently. I did these things regularly for a couple months and conquered 225 5x5 no problem shortly after.

Yeah, with pyramid I get down to 5 and 3 rep sets, but by then I'm also pretty tired from the previous, higher rep sets. I'll try sticking to only high weight/low rep following warm up.

I find that different things work for different people when it comes to plateaus. For people doing less than 225 i usually recommend getting on a linear program like 5x5 as mention above. Going a little heavier with less reps coupd do the trick also. Of course you can use the most underrated tool in lifting, the deload.

So I have ONLY done dumbells for chest since getting serious about working out and I am curious how it would translate to regular bench.

85-90's on dumbells would equate to what on the bench press??

I feel like 100s are about 225, but I might be totally wrong. Basing this on one week to the next. I'd have to do one then the other on the same day..