The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

I like it way more than squats. But it doesn't seem like there's much margin for error. Hopefully it's just a muscle thing. I feel fine throughout the day, bending, etc, using my back in general, except when it came to last dead lift day. That was brutal. Maybe take a month off of from doing it? I dunno.

All I know is my body does not like it.

Regardless of the weight, reps or form I use, lower back always ends up hurting.

Like you said, the margin for error is so slim and if you are using heavy weight...snap city....not worth the risk for me.

Edited by RRypien37

All I know is my body does not like it.

Regardless of the weight, reps or form I use, lower back always ends up hurting.

Like you said, the margin for error is so slim and if you are using heavy weight...snap city....not worth the risk for me.

I think it's just a muscle strain, or whatever. If it was a disk or something else spinal then wouldn't you be in pain/feel discomfort regularly? I guess these are questions more for a doctor though :lol:

What the hell do you do for a sore lower back? Literally a couple bad reps or one bad set in several years and I can't even deadlift anymore without significant pain. 465 x 5 x 5 regularly no problem; struggled for 405 x 8 x 2. Got 1 rep third set before calling it quits.

You should drastically lower the weight and increase the reps for deadlifts aka "back snaps" - HodgeTwins

This is why I don't dead lift.

Agreed.. the risk outweighs the benefits for me imo..

I prefer to just supplement with other compound exercises and/or isolation movements.

What the hell do you do for a sore lower back? Literally a couple bad reps or one bad set in several years and I can't even deadlift anymore without significant pain. 465 x 5 x 5 regularly no problem; struggled for 405 x 8 x 2. Got 1 rep third set before calling it quits.

if you've ever heard of "happy cat, angry cat" it's a good stretch for your back.

Is your core strong - your guts? Do you do cardio/breathe properly?

Lotta forces goin on in the abdomen with the kind of weight you're working with....weak core or neglected core and injury just around the corner.

Stretch. Acupuncture. Massage.

Yeah that's some serious weight. Slim margin for error. I'd cut that weight in half until you're 100% again.

I always play it safe with squats and deadlifts. I could care less what the guy next ti me is doing (not saying you do), so I always start lighter and add weight through sets. I almost never push more than maybe 85% of my max. It's just not worth it to me. I'm old enough and have learned through injuries on more than one occasion. My body just doesn't recover like it used to.

That said, my workout goals could be drastically different from yours, I dunno.

At the moment I have Kassian-Front-Delts, Kesler-Side-Delts and Wellwood-Rear-Delts due to a year of (mostly) compound movements.

I think the wellwoods have gotten all they can out of the rowing movements.

I've started doing reverse flyes assuming that this is the only really good isolation move that I can do for the wellwoods since I don't go to a gym ... yes? no?

(I figured a heavy resistance band around an object for "face pulls" is just asking to lose an eye)

(also, you're still thinking about Kesler's weird nudie pic in your head)

Edit: I'm using dumbbells for the reverse flyes, not a resistance band.

Edited by Svengali

This is why I don't dead lift.

Love the d-lift. One of the best exercises you can do for legs and core. The problem is that people try and go to heavy or don't use proper form. With proper form, it really becomes more of a leg exercise than back exercise. If you have a neutral spine, proper form, warm up, and don't go too heavy, it's really a relatively low risk exercise for injury.

I like it way more than squats. But it doesn't seem like there's much margin for error. Hopefully it's just a muscle thing. I feel fine throughout the day, bending, etc, using my back in general, except when it came to last dead lift day. That was brutal. Maybe take a month off of from doing it? I dunno.

taking time off deadlifts should definately help. I know a buddy took 3 weeks off then started doing sumo for 3-4 months. Went back to conventional and smashed his previous PR's within weeks. Sumo has direct carryover to conventional so i would recommend it to break through plateaus and ease your way back into deadlifted (starting light of course).

You should drastically lower the weight and increase the reps for deadlifts aka "back snaps" - HodgeTwins

Doing more reps could help but personally i wouldnt. Deadlifts are a strength/powerliftng movement that needs attention to detail when it comes to form. The more reps you do the more fatigue you will become during your set which increases the chances of breaking form.

At the moment I have Kassian-Front-Delts, Kesler-Side-Delts and Wellwood-Rear-Delts due to a year of (mostly) compound movements.

I think the wellwoods have gotten all they can out of the rowing movements.

I've started doing reverse flyes assuming that this is the only really good isolation move that I can do for the wellwoods since I don't go to a gym ... yes? no?

(I figured a heavy resistance band around an object for "face pulls" is just asking to lose an eye)

(also, you're still thinking about Kesler's weird nudie pic in your head)

Edit: I'm using dumbbells for the reverse flyes, not a resistance band.

upright rows but some people say they're not safe. I perfer face pulls.

Watch a video on foam rolling for lower back soreness.

You basically roll out your glutes and hips to loosen the lower back - avoid rolling your spine.

Can you describe the pain + be a little more specific with the location? Would you say it's a sharp, shooting, dull, or ache-type of pain? Does it radiate anywhere? Do you have it doing any other movements (if so, what?)? Does it hurt to touch over the area where the pain occurs?

I would hold off on foam rolling until you can get it properly diagnosed. The last thing you want to do is add more inflammation to an already injured area.

Even without knowing what the problem is, it would be a good idea to refrain from aggravating activities and begin an ice/anti-inflammatory routine ASAP.

Edited by Denguin

Can you describe the pain + be a little more specific with the location? Would you say it's a sharp, shooting, dull, or ache-type of pain? Does it radiate anywhere? Do you have it doing any other movements (if so, what?)? Does it hurt to touch over the area where the pain occurs?

I would hold off on foam rolling until you can get it properly diagnosed. The last thing you want to do is add more inflammation to an already injured area.

Even without knowing what the problem is, it would be a good idea to refrain from aggravating activities and begin an ice/anti-inflammatory routine ASAP.

This.

Have your go refer you to proper treatment asap. You don't want to mess around with a slipped disc.

I was wondering what's the best way to start weight training? my goal from jan to go from 226 to 170-175 and I've done that, but now I wanna start gaining muscle! also was wondering does lifting weights make you gain weight?

Congratulations on cutting the weight, that is by no means an easy feat.

Have you had any experience with weight training before? Be honest, because this is fairly important before finding a starting point.

With regards to gaining weight, yes you will over time. Most of it to start will be fluid retention, but you will put on lean mass after 8 or so weeks of training regularly. There's a huge difference between lean mass vs body fat though... Essentially, it's a good kind of weight.

Congratulations on cutting the weight, that is by no means an easy feat.

Have you had any experience with weight training before? Be honest, because this is fairly important before finding a starting point.

With regards to gaining weight, yes you will over time. Most of it to start will be fluid retention, but you will put on lean mass after 8 or so weeks of training regularly. There's a huge difference between lean mass vs body fat though... Essentially, it's a good kind of weight.

thank you!! and no I haven't had experience with weight training

I was wondering what's the best way to start weight training? my goal from jan to go from 226 to 170-175 and I've done that, but now I wanna start gaining muscle! also was wondering does lifting weights make you gain weight?

You will only gain weight if you eat enough food. Weight lifting does not make you gain weight by itself, you have to make sure you eat more calories than you take in.

You might be able to get away with a weak diet at when you first start though, due to noob gains.

if you are looking to get shreaded I have the plan for you, 2 things though:

1.It takes discipline but it is do-able

2.It works

The rules

5 mornings a week - have a glass of water and go for a 30 minute run, averaging a sprint for 40-60 seconds every 3 minutes, with the other 2 minutes a jog.

eat only 60g of carbs per day and all must be before 4pm, or noon if you need to shread in a hurry.

the only carbs you can have are brown rice, yam, quinoa, steel cut or whole oatmeal.

otherwise you can only have vegetables and meat.

you can eat as much lean meat / chicken, fish etc as you want

aim for 3 protein shakes a day - a good isolate with 25-30g protein per scoop with less than 5g sugar per scoop. mixed in water or if desparate some skim or 2% milk

lift 5 nights a week

you will lean down fast

sugar will set you back

if you have to cheat on the diet do it earlier in the day before a work out, ideally before 4pm, besty before noon.

so no alcohol, sweets, nuts, cheese, bread, little to no dairy as above etc. the more of this stuff you eat the slower it will go.

• Upvote 1