The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

^^ I eat almonds on the regular. I have cheese every other day usually. No 30 minute runs. Sprinting yes. I usually have carbs all day, but in limited quantity. Lost 15 pounds in the last 6 weeks.

Just lift weights faster. Short rest times. Intense workouts that's all.

Doesn't really matter what you eat, as long as you are getting the proper amount of calories and protein. I'd avoid simple sugars (except immediately after a workout), which can cause your insulin to spike and then drop off dramatically. Other than that, there's no magic or evil foods.

Eat almonds, eat pieces of bread, eat cheese, etc.. just make sure you aren't getting too many/few calories. There's nothing especially bad about carbs. They just happen to be the easiest thing to cut out of your diet, while still maintaining a high protein intake. So if your goal is to cut and you're used to eating chicken with carbs, you definitely don't want to cut the chicken. This is why low carb diets work, not because carbs are especially bad for you.

yeah but are you shreaded? dropping like 2o punds if you were a couch potato before is not big deal, i mean it is but ithought we were talking about getting amazing results

Almost. I was just slightly out of shape 2 months ago. Abs are almost showing!!!

I'm in my mid 30s now, and I hear you on the mobility thing. It's especially bad for people who work desk jobs.

Also physically priorities change when you get older. I always struggled to put on weight in my early twenties... That changed big time later on.

Between the ages of 19-28 there were times when I couldn't wash my own back or back of shoulders ....lol....glad those days are gone but sometimes I miss having that strength.

Between the ages of 19-28 there were times when I couldn't wash my own back or back of shoulders ....lol....glad those days are gone but sometimes I miss having that strength.

That's gross lol..

Maybe that could explain why some big guys I see at the gym have the worst backacne and shoulderacne..

Did you have troubles cleaning number 2 lol..

Edited by drummer4now

That's gross lol..

Maybe that could explain why some big guys I see at the gym have the worst backacne and shoulderacne..

Actually pretty normal. The vast majority of grown men do not have the flexibility to touch all parts of their back.

I think it's worse than I originally described because I hadn't really felt it too much until the last couple days here working out. It's lower back, like above my ass. It's general soreness in that small area only. It actually feels a little "stiff" at times (I guess would be the best way to describe it) bending over or putting on shorts or pants, lol. But throughout the day otherwise it feels completely fine.

Did leg presses last night. Went through my range of motion and felt some discomfort when I shouldn't have and never have before. Did back tonight. Barbell and V Bar rows; discomfort again making it harder to do what I wanted to do. But as mentioned; doing deadlifts themselves was brutal and un-doable after a while.

Would it make any sense going to a doctor? What do you say? My back is sore from weight lifting? Would he or she send you to a chiropractor or just tell you to take a break? I dunno; never done this before :lol:

It it centrally located over the spine? Or off to one side?

Leg presses can be deathly to the back. I personally can never do them without seriously hurting myself. Some people's biomechanics just aren't built for it, and the leg press will transfer all that weight onto the low back. DEFINITELY avoid this exercise in the next couple weeks.

This isn't something where you really go to a doctor for. Your mistake is continuing to put stress on the area when something is clearly wrong. It's not rocket science, if it hurts, don't do it.

For now, I'd just recommend a week of rest with a standard ice/anti-inflammatory regime for the next 48 hours. If your condition does not improve, I'd recommend seeing a physiotherapist. Other exercises that do not involve the low back and are symptom free, you can still do.

That's gross lol..

Lol. Not that bad...and luckily my skin was clear....I had to use a loopha(sp) on the end of a stick....

Oh they younger years.

Get a back scrubber! Will be the best investment you've ever made!

I had a Cher band snap on me once. I really felt like such a badass. :)

I don't have problems with upright rows (mind you, I use light girlie weights and just want toning)....I CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME do pushups though. Just feels uncomfortable, even the weakling ones. When I was in peak shape back in 1929, I still could not do them and felt so defeated. I'd work out for 2 hours and then push ups would take me down.

Badass indeed.

Strange about the pushups. Sounds like it could be an anterior abductor scapula rotator dislocated bbq loinchops issue causing the problem. (I'm at the two years of online researching stage and it's starting to get to me)

Have you tried pushup stands? (makes it much easier on the hands and wrists if that's the problem) Or have you to hell-ed with pushups?

• Upvote 1

anybody got a good biceps plan, I feel like i work out my arms a lot and my trieps get bigger but no my biceps

What kind of lifter are you? Novice, Intermediate, Advanced, etc...

The part I bolded may be your issue. The biceps and triceps are very small muscles and don't require the same work that larger groups like legs and back do. When do you work your arms right now? Say, bis after back + tris after chest or on an entirely separate day? If you're trying to bulk, which it sounds like you are, stick to compound movements rather than isolation movements (i.e: curls). Training the sh*t out of your chest and back will land you gains in your arms too. If you do choose to do arms as well (we all do), don't overdo it. More does not necessarily equal more.

As an example...say you're doing chest and tris one day: Assuming you've done a fairly typical chest workout, I would recommend doing no more than 3-4 sets of triceps exercises afterwards . Actually, I'd say do them on a different day altogether, but even then you have to keep the sets in moderation. I'd say 6-8 sets, given that you're already putting quite a bit of strain on the arm muscles when doing chest/back.

This is a really common mistake in just about any gym you can step into, it's very easy to overtrain.

anybody got a good biceps plan, I feel like i work out my arms a lot and my trieps get bigger but no my biceps

Chinups are amazing for biceps. Preacher curls, concentration curls, pretty much any kind of curling. What I like about biceps is that there is no secret, just do different curls, and do chin ups, and you'll get real nice biceps. I have the opposite problem as you, my triceps don't grow

Doesn't really matter what you eat, as long as you are getting the proper amount of calories and protein. I'd avoid simple sugars (except immediately after a workout), which can cause your insulin to spike and then drop off dramatically. Other than that, there's no magic or evil foods.

Eat almonds, eat pieces of bread, eat cheese, etc.. just make sure you aren't getting too many/few calories. There's nothing especially bad about carbs. They just happen to be the easiest thing to cut out of your diet, while still maintaining a high protein intake. So if your goal is to cut and you're used to eating chicken with carbs, you definitely don't want to cut the chicken. This is why low carb diets work, not because carbs are especially bad for you.

That being said, though, is eating nutritious food not better for your general health? You can lose weight eating McDonalds every day, but you probably won't be getting the nutrients you need.

Would it make any sense going to a doctor? What do you say? My back is sore from weight lifting? Would he or she send you to a chiropractor or just tell you to take a break? I dunno; never done this before :lol:

No no no. Chiropractors are quacks.

I would suggest your first plan - going to a doctor (chiropractors are not doctors; nowhere close).

Either do that or go to a physiotherapist if it does not get better.

TR: really concentrate on what you're doing (or overdoing) in relation to hip flexors and hamstrings because you need to make sure it all balances out. There is some good stuff here...also, proper form for sure but I suggest anyone delving into this stuff really read up on how the different muscle groups react in relation to one another, not just focusing on them on their own.

http://www.lowbackpainprogram.com/hip-flexors-and-hamstrings.html

What the hell do you do for a sore lower back? Literally a couple bad reps or one bad set in several years and I can't even deadlift anymore without significant pain. 465 x 5 x 5 regularly no problem; struggled for 405 x 8 x 2. Got 1 rep third set before calling it quits.

I have a history of lower back problems with my Sacrum.

My friend who is now a buhdist monk teaching holistic healing techniques put me onto an osteopath

His words where chiropractors try to fix the problem , osteopaths try to fix the cause of the problem.

My osteopath is fantastic even when I am at my worst , a treatment or 2 and I am feeling good again.

TR: really concentrate on what you're doing (or overdoing) in relation to hip flexors and hamstrings because you need to make sure it all balances out. There is some good stuff here...also, proper form for sure but I suggest anyone delving into this stuff really read up on how the different muscle groups react in relation to one another, not just focusing on them on their own.

http://www.lowbackpainprogram.com/hip-flexors-and-hamstrings.html

i cant count how many people i see who have an anterior pelvic tilt because of being so quad dominate, yet they dont change the way they train and continue to reinforce the imbalance further putting their lower back in a more vunerable position. Great link by the way.
  • Upvote 1