The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Part of the personal responsibility in working out is to monitor your own pace/form. To not delve into a high intensity program without having learned the basics and, through that, taking care of yourself.

To know how to gauge your heart rate and to listen to your body. Form is square one and if you haven't mastered the basics in that, you're jumping in to programs that aren't likely designed for you.

I know nothing of this one...but that's just a general rule of thumb. There is a reason you have to sign waivers and there are disclaimers...because, really, it's up to you to monitor what you can/can't should/shouldn't do. Everyone is at a different level and has different restrictions....it's up to you to determine and work within that.

(Now I'll actually go have a look see what this program's about)

Actually if you're paying for a personal trainer, group led classes, or any type of instructor I would put the responsibility on them to educate you on proper form. The whole reason people seek fitness training is because they know nothing and are seeking expert guidance. So now it's up to the company to make sure their trainers possess the proper knowledge to help customers. Also, for some people, part of the attraction of crossfit is the competitive, "group motivation" factor. This can be dangerous if the group pushes a person to do what they can't handle. Working out isn't a competition to see who can do the most pullups or the most snatches in a minute.

I don't wanna make it sound like I'm hating on all crossfit boxes, I'm sure there are plenty that are very good. Crossfit boxes are independently owned, without proper quality control that opens up the potential for bad apples.

I wouldn't do it. It obviously depends on your box, but I get the impression that cross fit encourages simply going as hard and fast as you can for a certain period of time with less regard to proper form and safety. A lot of doctors have spoken out against it. It is good in the sense that unlike most fitnwss trends it actually encourages hard work rather than a quick fix. By joining cross fit, you will get in shape. However, there are other, better ways to get in shape that are less taxing on your body and finances.

Granted, everything I know about cross fit is bases on news articles and stereotypes. Just proceed with caution.

That is not an accurate description of crossfit at all. I've been doing it for about 2 years, and the coaches are the ones who are stopping me from going to hard. There is a really big emphasis in Crossfit on not working your way up too quickly. The coaches have nothing to gain from pushing you forward to quickly, other than a lawsuit against them.

The vast majority of the videos you see of people doing crossfit with bad form are not actually at crossfit clubs. You'll notice they are usually filmed in people's garages or at a regular gym. The issue is that people see the "workouts of the day" and assume that is all crossfit is. A typical 1 hour crossfit session consists of 20 minutes of stretching/warming up. 20 minutes of strength or technique work, and the final 20 minutes or so is devouted to the workout of the day. The WOD is really just the test of where you are. It's not the only focus in the class.

While it's true some people get injured doing crossfit, so do many people at the gym. I know far more people that have been injured on their own in the gym that at crossfit.

Crossfit is expensive though. About $1,800 a year at my gym. The coaching is worth it though and on the level of any personal trainer. You're not getting 1 on 1, but you're not paying $50+ a session either.

• Upvote 1

Actually if you're paying for a personal trainer, group led classes, or any type of instructor I would put the responsibility on them to educate you on proper form. The whole reason people seek fitness training is because they know nothing and are seeking expert guidance. So now it's up to the company to make sure their trainers possess the proper knowledge to help customers. Also, for some people, part of the attraction of crossfit is the competitive, "group motivation" factor. This can be dangerous if the group pushes a person to do what they can't handle. Working out isn't a competition to see who can do the most pullups or the most snatches in a minute.

I don't wanna make it sound like I'm hating on all crossfit boxes, I'm sure there are plenty that are very good. Crossfit boxes are independently owned, without proper quality control that opens up the potential for bad apples.

That's not what crossfit is about. Their WOD's will generally consist of a certain amount of exercises/reps/sets for time. Your reps may be 18/14/10/8 for example. It's not a free for all. It's not a "do as many deadlifts at max weight until you die" sort of thing.

You're supposed to know your limits to workout for that rep range. The competitive aspect is there, but you're not going to be competing with the pro athlete to the right of you, or the over weight soccer mom on the left of you.... if you're going to be competitive you're generally going to look towards the people who are similar in skill to yourself. And that's a good thing.

You should really try crossfit someday. I assure you that you will not perish.

• Upvote 1

Hi, I am glad I found this thread. I am interested in getting back to weight lifting as I took a couple of years off due to going back to school. I want to start with a three day a week workout, using light weights and re-establishing the basics and good form. Anyone have any tips, or links to websites with a good three day a week work out?

Hi, I am glad I found this thread. I am interested in getting back to weight lifting as I took a couple of years off due to going back to school. I want to start with a three day a week workout, using light weights and re-establishing the basics and good form. Anyone have any tips, or links to websites with a good three day a week work out?

If going to the gym, 3 times a week I'd suggest a 3 day split.

1) Back/Triceps

2) Legs/Shoulders

3) Bicep/Chest.

If going more often I'd suggest:

1) Back/Legs

2)Triceps/Shoulders

3) Bicep/Chest.

The reason for the difference is that the Legs/Back day is extremely painful, but if going more than 3 times a week, the second split allows for better recovery time. I generally avoid Chest and tris in the same day, as there is too much cross-over between the workouts. Some people prefer the cross-over, but I prefer to really focus on one muscle group and hit it.

After losing 40 pounds over a year ago, still kept most of it off. I've gained about 6 pounds over the last 5 months, and haven't been working out. Have been thinking about cutting out my coffee (cream/sugar), cutting out my cheese and milk intake, and getting back to the swimming pool.

I am going back to the gym for the first time since seperating my shoulder 3 months ago during hockey. I gained 23 lbs of not useful weight... lets put it that way. Back to diet and back to training. Anyone workout at the YMCA in surrey?

I am going back to the gym for the first time since seperating my shoulder 3 months ago during hockey. I gained 23 lbs of not useful weight... lets put it that way. Back to diet and back to training. Anyone workout at the YMCA in surrey?

used to go there, prices are ridiculous and it gets way to crowded mid day.

if you're a beginner id recommend A full body routine or a ppl if you really dont like full body.

I usually recommend this to my friends who are new to working out. They usually do it for about 3-5 months to build their foundation before moving on.

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

• 3 weeks later...

I dunno mangs, I might be done for. Really trying to rest it. Skipped leg day for the first time in years.

Did front squats 3 weeks ago. Felt good until the end when it became aggravated.

Tried leg press and nearly died on the first set 2 weeks ago. Rested this week.

Went to bend over and pick up a bar for the cables the other night, tweaked the crap out of it for a moment there. I feel fine now but the shot it sent through my lower back, holy crap. :lol:

GOING CRAZY!!! Broke my wrist 4 weeks ago, and have been relegated to legs/abs and a ton of cardio. My gains in my arm/chest/shoulders slowly degrading and there is nothing I can do.... To make it worse, my stag is in vegas 4 weeks after I get the cast off....

Positive is I look way leaner, on account of the cardio...

Negative is my arms are shrinking!

GOING CRAZY!!! Broke my wrist 4 weeks ago, and have been relegated to legs/abs and a ton of cardio. My gains in my arm/chest/shoulders slowly degrading and there is nothing I can do.... To make it worse, my stag is in vegas 4 weeks after I get the cast off....

Positive is I look way leaner, on account of the cardio...

Negative is my arms are shrinking!

Muscle memory will be good for you. You'll regain the muscle in a few weeks of working out.

Muscle memory will be good for you. You'll regain the muscle in a few weeks of working out.

Ya, from my research this last month thats what I have concluded as well.

Sucks though right now, I went from 195 down to 187 in 4 weeks. I wanted to cut around now anyways, but cutting lifting out completely has caused significant mass decreases... Im really hoping I can just pump it back...

Ya, from my research this last month thats what I have concluded as well.

Sucks though right now, I went from 195 down to 187 in 4 weeks. I wanted to cut around now anyways, but cutting lifting out completely has caused significant mass decreases... Im really hoping I can just pump it back...

I feel ya. Went a few months away from the gym for personal and family reasons and ended up back at square 1 pretty much. If I'd eaten better (and more importantly, more) while on my hiatus I probably would be better off but oh well. Never had a great bench to begin with but it's pretty brutal now, and my squat and deadlift, which were quite strong, are now pretty dam average. I don't know about you but I do find it's coming back fairly fast (I've been back at it for like 2-3 weeks now). Some people have commented on muscle gain so I'll take that as a plus. It's just so hard to get going again, I haven't taken time off the gym since I started working out so this has been a struggle. Lots of long sleeves to cover up the skinny arms lol