The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Anyone else get nauseous? It rarely happens to me but it's happened the last two leg days where I don't finish my workout for fear of having to put my head over the crapper for ten or so minutes. I'm use to this sort of work. It's low rep strength training with lengthy breaks in between. I'm used to pushing myself that hard so I don't get it why this happens.

Obviously this would make much more sense if it was a new cardio regime you're not used to or something but when it's something I've been doing literally for years..

Legs do that to you. Whenever I do fairly heavy, and 25 reps on the leg press, oh yeah I feel it. I feel a bit light headed and while I dont feel like throwing up, there have been times in the past.

Leg exercises use all the energy you have.

Anyone else get nauseous? It rarely happens to me but it's happened the last two leg days where I don't finish my workout for fear of having to put my head over the crapper for ten or so minutes. I'm use to this sort of work. It's low rep strength training with lengthy breaks in between. I'm used to pushing myself that hard so I don't get it why this happens.

Obviously this would make much more sense if it was a new cardio regime you're not used to or something but when it's something I've been doing literally for years..

Ya, especially when I was logging PWO's for different companies, some of them made me feel like I was sea sick.

I really focused on my breathing while lifting and found that helped. Used to hold my breath doing stuff like heavy leg press and afterwords would get a headache and feel a bit sick.

Ya, especially when I was logging PWO's for different companies, some of them made me feel like I was sea sick.

I really focused on my breathing while lifting and found that helped. Used to hold my breath doing stuff like heavy leg press and afterwords would get a headache and feel a bit sick.

Maybe that's what I'm doing and don't even notice it. If that's true then I must not do it during any other leg exercises. Weird

Whether you want to or not, when performing a heavy lift you WILL perform a valsalva. Don't fight it because it is a protective measure for the spine, and it does not cause stroke issues: http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/the_valsalva_and_stroke

Maybe that's what I'm doing and don't even notice it. If that's true then I must not do it during any other leg exercises. Weird

Holding your breath (valsalva maneuver) is a natural reaction when under strain. You do it subconciously when pushing out a poop. Contrary to what some less than smart Dr's would have you belive, it isn't actually dangerous (see above link).

I used to puke often when I'm at the gym. Later on I realized that I was drinking way too much water. While being hydrated is very important... it's unlike you'll ever suffer from dehydration.

Also.... better to bulk and then cut or vice versa?

Edited by Lancaster

I used to puke often when I'm at the gym. Later on I realized that I was drinking way too much water. While being hydrated is very important... it's unlike you'll ever suffer from dehydration.

Also.... better to bulk and then cut or vice versa?

For bulk vs. cut, it depends on where you are currently at. So what are your current stats (height & weight)?

Do you guys use the heaviest weight you can? Or a bit lower (like me)

It makes a hugeeee difference for me at least in adding size. I no longer try to dumbbell press something I have to use all my muscles to do example shoulders, arms and chest.

Drop the weight 5-10 pounds, and use JUST your chest and oh god the muscle contractions are amazing, no longer feel it in my shoulders or whatever and I always get a great workout.

Higher reps, and more holding the contraction.

Not to mention the gains have been amazing since I switched:)

Edited by PlayStation

For bulk vs. cut, it depends on where you are currently at. So what are your current stats (height & weight)?

Approximately 5'10, 185lbs.... I think body fat of like around 22%.

Trying to remove the fat around the stomach area and also want to add more muscle to upper body.

Wutsup fellas, I got a question for ya'll if you could share some insight (no not the drama crap, f' them)....

I've never been consistent at the gym up in till about the last 4 months (go a month here and there etc).... So I've never properly developed a masculine figure, I still have the figure of a 16yr old teen, I'm in my early 20's (smfh).

In 4 months I've shed off 30+lbs of fat, and brought my fitness level up.

Now I want to start getting jacked.

If ya'll have read my posts before, you know my gym doesn't have the basics (bench/squat/dead/preacher).... so I'm switching over to the one that does.

Im dedicated, motivated and ready to put in the work.

My question is, how long till I start developing a more manly figure (pecs emerging, body widening, back growing etc).... after hitting the basic compound movements.... I got a year until I have to leave Vancity for a while, Can I transform myself in a year?

Wutsup fellas, I got a question for ya'll if you could share some insight (no not the drama crap, f' them)....

I've never been consistent at the gym up in till about the last 4 months (go a month here and there etc).... So I've never properly developed a masculine figure, I still have the figure of a 16yr old teen, I'm in my early 20's (smfh).

If ya'll have read my posts before, you know my gym doesn't have the basics (bench/squat/dead/preacher).... so I'm switching over to the one that does.

My question is, how long till I start developing a more manly figure (pecs emerging, body widening, back growing etc).... after hitting the basic compound movements.... I got a year until I have to leave Vancity for a while, Can I transform myself in a year?

Takes more time than a year. At 13 months and my chest has not fully developed and filled in at the top.

Although I let off on bulking up and eating properly for awhile during that time, so I could of been further, starting to eat good once again now.

Takes years. But you will be miles away from where you are now in a year.

I put in an average of 15-17 days a month during school months. Summer I would go much more, once went 10 days straight (rotating muscles in a 3 day cycle)

Edited by PlayStation

If you're the immediate gratification type, trying to get big won't be for you. It takes years, not months. This is a long, slow grind but I think it is worth it. You can make very solid progress in a year, but what actually happens, and what you expect to happen will most likely not match up. .

IMO, you'd be best served by spending 6-12 months getting strong in the basics (squat, bench, deadlift) and then start adding in more assistancy (lifts that cannot be infinitely loaded) type stuff.

Best of luck and keep it up.

Takes more time than a year. At 13 months and my chest has not fully developed and filled in at the top.

Although I let off on bulking up and eating properly for awhile during that time, so I could of been further, starting to eat good once again now.

Takes years. But you will be miles away from where you are now in a year.

I put in an average of 15-17 days a month during school months. Summer I would go much more, once went 10 days straight (rotating muscles in a 3 day cycle)

If you're the immediate gratification type, trying to get big won't be for you. It takes years, not months. This is a long, slow grind but I think it is worth it. You can make very solid progress in a year, but what actually happens, and what you expect to happen will most likely not match up. .

IMO, you'd be best served by spending 6-12 months getting strong in the basics (squat, bench, deadlift) and then start adding in more assistancy (lifts that cannot be infinitely loaded) type stuff.

Best of luck and keep it up.

Thanks for the replies, I think I worded it wrong.... I know it takes years of lifting to reach the point where we all want to be.... my question was more so, if I can transform from my body type now, into a more masculine within a year.... I think PS answered my q with I'll be miles from where I am now....

I agree Hank, I should stick with the bread n butter movements for a while, since I haven't even done those before, only used dumbbells (when I did go here n there)

Edited by key2thecup

Thanks for the replies, I think I worded it wrong.... I know it takes years of lifting to reach the point where we all want to be.... my question was more so, if I can transform from my body type now, into a more masculine within a year.... I think PS answered my q with I'll be miles from where I am now....

I agree Hank, I should stick with the bread n butter movements for a while, since I haven't even done those before, only used dumbbells (when I did go here n there)

Yesh you totally can, you will be miles ahead of where you used to be, you'll look much better than you did, however you will still be a long long way away from your end goal (if your goal is to be huge) But you will be more masculine forsure, the base of your frame should develop easily within that year or less.

Put in the effort, and the results will be well worth what you went through, and it'll only motivate you to keep going.

I'm a natty, not sure about others here, so it'll take me a lot longer to get to where I want to be.

It will take years to reach your full potential, but you can make a huge improvement in one year, especially if it's your first year of lifting. You have to remember that the average person has a pretty unimpressive physique, so if you do things properly for a full year you will probably look better than 90% of the general population. You may not be huge but you can easily look "strong" or "athletic" to the average joe.

Edited by etsen3

It will take years to reach your full potential, but you can make a huge improvement in one year, especially if it's your first year of lifting. You have to remember that the average person has a pretty unimpressive physique, so if you do things properly for a full year you will probably look better than 90% of the general population. You may not be huge but you can easily look "strong" or "athletic" to the average joe.

Exactly what my aim is for a year goal. Right now at 6' I look lanky and narrow. I want to start widening and achieving that look, need to start somewhere.

Good to hear. It's amazing what gaining 30-40lbs of (mostly) good weight does for how you look.

Will you look how you want? No. Will others (especially the women) think you look much better? Yes.

My recommendation would be to do the Starting Strength (google this and Mark Rippetoe) linear progression while eating lots and drinking a decent amount of milk. You'll be amazed at how quickly you can go from "weak" to "not fracking around" territory.

• Upvote 1

Holding your breath (valsalva maneuver) is a natural reaction when under strain. You do it subconciously when pushing out a poop. Contrary to what some less than smart Dr's would have you belive, it isn't actually dangerous (see above link).

Yeah, I obviously don't get why it happens. As I mentioned earlier that I had been doing DB lunges and split squats weeks prior with heavy ass weight by my standards and never felt nauseous. Maybe my nutrition/diet was lacking somewhat those days of hack squats.